Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2007, 16:39   #1

Bangalore to Goa

Hi guys,

I'm planning to drive next weke from bangalore to Goa via Mangalore. Our plan was to leave Bangalore early enough so we could stay at Mangalore or some place further up the coast. Can anybody recommend a convenient stop over between Mangalore and Gokarna since I don't want to do the whole trip in one shot?

Also how bad is highway to Mangalore after Sakleshpur this year? Would also appreciate any alternative routes along the coast as we wanted to see the coast.

Thanks
Boban
Old 7th July 2007, 20:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

You can do Sakleshpur in your car, it is bad but doable....unlike last year... If at all u donot want to take risk you can choose the Charmadi Ghat road....

I would suggest u put up in Turtle bay resort in kundapur (read my kundapur travelogue)..u can go via Agumbe ghat and road is fine throughout....

Any reasons of going via coastal karnataka route? I would recommend a separate Goa trip and dont club coastal karnatka with Goa....u can do goa in 9-10 hours from bangalore (read my goa travelogue) and chill out there..
You can make a coastal karnatka trip later...

Abhi
Old 7th July 2007, 22:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

Other places to stay over are Udupi (lots of hotels, try Hotel Kediyoor), Malpe Beach (Paradise Island resort), Kundapura town (Hotel Sharon), HOnavar (Hotel Kamat) and Kumta (Hotel Pandurang International).

Kumar
Old 7th July 2007, 23:05   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Best drivers route to goa is thru the ankola ghat section.
Old 8th July 2007, 00:41   #5
BHPian

you can also take the hubli route...if ur going by mangalore, after Sakleshpur the roads are pretty bad in some places, Sakleshpur is also bad in places but its much better now compared to 3 or 4 years ago
Old 8th July 2007, 09:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore -> Mangalore -> Goa not ideal root especially in mansoons.

Best way is one among these :

Bangalore -> Shimoga -> Honnavar -> Karwar -> Goa (2nd choice)
Bangalore -> Haveri -> Sirsi -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa (my choice)
Bangalore -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa (3rd choice)

Akroy's travelogue is perfect one to take Bangalore -> Haveri -> Sirsi -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa.

It will be helpfull to you a lot and roads are better now compared to 6 months back. Pothholes are filled in Davimane ghat section between sirsi and kumta. Haveri to Sirsi road is slgihtly better now. GQ is better as well day by day but still 50km to complete (tumkur(4km), chtitradurga bypass(4km), few stretches between chitradurga and haveri (40km))

If you still want to go via mangalore you can try for sure places are nice via sakaleshpur.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 8th July 2007, 11:59   #7
BHPian

don't mean to rain on your parade, but the monsoon is super-strong in Goa these days. Unless you do not mind getting drenched and not seeing the sun! Most coastal hotels are either closed or running on skeleton staff, the rooms are smelling musty, and the food not likely to be fresh. Unless, of course, you have work here, in the cities everything is running (we work here through the year you know)!
Old 8th July 2007, 12:01   #8
BHPian

the distance from mangalore side to goa is a bit more.

the best would be to go the hubli route. the road is good.

do not go through the shimoga road, as it is pretty bad.

the bangalore- hubli- ankola -karwar road will be ideal, but this road is not

ideal if u are going in the night,as the 2 way road becomes 1 way for

certain streches, as the road is under construction.
Old 8th July 2007, 13:47   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Bangalore -> Hubli -> Ankola -> Karwar -> Goa (3rd choice)
Psycho, amitoj, jay, islero, nitrous & myself can vouch for this road. One of the most fun filled roads we have driven on till date and definitely a driver's paradise going through the ghats and the forests. Hoping to do this stretch again soon. Last time around 90% of the roads were in good condition. Though, you might want to check once.
Old 8th July 2007, 14:23   #10
BHPian

i would recommend Sai Vishram Resort at Byndoor. This is about 30 kms from kundapura off the highway. A fantastic place and the best experience i have had at a resort. Beware no non-veg/alcohol. It is a great place though with water activities, superb beach facing hut accomodation and very courteous staff.
Old 8th July 2007, 23:04   #11
BHPian

I would vouch for the Hubli-Ankola-Karwar route but for the trucks carrying iron ore.....sometimes you'll have to overtake a line of 8-10 trucks & this is painful.Haveri-Sirsi-Ankola route is very scenic,but narrow.I suggest you take this route as there is negligible traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks