Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2007, 15:11   #1
Senior - BHPian

Directions to get to GST Road, Guindy, Chennai

Hello, folks!

My Dad is visiting Chennai in a couple of days. He'll be most likely getting to Chennai by train. He needs to get to GST Road, Guindy, Chennai (Pin-600032).

I'd be grateful if you Chennai Boys could help me out with some info:
1. Which train station should he stop at? Egmore or Chennai Central?
2. How far away is Guindy from Chennai Central?
3. How best can he get to GST Road in Guindy from Chennai Central?

In case he's flying:
4. How far is Guindy from the airport?
5. How best can he get to GST Road in Guindy from the airport?

Thanks in advance
Old 8th May 2007, 18:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
Hello, folks!

My Dad is visiting Chennai in a couple of days. He'll be most likely getting to Chennai by train. He needs to get to GST Road, Guindy, Chennai (Pin-600032).

I'd be grateful if you Chennai Boys could help me out with some info:
1. Which train station should he stop at? Egmore or Chennai Central?
Chennai Central & Egmore station are close to each other. (10 minutes max) Does not matter. If he wants to use the suburban train to get to Guindy, then Egmore is better.

Quote:
2. How far away is Guindy from Chennai Central?
About 12 kms+. Basically drive down Mount Road and you are there in Guindy !

Quote:
3. How best can he get to GST Road in Guindy from Chennai Central?
Where in Guindy? Easiest way to get to Guindy is to take the suburban train. From Chennai Central he has to get out of the station, cross the road and board the train from Park Station.

From Egmore station its easier, just get to the overbridge alongside the platform and crossover to the suburban stations.

Quote:
In case he's flying:
4. How far is Guindy from the airport?
5. How best can he get to GST Road in Guindy from the airport?
Guindy is 10 minutes from airport. Nice 4 lane road leading upto Guindy. Used to never have any signals till Guindy, but now there are 3 or 4 of them !

Best is to take a taxi. Book a taxi from the counter within the airport. Should cost very less as its pretty close by. Guindy is like basically the end of the airport + 3 kms away.

Quote:
Thanks in advance
You're welcome.
Old 8th May 2007, 22:57   #3
BHPian

I think you have better trains from Cochin to Chennai terminating at Chennai Central. The trains terminating at Egmore are slower.

There is a call taxi stand in Chennai Central also now. ( I Think Ravi Brothers ) You will have to take a side exit to get to it.

All other info provided by csentil would suffice. If you need specific info let us know and we will help as much possible
Old 8th May 2007, 23:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks, csentil & sreedotk That's all the info I need.

Thanks also to Sideways who called me up a few minutes after I posted the thread.

I'm trying to convince him to fly (the airport is really nearby), but he just won't. Dad still prefers trains to every other option.
Old 8th May 2007, 23:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok View Post
I'm trying to convince him to fly (the airport is really nearby), but he just won't. Dad still prefers trains to every other option.
I am sure he will change his mind if he travels by Mangalore/Chennai Mail/West coast express. ... I havent travelled by train since..
Old 8th May 2007, 23:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

All good trains land in chennai central. Just ask him to take a call taxi from there to his destination. it would cost him approximately 200 rs. else , if he is the old fashioned type & carrying less luggage he could just cross the road & board a Suburban EMU from the park station to guindy which would cost him maybe 10 rs. else you please ask him to give me a call & i would be happy to help him out.
cheers
Old 9th May 2007, 20:19   #7
BHPian

Airport to Guindy is very near ....... you have both options of either going by a sub train or taxi or a rik ... it all depends on the luggage as well . ....

I would suggest Travelling by local trains as the frequency is very good ... approx every 10 min ...rather than on road because of the traffic and also at many places fly over constructions are going on esp near Airport ..which will make ones life terrible..

I had been to chennai a week ago ... i commuted using the local trains and my destination was Guindy .
Old 10th May 2007, 00:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romyeo4u View Post
Airport to Guindy is very near ....... you have both options of either going by a sub train or taxi or a rik ... it all depends on the luggage as well . ....

I would suggest Travelling by local trains as the frequency is very good ... approx every 10 min ...rather than on road because of the traffic and also at many places fly over constructions are going on esp near Airport ..which will make ones life terrible..

I had been to chennai a week ago ... i commuted using the local trains and my destination was Guindy .
You'll have to walk across from the airport to Tirisulam railway station. There is a subway which gets you to the station if I remember correctly. If there's too much luggage, its not possible. Also Chennai is sweltering now. 39 degrees Celsius today.
Old 10th May 2007, 08:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Thanks again guys I've persuaded him to travel by air. Works out better overall since he's there only for a day anyway. Its pretty convenient that Guindy is just about 5 minutes form the airport.

And e_l, thanks again for offering to help him.

I love you guys

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks