Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2007, 22:14   #1
BHPian

Places in & around Bangalore to visit in 1 day trip?

Folks,
What are places in & around Bangalore to visit in a day? I will be taking my family on holidays/weekends.

I am ok to leave early and come late evening, but no night stay.

I just listed few (yet to visit few of them), want to know more.
  1. Lumbini garden (if you have kids, may be 1/2 day worth, else not more than 2 hours to spend)
  2. Krishnagiri dam
  3. Hosur, some temples and so
  4. Wonder la
Appreciate inputs!
Old 31st July 2007, 22:58   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Here you go:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...etailed-2.html
Old 31st July 2007, 23:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

-- Nandi aka Monkey Hills
-- Shivanasamudram Waterfalls
Old 1st August 2007, 08:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Big Banyan Tree
Machinabele Dam
Chikka Tirupati
Devnarayan Durga
Madhugiri Hills
Horseley Hills, Yelagiri Hills (although can be done in a day but prefer a night stay there to enjoy)
Old 1st August 2007, 10:45   #5
BHPian

Mysore Zoo
Brindawan Gardens & Mysore palace
Lepakshi
hogenekkal falls
Mekedatu
Bheemeshwari
Gaganchukki & Barachukki falls
Old 1st August 2007, 12:11   #6
BHPian

Thanks all for response!

I hope to find the routes, etc through searching in net.
Old 1st August 2007, 12:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_nars View Post
Thanks all for response!

I hope to find the routes, etc through searching in net.
You can see Travelogue section or PM one of us for the routes too.

Abhi
Old 1st August 2007, 13:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

Direct link to the same file is here
Old 9th November 2013, 04:44   #9
BHPian

Need some information about Bangalore

Hi guys,

I will be in Bangalore soon, for about 20 days and needed some info about the city and surroundings, and what better place to get all this information than team-bhp? The last time I was in Bangalore was in 2004 and I'm guessing things would have changed a lot in the last 9 years.

Accommodation and transport are not an issue as I will be staying with family in Hebbal.

Driving: I really really want to drive in India. What are some of the good, new roads where it would be possible to go for a drive? I have never driven in India before and from what my uncle tells me, I wouldn't be able to either! But I want to prove him wrong though, so I'd appreciate any driving tips you guys can give me!
Also what would be the time - say to drive from Hebbal to places like Gandhi Bazaar and Vidhana Soudha? (Google maps tells me it takes about 20 minutes).

Places to eat: Any good new places to eat/have fun? I've heard the new malls have some great places to eat. Forum (which is the only mall I've been to) had some good choices in the food court. I'll also be going to traditional places like Vidyarthi Bhavan in Gandhi Bazaar.

Shopping: Any info on new shopping malls/places to buy traditional Indian clothes (but not too expensive though, they're mostly gifts for friends here).

Excursions out of Bangalore: Mysore and surroundings are an obvious choice but how are the roads and facilities to drive to places like Jog Falls, Coorg etc?

Language is not an issue as I can speak and read Kannada and Hindi (but can't write either language).

Appreciate any information/travel tips you guys can give me. Thanks a lot guys!
Old 9th November 2013, 06:35   #10
BHPian

Re: Need some information about Bangalore

From Hebbal, it will be a nice and easy drive towards Nandi Hills.

Google super car always takes you early, keep a safe 1hr journey assuming you will be taking it very easy like a new driver. And now a days to city center there is nothing called a good day or time. Only past midnight there will be low traffic

You could visit Phoenix and Orion Malls. Still for cloths, shopping around Commercial street is the best.

UB City is also a good place to visit, specially pubs.

Havent been to Jog in a long time, so cant say. For Coorg take the Bangalore-Mysore-Periyapatna-Madikeri route. All other roads are in pathetic shape.

Eateries take a look at http://www.zomato.com/ they have the menus listed as well.

Last edited by HillMan : 9th November 2013 at 06:42.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 07:15   #11
BHPian

And a quick driving tip. Try not to be the first one at the traffic light. You might face honkings from behind, as people anticipate change of signal and start moving.
It is good to follow lanes, but we drive in constant calibration with as many possible lanes on the road depending on vehicle width

The flow with the crowd

Enjoy your trip. Safe driving.
Old 9th November 2013, 07:43   #12
BHPian

Also, when on highway always expect
1. Some smart a** coming towards you in the wrong lane with high beam on. It could be a bike, tractor or even a truck/bus.
2. Someone to jump out of the median to cross the road.
3. People changing lanes without any indicators.
4. Unmarked, unscientific road humps in between of nowhere.
Edit:

5: Bike guys trying to cross over to the other side of the road by jumping across the median. Any where you notice a break in the median expect either a bike on your side of the road to stop and cross over or expect someone from other side of the road to jump into the rightmost lane.

Enjoy your stay in bangalore

Regrads,

Last edited by amohit : 9th November 2013 at 07:46.
amohit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 08:24   #13
BHPian

Traffic
==========

Keep yours eyes and ears wide open!!

Unlike abroad, here honking is not done on "Emergency" basis. People love to honk even when the traffic signal is Red.
Even before the signal/instructions from your brain reaches your hand for changing gear, there will be a honk!

Even when the traffic signal is Green for you to go, be alert! We love breaking signals!

Watch out for unscientifically designed speed breakers.

Be alert, as people love changing lanes without indication.

Always have an eye on RVM and be careful with two-wheelers. You cannot anticipate on when and which side they will overtake you.

Since you will be staying at Hebbal, avoid commuting during peak hours [Monday-Saturday].
While going from Hebbal towards city, 8:40am - 10:00 am and while returning, 6:00 pm - 8:00pm. Traffic will almost be stagnant.

Last but not the least.. Keep an eye for a BHPian on road. There are many here!

Hope we have not scared you. Dont worry, you will be fine here, we are not that scary either.

Malls / Shopping / Eateries
===================
There are quite a few malls in Bangalore now, Orion [Rajajinagar], Mantri [Malleshwaram], Phoenix [Whitefield], Garuda [near MG Road], Gopalan [near BTM]

For cheap and good, shop at Commercial street.

If you are a foodie, you can try Food Street at VV Puram. Entire street is dedicated for eateries. Make sure you be there atleast by 5 pm. As its gets crowded in the evening and may not find parking space.
http://goo.gl/maps/9f4an

Enjoy your stay here and Good Luck on your Adventurous drive in Bangalore!

Last edited by 500ContyCruiser : 9th November 2013 at 08:43. Reason: Adding Malls / Shopping / Eateries
500ContyCruiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 08:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Try the NH4, you couldn't imagine how good it is

I recently did blr-Pune in my NHC and it was one of the most amazing drives of my life (in India)..

Hint: get a powerful car!
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2013, 09:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeper1941 View Post
Hi guys,

Driving: I really really want to drive in India. What are some of the good, new roads where it would be possible to go for a drive? I have never driven in India before and from what my uncle tells me, I wouldn't be able to either! ................

Appreciate any information/travel tips you guys can give me. Thanks a lot guys!
Since you are going to stay in Hebbal, Nandi Hills are a good choice for a quick drive. In fact NH7 (BLR-HYD) is one of the best roads here. The only problem is there are no major tourist destinations around it.

Visiting Vidhana Soudha is least recommended (specially on a working day) because there are lot of construction activities around it. On Sundays, parking won't be a major issue inside Cubbon Park.

MTR & Vidhyarthi Bhavan are iconic restaurants & a must visit whatever it takes.

Road tips are already provided in the earlier posts. Speed breakers, lane crossings & people/carts crossing the roads are major hazards on highways.

A complete list of Malls are already provided. Mantri at Malleswaram would be nearest to your place.

All major tourist spots get busy on weekends. If you need a peaceful stay, try to visit during weekdays.

Welcome to Bangalore. Welcome to a world of dust, noise, mess & traffic jams. Enjoy your stay
iVento is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks