Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 21:12   #1

Foreigner in India: I want to take my 3-wheeler autorickshaw back to Europe

Hi everyone.

I am a German citizen working and living in India since a while.
Our time in India is slowly coming to an end and we had the crazy idea to take my auto and return to Europe overland, taking our 2 dogs with us.
I know it's not the most sensible idea, but it could be great fun and an adventure for sure.
The longest trip I have done with my auto so far was Bangalore, Chikmanglore, Udupi, Goa and back.

I know the other way around (EU -> IND) is very much possible, and comparably uncomplicated nowerdays. I am aware of 3 couples from a German RE Himalayan group that are currently on their way from Germany to India, independently from each other.

Buying a vehicle is not a problem, I have several vehicles here registered in my name. I would think visas should also be possible. Taking our dogs will be complicated, but seems possible to me as well.

The major issues I see at the problem are the following, maybe someone has some tips for me, or contacts that might be able to help.

- Carnet for 3-wheeler
Does anyone know if I can get a Carnet for a 3-wheeler? On the AA sites I can only see the mention of LMV and 2W.
Which makes sense, since that would be 99.9% of the applications.

- Carnet for non-Indian
Can I, as a non-permanent Indian resident, get a Carnet here?
I know that Norali, aka Itchy Boots, had a Carnet for her Indian registered Himalayan, but that bike was not registered in her name as far as I know but in some Indian citizens name.

- Bringing Indian-registered vehicle into Pakistan.

Assuming I can get a Carnet, is it possible for me to enter Pakistan with an Indian-registered Vehicle? I am aware of the tensions between the countries and am slightly worried that there might be some issues at the border.

So if anyone has some tips for me how to make this possible, please let me know.
I am aware that it wont be cheap or easy, but that's part of what makes it an adventure.

Cheers,
Arne
Arninger is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks