Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2007, 08:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pondy Trip. Ideas required.

Hi
I am planning to take my family for a trip to pondicherry this weekend. This is the first time I am going to Pondy after almost 18 years. I would appreciate if anyone who has been there recently could guide me on the good stuff there (i know alcohol is cheap ). My sons are eager for a boat trip, beach etc.

Also regarding the route, I am in Koyambedu & would like to know if there is any route without cutting right across the city.
Thanks

Last edited by esteem_lover : 22nd May 2007 at 08:18.
Old 22nd May 2007, 08:55   #2
BHPian

Have you already booked? Finding a nice place to stay can sometimes be the hardest thing. And I'm not sure if you'll get beach and boat rides if you stay near the Promenade.
Old 22nd May 2007, 09:42   #3
Senior - BHPian

Please get the thread title changed to Pondicherry
Old 22nd May 2007, 09:48   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Have you already booked? Finding a nice place to stay can sometimes be the hardest thing. And I'm not sure if you'll get beach and boat rides if you stay near the Promenade.
Booking is not yet confirmed. Somebody is trying that. I would like to know of any fun place to hang out with the family. I can always drive to wherever the fun things are.
Old 22nd May 2007, 09:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Try the hotel just opp the Gandhi Mandapam on the beach, Hotel Ajantha Sea View? You get the cool breeze of the sea and booze is good too. Book in Advance.
Check The Official Website for Tourism Department-Government Of puducherry. Has all details of things to do in Pondy. Enjoy pannae.
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

I went to Pondy twice and both the times I prefered Banyan Beach Resort which is on ECR about 10km frm Pondy center. I liked the resort and the food.

Abhi
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I went to Pondy twice and both the times I prefered Banyan Beach Resort which is on ECR about 10km frm Pondy center. I liked the resort and the food.

Abhi
could you give me details regarding the room rates etc please ?
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

hey..im from pondy..if you dont want to cut across the city then i would recommend taking the by-pass(road is really good) to tindivanam and then to pondy..lots of neat hotels available now a days..if you want to stay by the sea shore then, ajantha or banyan beach resort or some other resort along side ECR(near auroville) are advisable..regarding the boat ride, you might have to go to nonnankuppam backwaters boathouse(cuddalore road)..you can enjoy the beach in auroville(about 8 to 12 kms from pondy city in ECR), pondy city beach is heavily crowded now as it is vacation season..if you are planning to stay in the city then u may choose between annamalai international, jayaram hotel, anandha inn or ram international...any other queries, please feel free..
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
could you give me details regarding the room rates etc please ?
You can give a call and enquire your needs/queries
Phone number: 04132234866
Address: Kuttakupam, Off ECR Road, TN

I went on March 2005 and Sept 2005. Both the time the rate was Rs 600 / day for a cottage (non AC). In a cottage you get a double room with TV and attached Bath.

Abhi
Old 22nd May 2007, 11:41   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks abhi. I will try contacting them too.

Thanks ajo for the link, pretty useful too.
Old 23rd May 2007, 14:44   #11
BHPian

You can even drive to Kailash Beach Resort, it is some 20+ kms after Pondicherry but is a nice and quiet place with some influence of French Architecture. It has its own private beach. The rates are a little high around Rs. 1500+ for a double room.

There is also Ashok Beach Resort some 10-12 kms before Pondicherry which is also pretty good, you can call them and make a reservation.
Old 23rd May 2007, 15:29   #12
Senior - BHPian

saurabh, how is the beach in kailash. Is it clean, is it private ?From what you say, it sounds good to me. Is it good for a family hangout ?
Old 23rd May 2007, 18:54   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
saurabh, how is the beach in kailash. Is it clean, is it private ?From what you say, it sounds good to me. Is it good for a family hangout ?
Kailash Beach resort - [url="http://www.kailashbeachhotel.com/"]www.kailashbeachhotel.com

The place is really good and clean. Nice place for a family hangout. But the food sucks. Booze is expensive here.

I was there for a weekend a few months back. The place is always packed on the weekends. This place is on Pondy - Cudlore route.
Old 23rd May 2007, 21:22   #14
BHPian

Looks like you are almost done with the planning, but be wary of the sun. The last time I went to Pondy on a summer day, I got sun-burns. I kid you not. Of course, I did quite a bit of driving (2 wheelers) et al, but the upper skin in my hands were a horrible sight the next weeks. Net-net - watch out the sun!
Old 23rd May 2007, 21:51   #15
BHPian

Hi EL,

If you like lots of twists and turns/planning to start early and like some good early morning scenery, please take the ECR. No doubts about it. But you have to cross the city. But again, starting early, this should not be a problem

If you like straight stretches, then take the Tindivanam route to pondy on the Golden Quadrilateral and is relatively free in the mornings, though the same cannot be said about the evenings. Absolutely nothing to see (read - scenery) but the beautiful Golden quadrilateral stretching from Perungalathur to Tindivanam.

Sorry No idea about resorts / beaches in pondy

Hope you enjoy your stay there

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks