Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2007, 14:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Srinagar-Leh Road is now open

Snow has been cleared at Zoji La Pass and the Srinagar-Zoji La-Dras-
Kargil-Leh road reopened on May 1 after being closed since November
last year. Compared to last year, it has reopened 22 days ahead.

The Ladakh Autonomous Hill DEvelopment Council webs-ite also confirms
this news:
[COLOR=#9136ad]http://leh.nic.in/default.htm[/COLOR]

Srinagar-Zoji La-Dras-Kargil road has now been declared a National
Highway - NH 1-D

The Manali-Leh road continues to remain closed, there is no news on
when it will reopen.

Kumar
Old 2nd May 2007, 15:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Manali Leh road makes more sense for the Road travellers since the Srinagar route is a bit too long.
I may be wrong here, but people say that Manali route is safer due to volatile J&K situation(attacks on tourists last year etc.,)
Old 2nd May 2007, 15:43   #3
BHPian

More than the terrorists I would be worried about the kind of traffic you encounter between Jammu – Srinagar.

Had few narrow escapes while coming back from my Ladakh trip last year, couple of times I missed trucks by couple of inches and that was despite the fact that I had already gone off road in my lane to avoid them.

On the Manali route traffic is a lot more sensible, not to mention it is more scenic and tougher than Srinagar – Leh route. Srinagar – Leh is a piece of cake and kind of a race track with only problem zone being Zoji La.
Old 2nd May 2007, 15:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

When the road reopens, there is a rush of military/ truck convoys in teh first few days - not for the tourist. Besides, the road is very slushy, dislocations can be high and better to wait till conditions stabilise.
Old 2nd May 2007, 15:55   #5
Team-BHP Support

But I guess reaching Srinagar by road is a project in itself! 850 odd kms, 2 days of travel!
Old 2nd May 2007, 23:04   #6
Team-BHP Support

May be I need to advance my trip time this year. Let's see.
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When the road reopens, there is a rush of military/ truck convoys in teh first few days - not for the tourist. Besides, the road is very slushy, dislocations can be high and better to wait till conditions stabilise.
That’s wheel spinning fun, crossed Zoji La in 2005 while it was raining lightly and wheelspins at a couple of places were quite fun . But my friends on regular tires didn’t like it (I use FKR Ranger on my bike).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But I guess reaching Srinagar by road is a project in itself! 850 odd kms, 2 days of travel!
Yeah, Jammu – Srinagar is especially boring and tiring. Too much traffic, lots of Army convoys which you have to overtake again and again and add to that you can’t stop every where like one does in Himachal to take photographs etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
May be I need to advance my trip time this year. Let's see.
When are you planning to go this year? If you want we can go together in September, we have a big group that will be going to Ladakh this year. 15 bikes, 8 people in 2 Innovas/Qualis (hired ones) confirmed for now.
Old 3rd May 2007, 02:47   #8
BHPian

Hey yogesh, amazing work on the Ladakh destination guide. Must have..
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:02   #9
BHPian

Thanks Nitin, right now working on the comprehensive guide to Ladakh. Hopefully that will be up in a few days time.
Old 3rd May 2007, 13:27   #10
Team-BHP Support

Yogesh make sure that you include a list of places to stay en-route(non tented) too. Would make good sense for those of us who like a little less adventure
Old 5th May 2007, 19:47   #11
BHPian

the manali-leh route opens for public on the 10th of may.
yes the manali route is shorter but then coming back the same way from leh doesnt make sense for many and for them, the srinagar route is always there. this way, we can do a loop too and see the beautiful kashmir valley
Old 6th May 2007, 04:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Yogesh make sure that you include a list of places to stay en-route(non tented) too. Would make good sense for those of us who like a little less adventure
Will try my best
Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyPunia View Post
the manali-leh route opens for public on the 10th of may.
yes the manali route is shorter but then coming back the same way from leh doesnt make sense for many and for them, the srinagar route is always there. this way, we can do a loop too and see the beautiful kashmir valley
Quite true, but the traffic is the real pain in the rear but worth it if you are going there for the first time.
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:57   #13
BANNED

As per OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DISTRICT LEH (LADAKH), both the roads Manali to Leh & Srinagar to Leh are open, as of now.
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:13   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not so...last year came down from Leh to Srinagar. Started at 4am from Leh, crossed Kargil around 8am. Had brunch at Sonamarg and spent four hours seeing the place and then drove on to get to Srinagar houseboat by five in the evening.
It depends on catching the one way (if it is in force) portions in time. Fortunately when I travelled one way restrictions for light vehicles were lifted.

I know lot of peopple cpmplain of hair raising experiences with uphill trucks. But light vehcile owners also have to realise what difficulty these giys are operating in - under powered vehicle up a steep climb and some times overloaded to boot. So if you are a little courteous in giving them enough room and help them avoid slowing down both (you and the trucker) will be happier. Of course this does not absolve abominal maniac drivers who will just want right of way whatever be the situation.

Edit: Oh I realized tsk meant Srinager - Delhi right?....Agin do able in a day if you start from Delhi by 3/4 am you can be in Srinagar by night. Make sure you cross Jwahar Tunnel before sundown and take Jammu bypass from Samba to Udhampur.

Last edited by sudev : 22nd June 2008 at 20:16.
Old 22nd June 2008, 20:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

This road as well as the Manali-Leh road keep having landslides and occasionally close down for 1-2 days. For instance, 2 days ago, the Manali-Leh road was closed at Gulaba (before Rohtang Pass) thanks to a landslide.

Therefore, keep a sharp eye out the week before you depart for any news on he road's current status.

Tribune Newspaper, www.TheTribuneIndia.com ,
Yogesh Sarkar's www.BMCTouring.com,
Leh Autonomous Hill Development Council, OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF DISTRICT LEH (LADAKH) ,
as well as this Forum itself keep track of the road condition, hence please refer to these invaluable sources of info

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks