Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2023, 09:19   #1

Any MapMyIndia's Mappls app reviews? Is it better than Google Maps?

One of the primary challenges I face driving in India is a dependable navigation system. I have trolled through the numerous threads that have been posted. My XUV was purchased just before they introduced the smart infotainment panel. And hence the ease of usage is not there. My wife, who is supposed to navigate, transfers that to me at the last minute when I am trying to decide which turn. I am looking for the best navigation system without paying a bomb.

I wanted to get the member's perspectives on the below 2 points:

1. Have you tried the "MAPPLS" navigation app? Any experiences? Is it better than Google since they claim India centric approach? I would love to hear your feedback if anyone has been using it for a while.

2. Secondly, have you tried using offline maps? If yes, which app do you prefer? I tried Sygic, Mapmyindia [older vers] and google maps. But it's not been seamless.

I am looking forward to your thoughts/suggestions/comments.

Last edited by navin : 25th July 2023 at 11:29. Reason: Poorly typed. Please do review and proofread content before submitting. It helps maintain the quality of the forum. Thank you
Lucifer68 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th July 2023, 14:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Any MapMyIndia's Mappls app reviews? Is it better than Google Maps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucifer68 View Post

Please use this thread for all navigation related content. All topics have been discussed here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/stree...ervices-7.html (Google Maps vs other navigation services)
Old 25th July 2023, 16:48   #3
BHPian

Mappls could be better for Metro navigation. It does show the turn to take and that is better that GMaps. But its database on finding addresses in lesser known locations and outside of metros is not good. I tried to use on my recent trip to Himachal, but it does not search for any addresses in small villages, like hotels, homestays, cafes etc. So, might not be usable in all situations.
mathuranuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 19:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wanted to get the member's perspectives on the below 2 points:

1. Have you tried the "MAPPLS" navigation app? Any experiences? Is it better than Google since they claim India centric approach? I would love to hear your feedback if anyone has been using it for a while.
I have used both. As far as routes are concerned both roughly show the same routes. Incidentally MapmyIndia shows more of main thoroughfares rather than the alleys and bylanes through which GMaps sometimes pushes you to; in order to save one minute.

Also MapMyIndia has better navigation when it comes to taking service roads, slip roads etc;off the main highway: it shows you exactly which lane to take, unlike Gmaps which shows the generic direction.
For example: if you use MapmyIndia in Delhi, particularly if you are entering or exiting some complex junctions like AIIMS, Pragati maidan tunnel towards Meerut highway etc: MMI will show you the exact lane to take.

Where MapMyIndia needs to improve is in time estimation for a particular journey. Gmaps is better in calculating "time to reach destination" - maybe because it operates on crowd sourced data.

Quote:
2. Secondly, have you tried using offline maps? If yes, which app do you prefer? I tried Sygic, Mapmyindia [older vers] and google maps. But it's not been seamless.
Gmaps is better for offline even in remote locations, particularly hill stations etc.
Problem with Sygic is that sometimes they do not update the maps in time to show the latest routes.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 08:05   #5
BHPian

Just installed Mappls on my phone . When using it on my Ignis (bluetooth connected but no Android Auto), I have observed that voice navigation becomes muted. There is no problem when not connected to the car.
While the app seems good, unlike Gmaps there is not feature to choose voice or even test if the sound is coming. Support is not available from the app either.
On my Jimny using Android Auto (wireless), there is no issue.
On another note, on my Ignis with the Smartpro ICE, wired Android auto, I have found that only some of the older USB cables are able to connect to Android Auto. Just bought a new BOAT cable and while it charges the phone, it does not connect Android Auto. Put back the old Samsung cable and it seamlessly connects.
Anyone know a specific cable that will connect - I need to replace the Samsung one because the plug has become loose.
Old 11th April 2024, 11:48   #6
BHPian

For the privacy conscious, MAPPLS appears to be a better option. Its maps are also less cluttered and have a clear colour scheme. However, DuckDuckGo tracking blocker sometimes shows that Google is gathering my personal data through MAPPLS. I don't know what kind of arrangement MAPPLS / MapMyIndia has with Google through.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks