Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2022, 09:54   #1

Bangalore to Kappad Beach : Route Queries

Hi, Planning to drive down to Kappad beach in Calicut Kerala, as a two-day stop en route further south in Kerala. Will be starting from near Hebbal and driving a Duster petrol 2017 RXS. I tried looking at Google maps for route suggestions and it seems to offer three routes.

Bangalore to Kappad Beach : Route Queries-screenshot-20220505-095231.png

One via Kunigal - Hunsur - Iritty - Mahe.

Second, via Kanakpura - Malavali - Mysore - Mananthavady

A third option is to take route one and connect to route two through Mysore via Srirangapatna.

Strangely, it doest show an option for going via Ramanagra, Mandya to Mysore.

Any suggestions or ideas on the above routes. How are the roads and traffic?
Old 5th May 2022, 10:37   #2
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kappad Beach : Route Queries

The maps doesn’t show the Mandya route because of the NHAI works going on there and its very difficult to cross big junctions like Ramnagara, Mandya, Channapatna etc in the morning hours because of traffic as the current roads are very much compromised.
Still if you start from Bangalore before 4AM, you can still take this route as you will reach Mysore the fastest. Once in Mysore, I would suggest the Gundulpet-Sultan Bathery-Calicut route as its really good roads now till your destination.

Reaching Mysore will be the time consuming journey now, once past that, it should be seamless. Hope it helps.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 10:43   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
The maps doesn’t show the Mandya route because of the NHAI works going on there and its very difficult to cross big junctions like Ramnagara, Mandya, Channapatna etc in the morning hours because of traffic as the current roads are very much compromised.
Still if you start from Bangalore before 4AM, you can still take this route as you will reach Mysore the fastest. Once in Mysore, I would suggest the Gundulpet-Sultan Bathery-Calicut route as its really good roads now till your destination.

Reaching Mysore will be the time consuming journey now, once past that, it should be seamless. Hope it helps.
Thank you! That's helpful. I will avoid the Mandya road. Had gone once via Kunigal route and it seemed deserted and not a bad drive. Strange Google doesn't suggest the Sultan Bathery option either.
Would you know if the Hunsur route is ok? I like the fact that it passes through the outskirts of Nagarhole- may be able to get some wildlife sightings?
Old 5th May 2022, 12:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomvee View Post
Strange Google doesn't suggest the Sultan Bathery option either.
Did you check gmap during 9pm to 6am? If so, then the route is closed at that time in the forest, hence didn't show up probably.

Note that, Mysore route (Mandya) work is progressing very fast and is not bad at all to drive. Especially at non peak hours, this is still the prefered route to drive. I drove last weekend and the road construction did not hamper in any way for a smooth drive. Go for it if starting early.

And then the standard route through Nanjangud - Sulthan Bathery - Calicut.

Note the Bandipur forest road is closed from 9pm to 6am.
Old 5th May 2022, 13:37   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Would you know if the Hunsur route is ok? I like the fact that it passes through the outskirts of Nagarhole- may be able to get some wildlife sightings?
I travelled through hunsur route a week before and Bathery route 3 days back. I would suggest the Bathery route as its mosty well tarred. You can spot wildlife this route as well, near the Muthanga range.
Xaos636 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 14:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post

Note the Bandipur forest road is closed from 9pm to 6am.
Thanks, but I had explicitly mentioned a 6:00AM start from Bangalore. It still didn't offer that route.

Good to know Mandya is still an option. I`m planning to start only at 6:00 AM though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
I travelled through hunsur route a week before and Bathery route 3 days back. I would suggest the Bathery route as its mosty well tarred. You can spot wildlife this route as well, near the Muthanga range.
Thanks. Yes I`m aware of the Bandipur, Muthanga passes. Havent had much luck though in the past, other than the usual Langurs and an occasional elephant.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 5th May 2022 at 15:28. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts
Old 5th May 2022, 16:57   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Yes I`m aware of the Bandipur, Muthanga passes. Havent had much luck though in the past, other than the usual Langurs and an occasional elephant.
You should be able to see spotted deers by the hordes on the roadside. If lucky, you can also see a lone Gaur or Sambar deer. I doubt you can see anything else.

You can plan your drive to reach the forest gates at 6:00 am to increase the chances of spotting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks