Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2023, 00:25   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Pondicherry and back

Hi! I will be travelling to Pondicherry for official work. I will reach Chennai at night, will stay at a hotel and then travel to Pondicherry in the morning. There after spending whole day at the office, I am to travel back after 8 pm. What are the modes of transport available or preferred at 7:30 am from Chennai to Pondicherry and at about 8 pm for the return journey? The travel is scheduled coming Monday. Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 7th October 2023, 10:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chennai to Pondicherry and back

There are no trains. There are non-AC buses that are available dime a dozen from Koyambedu CMBT. There are few government operated AC buses as well, but don't know the frequency. Among private operators, Nuego is now operating EV buses to Pondy. I remember Rathi Meena travels serviced destinations on ECR and hence stops at Pondy (most likely on bypass).

Buses will take 4-4.5 hours for the journey. Unless you are hiring a taxi for the whole trip, I would advise against starting at 8 pm. You'll land in Madras past midnight. Best to stay in Pondy and return next morning.

If you want to take a self-drive, stick to the Tindivanam route both ways. You'll cross the UT border, where you have to get the permit. From airport to Pondy, I expect the drive time ~ 2.5-3 hours.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 13:03   #3
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Hi! I will be travelling to Pondicherry for official work. I will reach Chennai at night, will stay at a hotel and then travel to Pondicherry in the morning. There after spending whole day at the office, I am to travel back after 8 pm. What are the modes of transport available or preferred at 7:30 am from Chennai to Pondicherry and at about 8 pm for the return journey? The travel is scheduled coming Monday. Any help would be much appreciated.
I suggest taking a cab with driver for one day office trip to Pondicherry which is the most hassle free option. It is 150Kms one way but will take at least 2.5 hours. Also better stick to GST road rather than ECR. Hope you are staying near Airport if you are using flights in and out of Chennai.
thanixravindran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 13:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are not going to take a taxi / cab and opting for public transport then the best option for you is to take the Nuego Electric buses. They are available roughly once an hour. You can check at https://nuego.in/
pypkmsrikanth is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 21:58   #5
BHPian

Hi. Thank you all for the replies. I will travel by cab in morning and will take the bus (nuego) back.
Old 9th October 2023, 08:32   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NG_EV View Post
Hi. Thank you all for the replies. I will travel by cab in morning and will take the bus (nuego) back.
If you are taking a cab. Just ask him to wait and drive you back on the return. Cabs anyway charge close to return cost.
narayans80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 11:10   #7
Team-BHP Support

Slightly off topic - any reference for a reliable taxi driver who can drop us from Pondy to Chennai? One way drop.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks