Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2007, 15:57   #1
Team-BHP Support

Bombay to Goa - Late night travel. How ?

Hi Team,

I am currently in Delhi but coming to bombay for a friends wedding. Thereafter

We, a group of 9 - 10 ppl, want to go to Goa from Bombay on thursday, 28 June at night. Ideally, we would want to start at 11 pm of after. What are the options considering that a flight is slightly expensive at 3 k and we do not have train bookings.

-- Are Volvo buses available at that time ? If yes, how do we reserve seats ?
-- Is it advisable to hire one Qualis / Innova and an Indica ? Where can i book these ? What will be the approx cost one way(only bombay to goa since we have a flight back to delhi from Goa itself) ?
-- Any other option ??

Please help.

Thanks in advance
Old 23rd June 2007, 17:55   #2
BHPian

for bus you could try raj national xpress Raj Express Travels , it starts @ 8pm and you can book online
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:09   #3
BHPian

Certainly not advisable to drive down in this weather. Torrential rains here. Volvo is the best option.
Old 23rd June 2007, 18:45   #4
Senior - BHPian

Driving Bombay-Goa at night is not advisable - (a) heavy and rash traffic at night, and (b) heavy rains en route can be expected during the rainy season that is on, and over half the route is ghat roads.

Ideally, leave in the morning by 5-600 am, and you will have a good 10-hour drive (assuming 1-2 brief halts).

All Goa-bound buses leave before 8-9 pm; they take upto 12 hours. There are Volvos also, such as from Paulo Travels.

Fastest in daytime would be to take the early morning Shatabdi, reaches by afternoon.

Road distance is approximately 550 kms one way, you won't get one-way taxis, you will have to pay for return. Non-AC Qualis/Sumos would cost you Rs 5-7 per km.

Considering everything, I think best option is train but getting berths is virtually impossible (there is a train leaving at 11 pm, arriving Madagaon at 1230 next day). I checked availability for thsi train, waitlisted. But I find that Jan Shatabdi leaving at 530 am on Jun 29 is available, recahes Madgaon at 130 pm, faster than the overnight train (reaches at 1230 pm). Raj Travels bus leaves at 800 pm, reaches at 730 am.
Old 24th June 2007, 00:49   #5
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the info guys...
@kintetic - cant leave so early. Was looking for a volvo at around 11 pm

@ hvkumar - thanks for the info.. i will try and book train tickets for janshatabdi

But why do all Goa volvos leave by 8 - 9 ??
Old 24th June 2007, 10:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Thanks for the info guys...

Buses from Bombay to Goa leave in 3 tranches - first one around 4 pm, second around 5-6 pm and the superfast Volvos after that. Normal buses take upto 14 hours to cover the distance of 550 kms. Road tarvel by bus to Goa is really slow, considering that I do it by car in 8-9 hours.
Old 24th June 2007, 11:05   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

to avoid city traffic (though its worse in evening peak hrs.),
to avoid highway traffic consisting of local 2-wheelers, private cars, stray cattle etc.,
to save on daytime travelling
lesser breaks enroute, &
also the tyre wear & tear is less as compared to driving in scorching heat.
Most long distance buses start after 9pm.

As others also suggested, dont take a risk on the highway specially at nite time with an unknown driver. All the best, enjoy Goa!

az

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks