Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2007, 02:04   #1
BHPian

Wild Wildlife trips anyone?

I know I know there is already a thread with 1 day and 3 day trips from Chennai.

But how about some real wildlife locations for wildlife fans like me.

I grew up in Coimbatore and Tirunelveli in my childhood and those two places are the best places for a guy who likes to take wildlife roadtrips.

So come on guys out with your experiences and I am sure many of you have information on lots of new unexplored places that the others have no idea that the exsisted.

I will be recounting the fun I have had in my trips shortly.

Awaiting all your inputs eagarly!!
Old 23rd June 2007, 20:21   #2
BHPian

Telakona falls

Looks like I will have to be the one to start. WIldlife trips strictly do not mean camping. I just mean adventure.

For starters for people in Chennai there is a place called Telakona. not sure how many people have heard of it. This place is really close to tirupati. I have taken as many as 5 trips there and I'm planning to go back too.

It is basically a forest AP guest house situated in the middle of nowehere.By nowhere I mean nowhere. there is a waterfalls nearby and a small temple. People who come there will usually be locals who come there during the day time. There is only this single guest house a couple of eateries there and this temple.Life subsides around 6pm when it gets dark. It is pitch dark after that and no soul in sight. Even the eccentric keeper of the guest house is boozed out after 8.

It is the best place to go if you plan a weekend gateway from Chennai.Phones are not reachable in that place so just get some booze bottles and go out and chill out there for two nights completely.

There is a beautiful waterfalls you can trek up to in the morning and you can spend almost the whole of the morning there.Even though the palce is deserted the keeper owns a small eatary next to the lodge(his wife and family cook and serve the people who come to the temple..typical tasty Andhra fare). so ood is taken care will come to your room.

The rooms are better by most standards and are not expensive at all( Deluxe-400 bucks ).They are actually well maintained, nots so difficult I guess considering the limited number of visitors.

The road to take is the Chennai-Tirrutani-Tirupati road.After reaching Tirupati you need to take the route to Madanapalle and take a right approx 20kms in to road leading Sathyakumaramangalam and continue on to Bakkahrpet and take another right too Telakona (another 30 kms).This road is best travelled at night (for the adventerous type) for family i would advise evening before it gets dark.You can ask anyone there for directions and they will help you(provided you see any of them after 7 pm)

The distance is total of 163kms from Chennai. So doable in 5 hrs at a strech considering the narrow roads in the last leg of the journey.

Will give you guys more information if you guys require it.
Old 24th June 2007, 20:38   #3
BHPian

Good info Fiery Enzyme (LOL what a name)

Can you post the route also?
Old 24th June 2007, 20:44   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxima View Post
Good info Fiery Enzyme (LOL what a name)

Can you post the route also?
The name is the truth aint it?

Well what do you mean by the route? . Please let me know

In my previous post i have mentioned the route. Do you want a more detailed description of the road?. I have a few photos also I can add.
Old 6th July 2007, 08:59   #5

Hi Fiery,

Its interesting. Do we have such a getaway near Chennai? May be you give some picture to get some idea
Old 11th July 2007, 19:45   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freecat View Post
Hi Fiery,

Its interesting. Do we have such a getaway near Chennai? May be you give some picture to get some idea

Sure I wil put up some pictures of the road and the place once I figure out how to post them
Old 11th July 2007, 20:31   #7
BHPian

Isnt it simply known as 'Konai Falls'? I remember some of my friends from college (during college days) had gone there. I had gone there during my working days @ Chennai.
The falls could be dangerous (loose stones from the top, I was told), so take care.
Old 11th July 2007, 20:35   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Isnt it simply known as 'Konai Falls'? I remember some of my friends from college (during college days) had gone there. I had gone there during my working days @ Chennai.
The falls could be dangerous (loose stones from the top, I was told), so take care.

No konai falls is different. It is the one where you have to park your vehicles and trek to reach the falls. Yes it is dangerous.

This is a completely different one. I will post the pics today.

There is one more called Tada falls. Bothg Konai and Tada are between tirupati and Chennai. Not worth going because evryone comes there.
Old 26th July 2007, 00:11   #9
BHPian

This is the link from APTDC for accomadation @ Talakona.

APTDC :: Accommodation : Punnami Talakona
Old 26th July 2007, 01:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme View Post
This is a completely different one. I will post the pics today.
so, where are the pics ?
Old 26th July 2007, 02:39   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
This is the link from APTDC for accomadation @ Talakona.

APTDC :: Accommodation : Punnami Talakona

Yup tahts the one. The guest house pics are on the bottom right corner
Old 26th July 2007, 02:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
so, where are the pics ?

Sorry had some trouble with the comp.Will gets the pics posted by the end of tomm.

BTW I don't have very good pics but Ill refrain from commenting on them until its been posted.
Old 26th July 2007, 18:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
so, where are the pics ?
I don't have any specific landscape pics..These are personal pics so the will contain people

This is to show, how the road to Telakona is

This is the actual falls

Falls again!

Falls

Falls again
Old 26th July 2007, 21:18   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery enzyme
There is one more called Tada falls - between tirupati and Chennai. Not worth going because everyone comes there.
Actually no. Tada falls is definitely worth going - what you need to know is when to go. If you go during the daytime, especially on weekends, yes, it is crowded with people. Its more like a day picnic spot - people come with food and all.

You should do it at night, like we did. 5 of us in a Contessa, the boot loaded with firewood, food stuff, beer etc etc landed at the falls around 10PM. We cooked nice veg. fried rice and chicken fry on the fire, with the Contessa's lights providing lighting in an otherwise pitch dark area. Ofcourse while cooking, we made sure to finish the beer and whisky.

A couple of us slept in the car (afraid of snakes), while the rest on mats we brought from home. Woke up when it was dawn to see wild buffaloes near us. A quick bath in the small stream plus some sweet potatoes boiled for breakfast and we set out trekking to the source of the stream. By around 7AM, we were done and heading back and the watchman is surprised seeing a car go out (he was sleeping when we went in at night and so did not know how and when we entered the place).

Now that was fun. Who is game for this ? I think its just 90-100km from Chennai.
Old 26th July 2007, 21:33   #15
BHPian

Nice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Actually no. Tada falls is definitely worth going - what you need to know is when to go. If you go during the daytime, especially on weekends, yes, it is crowded with people. Its more like a day picnic spot - people come with food and all.
When I said "it is not worth it", I actually was comparing it with Telakona.

However this....
Quote:
You should do it at night, like we did. 5 of us in a Contessa, the boot loaded with firewood, food stuff, beer etc etc landed at the falls around 10PM. We cooked nice veg. fried rice and chicken fry on the fire, with the Contessa's lights providing lighting in an otherwise pitch dark area. Ofcourse while cooking, we made sure to finish the beer and whisky.

A couple of us slept in the car (afraid of snakes), while the rest on mats we brought from home. Woke up when it was dawn to see wild buffaloes near us. A quick bath in the small stream plus some sweet potatoes boiled for breakfast and we set out trekking to the source of the stream. By around 7AM, we were done and heading back and the watchman is surprised seeing a car go out (he was sleeping when we went in at night and so did not know how and when we entered the place).
makes it very interesting. That's the same experience I was talking about.

Quote:
Now that was fun. Who is game for this ? I think its just 90-100km from Chennai.
I'm game. We Bhpians should definitely do this.
'When' is the big question?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks