Team-BHP - Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Hyderabad - Vizag : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/27008-hyderabad-vizag-route-queries.html)

Hi,

I am planning on driving from Hyderabad to Vizag in the 2nd week of August (11-15 or 15-19) with my wife and 2 yr old daughter. I was planning on going via Khammam and Rajamundry and return via Vijayawada(have some pending work there).

I was hoping if someone could please: shed some light on the roads after the recent rains. Is it better to also go via Vijayawada and come back even though the route is a little longer.

Any reliance plazas on the Khammam route?

I am hoping to do each of the onward and the return journey in a day. Is it possible and will it be tiring? I am not an aggressive driver. On a couple of my previous trips (400 Km and 250 Km), I have averaged about 50 Kmph including halts.

Thanks,
Dwarak

Quote:

Originally Posted by dwarakv (Post 517568)
Any reliance plazas on the Khammam route?

DOnt know about Khamman but Here is the list of A1 Plaza in the Vijayawada - Vizag GQ route
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...ore-route.html

Quote:

I am hoping to do each of the onward and the return journey in a day. Is it possible and will it be tiring?
It is about 650km via Vijayawada and it will take you about 10 hours including breaks and it should be done in a day. No issues at all... For more info. read my Kolkata Travelogue where I could cover longer distances in 10-11 hours because of excellent road conditions..

Abhi

Although Khammam-Rajahmundry route is shorter, the Vijayawada route (NH9) is preferred for those driving to Vizag. Hyderabad-Vizag drive is quite OK, except for the first 30 kms out of Hyderabad which anyway is a double road.

You can bypass Vijayawada town to enter NH5. As Abhi mentioned, the road from here on is a runway and a great drive.

You can do the drive the same day - there are several towns en route Vijayawad to stop by, and also on NH5.

Hi,

The route from Hyd-Vijayawada is narrow and high traffic section. Thats is why people who are going to Rajahmundry take the Khammam road at Suryapet. I have tracvelled in this road three weeks back. Take halts at Suryapet and Khammam for food and etc (you have toilet facility in highway dhabas at these places).

Suryapet-Khammam-Rajahmundry (Hyd-Suryapet-Khammam-Rajahmundry) road is better than Suryapet-Vijayawada. Less traffic and good road. And most importantly there is no toll gate in this section. (you pay Rs.10 at one toll gate). If you take NH5 via Vijayawada, you have to pay min Rs.100 at two highway toll gates before reaching Rajahmundry.

Take NH from Rajahmundry to reach Vizag.

Enjoy you trip.

Taraka

Guys

I am travelling from hyderabad to vizag and from there on to araku valley,
Planning to leave this weekend
Urgently need info on the what roads to take and any other tips on araku and places to stay

Thanks

Hi!
vizag to araku is around 120Km. there are APSTDC lodges.check their website.
if you are going by car try to stop at Tyda bus stop. there you can see rail track on one side about 10-15 feet above you and on other side also a rail track deep below. excellent site. further if possible travelby train one way come back by road. i have heard that indian railways now are allowing passengers to travelin driver cabin at extra charge? check for this. train starts at around 7 AM from vizag. this was a rail trackbuilt by japanese to transport iron ore from MP to vizag port. in and around there many ancient buddist sites.
one more place in between araku and vizag is borra caves. dont miss them.

hey rkg
Thanks for the quick TAT, will keep this in mind.

I am more worried about the road to take from Hyd to viz, wanted to know the condition of the NH9 and NH 5 after the rains.

Cheers

NH9 is in good shape but traffic is very high. NH5 is in excellent form. Alternatively, you can turn off at Suriapet and go to Rajahmundry via Warangal by state highway - that is also supposed to be in good condition, although road could be less traffic and less facilities.

A small correction to hvkumar---you can turn to the left at Suryapet and go to Rajahmundry via Khammam, not Warangal.
This will save you around 80 kms of distance. But there are some potholes at unexpected places---pl read travelogues by Satish Appasani.
As far as staying in Araku is concerned, you have a Punnami hotel with a swimming pool. I visited that place last month. Personally, I would have preferred to stay at the new cottages at Anantagiri, half way between Borra caves and Araku. They are brand new, and overlook the deep valley below.
If you like wilderness, you could stay at Tyda, where cottages are built amidst thick forest, on a hill slope---these cost around 1200 to 1500 per day, with check out time as 10 am.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 582093)
A small correction to hvkumar---you can turn to the left at Suryapet and go to Rajahmundry via Khammam, not Warangal.

Thanks for pointing out the mistake, yes, I meant Khamman, sorry about the typo.

For travel between Hyderabad and Vizag, which of these two routes is better at this moment :

(a) Hyderabad-Narkatpalli-Vijayawada-GQ-Visakhapatnam

(b) Hyderabad-Narkatpalli-Guntur-GQ-Visakhapatnam

From "better", I mean in terms of :

(1) Good Road Condition

(2) Lesser Travel Time

(3) Safer Drive

Thanks in advance.

I prefer via Khammam whenever i drive to Rajahmundry from Hyderabad. After Suryapet, the road is very less crowded. After Khammam the road is too good until Devarapalli. Next 30 KMS until Kovvur has potholes.

On Hyderabad to Vijayawada route, travelling between RFC to Nandigama is pain. It is two lane road and lot of traffic. This is about 200 KMS.

If you are taking GQ, please be careful with the people driving, riding, walking on the wrong side in the middle lane.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyd_traveller (Post 1995307)
(a) Hyderabad-Narkatpalli-Vijayawada-GQ-Visakhapatnam

Not reccomended in present day condition.HYD-VJA is a killer with road widening in progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hyd_traveller (Post 1995307)
(b) Hyderabad-Narkatpalli-Guntur-GQ-Visakhapatnam

Extra distance of approx 60-70kms.Only upside is less traffic till Guntur,road conditions good.Guntur to Vizag 4 lane NH5.

As Sathish reccomends,Khammam route is good,turn off at Suryapet.

Target for rest facilities at Suryapet,theres a place called 7-Refresh,Rest,Refuel,its a world class food court and its open 24hours.

Carry cash for fuel,none of the pumps accept cards.RFC to Suryapet would take you around 3 hours/140kms.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranjitp1 (Post 1997781)
Not reccomended in present day condition.HYD-VJA is a killer with road widening in progress.

How is progress of road widening on NH9?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 1997991)
How is progress of road widening on NH9?

Wouldnt be complete for another 1 year at the least,work is frenetic,but progress is slow.right now 4laning is complete till Nandigama(30kms from VJA towards Hyd) and it is also complete 40kms from Hyd towards VJA,till a place after Ramoji Film City(RFC).The inbetween 180kms is going to take a year I guess,but surprisingly,the existing road's quality is very good,potholes are regularly filled,existing road is being well maintained,tarmac is good.If not for the sand trucks between Krishna river & Hyderabad and the night volvos,good speeds can easily be achieved on the existing road as well.A RTO check post has now been open enroute to check the sand lorry menace,the only thing that they are ensuring is that the trucks get onto the road after 5pm and get off by 7am(no official rule though)