Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2022, 11:47   #1

Vehicle Permit for driving from India to Bangladesh

Hi,

I am planning to drive to Dhaka from Delhi and back in Dec 2022. I would be taking my personal vehicle.
Since Bangladesh is not a signatory to 'Carnet de Passages'. I was wondering how to get the vehicle permit. I read on the internet that the Govt of India, Bangladesh, Nepal and Bhutan have agreed to allow vehicles to be allowed to move across the borders. The document provides the form to be filled, but the process of getting the permit is nowhere mentioned.
Can anyone please help / guide.

ad_ccu
ad_ccu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 20:37   #2
BHPian

re: Vehicle Permit for driving from India to Bangladesh

You CANNOT take your India-registered car into Bangladesh. Carnet is irrelevant as BD is not a signatory.

The inter-government agreement is for passenger vehicles and transport vehicles, not private vehicles. Buses and trucks only. They have special exemptions/permits regarding insurance and licensing. Nepal and Bhutan have expanded these to include private vehicles; Bhutan has simple registration, Nepal gives a temporary number plate with specific period of stay in Nepal. BD is yet to do so.

If you are in Kolkata, check with the Kolkata-Dhaka bus operators. They can get you the relevant information. There is also an Agartala-Dhaka bus service that I am aware of. If you can get this info, please post.

Some years back, I had explored the feasibility of driving Guwahati-Shillong-Sylhet and back. Got the firm response that I need to 'walk' across the border and cannot take my bike across.

Last edited by mygodbole : 26th September 2022 at 20:40. Reason: clarifying
mygodbole is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th September 2022, 21:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

re: Vehicle Permit for driving from India to Bangladesh

Bangladesh doesn't allow you to take your private vehicle across the border. I tried a few times and everytime they allowed me to park my car on the Indian side and walk over. The BDR officer even offered me one of his own cars to drive to Dhaka and come back and return it before walking back over to India and pick up my own car. This was in Agartala 2016.
wanderernomad is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 23:54   #4
BHPian

Re: Vehicle Permit for driving from India to Bangladesh

Bumping this long forgotten thread…any changes relating to driving India cars in Bangladesh?
Old 16th July 2023, 10:48   #5

Nope! Havent heard anything positive so far.
Old 14th January 2024, 21:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
You CANNOT take your India-registered car into Bangladesh. Carnet is irrelevant as BD is not a signatory.

The inter-government agreement is for passenger vehicles and transport vehicles, not private vehicles. ..

Some years back, I had explored the feasibility of driving Guwahati-Shillong-Sylhet and back. Got the firm response that I need to 'walk' across the border and cannot take my bike across.
I know of a BD guy that had brought their motorcycle into India (Kolkata) using a Carnet-de-passage issued by Automobile Association of Bangladesh. I believe the same guy went on a tour of the middle east via India-Pak-Iran later. Couple more guys from BD have done this also. Anyway back to this guy, here is a video link of him talking about the process for applying a Carnet-De-Passage in Bangladesh for his first tour Dhaka-Kolkata

Obviously if BD is issuing Carnets - it has to be a signatory. In which case, it should also recognize Carnets issued by other countries.
joybhowmik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2024, 02:22   #7
BHPian

I stand corrected. Thank you @joybhowmik for the update. The procedures seem to have been upgraded and it may now be possible to ride/drive an India-registered vehicle in Bangladesh.

After your post, I found that someone from Kolkata took his India-registered bike into Bangladesh. His youtube video is in Bangla so I could not follow all the details. Maybe someone in Kolkata can get in touch with this individual and inform us about the procedures for the carnet from India to Bangladesh.

If anyone can get new information on this, can they please update this specific post?
mygodbole is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2024, 12:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mygodbole View Post
I stand corrected. Thank you @joybhowmik for the update. The procedures seem to have been upgraded and it may now be possible to ride/drive an India-registered vehicle in Bangladesh.

After your post, I found that someone from Kolkata took his India-registered bike into Bangladesh. His Youtube video is in Bangla so I could not follow all the details. Maybe someone in Kolkata can get in touch with this individual and inform us about the procedures for the carnet from India to Bangladesh.

If anyone can get new information on this, can they please update this specific post?
There is this chap called Baidik Chatterjee with his YT channel who has ridden to Bangladesh on his bike and you are most probably talking about him. He took the help of Automobile association of India and had to pay a security deposit equivalent to the value of his bike (KTM adv 390) for the carnet. This is what I remember from the video which I had come across sometime back.

You can contact him (his contact details should be there on his channel) I don't think communication would be an issue. I do not know him personally but he appears quite expressive on his videos and given that he has travelled the length of India, language will not be an issue.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 22:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
He took the help of Automobile association of India and had to pay a security deposit equivalent to the value of his bike (KTM adv 390) for the carnet.
Yes Western India AAI issues carnet in India. Here's the process from a YT channel - Indian Backpacker for his Mahindra Scorpio N. It costed Rs 1 lakh + GST + a marginal amount for AAI membership. And a security deposit of Rs 5 lakh (refundible)
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks