Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2021, 01:57   #16
BHPian

Re: Non-hill station getaways around Bangalore

Mysore is under a weekend curfew so wouldn't be an option. Hampi is too far to be a weekend getaway unless you only want to drive and not experience Hampi.

I would say as long as you are able to drive in those steep narrow roads in west Bangalore ( jp nagar banashankari etc) most of these hills wouldn't be an issue.
anandhsub is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 12:56   #17

I am a newbie driver too - have about 30K kms under the belt in an year. Have driven to Ooty, Kodaikanal, Munnar (via Bodimetu) and returned via Marayoor and Chinnar to Pondi. No drama except for one steep hair pin climb before Munnar where I stalled in 2nd gear - my error as I should have been in 1st.

I would say tackle the hills - that's the best way to grow in confidence. Pick out a place where you have good visibility - since if you drive up the hills during the monsoon, you will have to counter fog and mist and it will not be confidence inspiring.

Practise start stop on an incline (my car doesn't have the hill hold assist not sure about yours and I dunno if that aids much on a steep incline - experienced members can comment).

One tip about the hair pin bends - if you have a right hairpin bend, watch out for any heavy vehicles coming down or going up - stop a good 200 mts before the hair pin bend since the heavy vehicle will cut into your lane when taking the curve (I learnt this from a youtube video). For the heavy vehicle it's a left hair pin bend and they have to cut into the opposite lane to take the turn. Watch a few videos and you will know how they negotiate the turns.

Climb up in 3rd gear at the most. Stick to 30 Kmph per hour and not more when climbing down (you will actually find sign boards asking you to stick to 30Kmph or operate your vehicle in 2nd gear in some places). This gives you more control rather than hurtling down at 40/50 kmph and eventually having to brake hard.

Another tip: Allow the local jeeps, trucks and even cars to pass. They will be a little more faster than you having tackled those roads multiple times and you don't want them in your ORVMs all the time ��. When you have a chance to allow them to pass, do let them.

And most of all, enjoy the hills! They are amazing!!
jazrox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 14:39   #18
BHPian

Since you are not confident on a drive through the ghats currently, look for an option that has a normal connectivity like Hampi and Pondicherry. You can spend the weekend and enjoy the cultural aspects and picturesque locales. Post a couple of road trips like these, your confidence level would improve and then start with places like Kabini and Chikamagalur.
karavadi143 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2021, 15:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Hi all,

Me and my wife have decided to take a short trip in this 3 day weekend. However, am a fairly new driver with no experience driving on hilly roads, sharp hairpin bends, narrow roads with cliff on one side, ghat sections etc.
Since you are looking for 3 days here, Hampi is a good place. As Dr.AD mentioned, its flat (and good) road all the way. Just make sure not to be carried away by the good road . Find a good place (lots of resorts) near the ruins and you won't go wrong. (BTW, me and my friend are planning a trip to Sandur, a place near to Hampi, in about 2 to 3 weeks. (Not hard to find but PM me and I can share more details))

Coming to driving on hilly area, not sure of your location in Bangalore, but you can practice 'stop/go technique' on some roads of south west Bangalore (areas around Girinagar, PES engineering college, Nagarbavi, RR nagar, etc) if you stay nearby.

Happy driving!
Old 21st August 2021, 19:44   #20
BHPian

Hampi is a good option during this time of the year as it's not quite sunny and amazing roads to drive on throughout. Don't worry about driving experience, the more you drive, the more you'll learn to handle different scenarios on the road. However don't try to accelerate too much as a new driver and use indicators liberally.

Rest of the states I can't comment due to the erratic announcement of lockdowns all of a sudden
jithin23 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2022, 17:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2693 View Post
Hi all,

Me and my wife have decided to take a short trip in this 3 day weekend.
So, please share the place you picked and did your first trip and share any insights from the trip.
Old 13th May 2022, 21:45   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaitanyakrish View Post
So, please share the place you picked and did your first trip and share any insights from the trip.
I ended up going to Chikmagalur. The drive till my hotel was nothing of concern, 2-lane road but not tricky or anything. For going to the Mullayanagiri peak (primary attraction of the place), I booked a cab. That place was a bit tricky to drive for a novice like me. Proper ghat section, which even got foggy as we went to the top.

The trip was very relaxing, the drive from Bangalore itself was very nice. After driving in busier highways, the much emptier highways were a welcome hoot to drive in. The 2-lane highway as you get closer to Chikmagalur were surrounded by lush greenery and amazing to drive through.

The place is good for a 2-3 day trip. Around half a day for the Mullayanagiri peak and the places surrounding it like Jog falls and all. Otherwise few places around, not much. There is also a temple on the way to Chikamagalur that you can visit as well. I did not get a chance due to timing.
sen2693 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks