Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2022, 03:58   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Tiruvannamalai Temple: Current situation and restrictions?

Wife suddenly announced a day trip (from home in Chennai) to Tiruvannamili! Even has an estimate from our usual driver.

I pipe up that I'd actually like to drive, if we stay overnight and don't do the round trip in one day.

What is the current procedure/restrictions at the temple (Arulmigu Arunachaleswarar of course)?

-- I read that they ask for double vax cert. We both have.

We are not planning to visit on a busy, special day (15th Feb probably). Can one just wander in and out or is there a security system?

-- Do they allow phones inside?

-- Do they allow cameras inside?

-- I imagine that the usual restrictions apply to the family member with non-brown skin? I don't mind.

Mrs G wants to visit lingams. Whilst she is much fitter than me, I doubt that she will walk 14km! From what I see on youtube, it is an ordinary road (at least on non-special days) with ordinary traffic?

I don't know how much climbing she's interested to do, but

-- Is the hill itself currently open to visitors?

We booked one night at Hotel Arunachala. Reviews are mixed, but it caught my eye on the map as being wonderful placed.

(I don't know if it is wise or stupid, but after two years of nothing, suddenly travel is back on the agenda, with this trip, and, two days later, leaving for a few days in Wayanad --- which we will do with a driver, as I really don't have the stamina for 10-12 hour drives and am not yet prepared to do trains/planes)

We will have one afternoon, one evening and one morning there. Could have been longer, but we had already committed to another trip a couple of days later!

I plan to leave Chennai (South) not-too-early morning (8am maybe) and take GST route. Google maps says 4 hours, so I'll count on 5+ and take it easy. Any comments welcome.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 5th February 2022 at 04:00.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 08:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Tiruvannamalai Temple: Current situation and restrictions?

I take it that you're referring to Tiruvannamalai?

Tiruvannamalai Temple: Current situation and restrictions?-screenshot_20220205085059.png
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 09:40   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thad - I’ve only visited the temple and haven’t gone around doing the 13KM. There was special entry tickets they were selling. A friend was telling me that you have to Pre-Book your Darshan times ahead. I just checked the temple
Website and there is a provision to ebook/per book Darshan times. Might be a good idea to pay and secure the time slot.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 09:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thad,

Since you are on ECR (Palavakkam I think). You can take ECR-Mahabalipuram bypass-Chengalpattu-GST, you can forget about all the GST quirkiness till Paranur. Beyond Vettuvankeni, it is usually peaceful to drive.

Rather than take the Tindivanam route, take the Villupuram bypass-Vettavalam-Kedar route. This is much peaceful to drive. Tindivanam route is in permanent state of construction for the last decade and half.

Temples are open Monday-Tuesday, so you are covered there since you are travelling on the 15th.Weekdays crowd should be manageable.

About girivalam, my wife and family friends took an auto for part distance. They were in their late 30s and late 40s respectively. You can leverage them, if you are too exhausted to walk.
narayans80 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 10:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What is the current procedure/restrictions at the temple (Arulmigu Arunachaleswarar of course)?
I last visited in Dec 2021. Below was the situation at that time.

Quote:
-- I read that they ask for double vax cert. We both have.
This is a new rule introduced from Jan 2022. Even if strictly implemented you would not have a problem if you both have the certificate.

Quote:
Can one just wander in and out or is there a security system?
There is a security system. But a darshan booking was never needed even after the pandemic.

Quote:
-- Do they allow phones inside?
-- Do they allow cameras inside?
Yes. People take photos and videos using their mobiles. Regarding cameras I am not sure.

Quote:
-- I imagine that the usual restrictions apply to the family member with non-brown skin? I don't mind.
Prior to covid, foreigners inside the temple was a regular sight. I am not sure what all restrictions apply, but there might be some rules.

Quote:
I doubt that she will walk 14km! From what I see on Youtube, it is an ordinary road (at least on non-special days) with ordinary traffic?
Yes. For a major part, there are well-laid footpaths. There are benches by the roadside, but only for about 50% of the route.

Quote:
-- Is the hill itself currently open to visitors?
To the best of my knowledge, no. Trekking is banned.

Quote:
We booked one night at Hotel Arunachala. Reviews are mixed, but it caught my eye on the map as being wonderful placed.
The hotel is very close to the main entrance of the temple. But the approach roads are very narrow. When I stayed there, car parking was a big problem. One entered through the back gate, parked in a narrow space adjacent to the hotel, and exited through the front gate. When exiting, I had to wait for an hour because another guest's car had to be moved before I could take my car. That was over 7 years back. Now it seems they have basement parking but I am not sure. You might like to recheck on that.
Besides, I would strongly advise to carry a mosquito repellent. Some hotels do provide it, but better to be on the safer side.
adisan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 14:47   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to all for your help and information. I've asked the mods if the can add the missing letter to the place name.

I had noticed on the hotel website that they have car parking: will double check that they have space available for us. I was expecting roads approaching the temple itself to be quite narrow.

Will certainly take our own mossie repellent --- and our mosquito bat for use in the room!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
Since you are on ECR (Palavakkam I think). You can take ECR-Mahabalipuram bypass-Chengalpattu-GST, you can forget about all the GST quirkiness till Paranur. Beyond Vettuvankeni, it is usually peaceful to drive.
Thanks! As I am as close to OMR as to ECR, my instinct would have been to take the OMR , then cross the marsh to Chrompet. I'll take your advice and take ECR.

Quote:
Rather than take the Tindivanam route, take the Villupuram bypass-Vettavalam-Kedar route. This is much peaceful to drive. Tindivanam route is in permanent state of construction for the last decade and half.
Do you mean like this ...
Tiruvannamalai Temple: Current situation and restrictions?-route.jpg
I'm a bit confused about the Tindivanam bit

Quote:
Temples are open Monday-Tuesday, so you are covered there since you are travelling on the 15th.Weekdays crowd should be manageable.
Mrs G specifically chose a Tuesday, as a friend told her it would be quiet . We'll be there Monday afternoon/night, Tuesday morning.

I guess I'll head back some time after lunch. Ideally I'd like to be on home ground before dark. A bit flexible about that, though: we won't be in a hurry to get back back and I can always take it slow. Inside Chennai+environs I don't mind: will drive at any hour!

Quote:
About girivalam, my wife and family friends took an auto for part distance. They were in their late 30s and late 40s respectively. You can leverage them, if you are too exhausted to walk.
I suspect she'll just take an auto. Even if the guy overcharges it won't be much in the scheme of things, and also the local knowledge will be invaluable.
Old 5th February 2022, 15:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was expecting roads approaching the temple itself to be quite narrow.
The better entry into town is from the Villupuram direction. I found the roads to be manageable, not uber narrow. Vehicles from the Tindivanam side too are diverted via bypass through this Villupuram side entry.

Quote:
Thanks! As I am as close to OMR as to ECR, my instinct would have been to take the OMR , then cross the marsh to Chrompet. I'll take your advice and take ECR.
If you are driving when rest of Madras is awake, then you'll wade through Saravana Stores, Tambaram bus stand, Perungulathur, Guduvancherry, Singaperumalkoil, Paranur toll. Here you'll have to endure only till Vettuvankeni, eases more till Akkarai. After Akkarai you can press on. You'll join GST in 75-90 min at most. Here's (Chennai - Kumbakonam : Route Queries) my detailed writeup on the route 3 years back. Pre-covid it is my standard entry/exit route from T. Nagar!

Quote:
Do you mean like this
Yes. You see a small blip at the end towards Villupuram. You don't need to take that shortcut. If you go further, you will diverge from the Villupuram bypass. There is a new bridge that is almost complete at that junction.

I did not get your question on the Tindivanam part.

Quote:
I suspect she'll just take an auto
They charged 500 for the girivalam

Last edited by narayans80 : 5th February 2022 at 15:33.
narayans80 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2022, 15:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Mrs G specifically chose a Tuesday, as a friend told her it would be quiet . We'll be there Monday afternoon/night, Tuesday morning.
Do avoid Wed, 16-2-22 in your Tiruvannamalai plans, as it is a full moon day.

In pre-covid days it would have been a festival of sorts. After covid started they have been imposing restrictions on full moon days, including disallowing people from outside to enter the town. Not sure whether temple entry also will be restricted on full moon days.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 04:19   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This trip has prompted me to actually stick the Fastag thing on the windscreen. Looks ugly, hate it... but I guess it beats cash.

Any ideas what the total toll bill will come to?
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 07:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hotel Himalaya is right on the Girivalam route and has car parking.

However the last several Girivalams have been prohibited by the local authorities, citing Covid restrictions, so that people are being turned back at the Tiruvannamalai bypass itself, unless they have a local address proof or family residing in the town, rather than a hotel booking.
hserus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 08:33   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Any ideas what the total toll bill will come to?
This link might help you and give you a rough idea although it's a bit clunky and on some toll plazas, it shows as Rs.0 which is not the case in reality.

https://tis.nhai.gov.in/tollplazason...px?language=en

Last edited by Doonite : 6th February 2022 at 08:51.
Old 6th February 2022, 08:48   #12
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
This trip has prompted me to actually stick the Fastag thing on the windscreen. Looks ugly, hate it... but I guess it beats cash.
Place the tag (as-is without removing the backing sheet of the sticker) in a plastic sheet and use cellotape on the borders to stick the sheet to the windshield. This will give you the flexibility to remove/move it if necessary later. I now use this method on both our cars.
NPV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 14:31   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tiruvannamalai Temple: Current situation and restrictions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Place the tag
In some media cars, the Fastag was given to us loosely. We'd just hold it in our hand and place on the windshield when driving through toll nakas.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 15:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
people are being turned back at the Tiruvannamalai bypass itself, unless they have a local address proof or family residing in the town, rather than a hotel booking.
I'm confused... This implies that it is not actually possible to drive to the town at all ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
This link might help you and give you a rough idea although it's a bit clunky and on some toll plazas,
Brilliant! Thanks, and bookmarked for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Place the tag ... in a plastic sheet and use cellotape on the borders to stick the sheet to the windshield...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
... We'd just hold it in our hand and place on the windshield when driving through toll nakas.
Ahhh, too late! It's stuck now. . Maybe I'll unstick it after the trip.

I've been promising myself new windscreen glass for ages. It has lots of chips, although nothing that actually bothers the eyes when driving.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2022, 15:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I'm confused... This implies that it is not actually possible to drive to the town at all ?
That would be only just prior to full moon day. Probably on 15th evening they might start this. On other days there won't be any such restrictions.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks