Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2023, 11:21   #1
BHPian

Uttarakhand or Himachal Pradesh for a 4 - 5 day holiday?

Hello Bhpians!

I hope this post finds you all well.
I long for the crisp mountain air that carries whispers of pine and the invigorating scent of earth. The trails that wind through the valleys and ascend to lofty heights beckon me with promises of discovery and challenge.

I'm currently planning a 4-5 day trip to either Uttarakhand or Himachal Pradesh and would love some recommendations from seasoned travelers like yourselves.
The reason I prefer these two states more than any other states is that, it's possible to take a self drive rental vehicle without much restrictions unlike J&K and availability of rental companies in Delhi/Chandigarh.
I am from Bangalore and it is a lot easier to fly to Delhi/Chandigarh and rent a car from there than drive all the way.

I'm open to various experiences and destinations, so here are a few details about my preferences:

Journey is important to me and I am the sort of person who takes a longer route just to drive more, so distance isn't an issue to me. More the merrier.
Having driven most of the Ghat sections here in Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh, I am confident and excited about driving on Himalayan roads.
To minimize risks, I will rent a four wheel drive SUV even if the terrain doesn't demand one. Last thing I want on a holiday is to get stuck and struggle in challenging conditions in someone else's car.

Physical activities:
I love spending time doing physical activities outdoors. Recommendations for activities such as trekking (just a part of the trip and not full on Treks), camping and adventure sports is very much welcome. Even taking long walks in nature such as an estate tour like we have in some parts of South India is loved by us.

Stays:
While it may not be possible to stay away from crowd on trekking routes or places of adventure sports, seclusion is what I want when I am staying somewhere. Just want to be a bear in hibernation and the resort should be in a quiet location away from crowd.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or tips you can provide based on your own travel experiences. Whether it's hidden gems, must-visit landmarks, or local eateries, I'm eager to hear your recommendations!

Thank you in advance for your insights, and happy travels to all!

Best regards,
Abhinav V.

Last edited by Abhinav V : 25th November 2023 at 11:22.
Old 1st December 2023, 10:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Uttarakhand or Himachal Pradesh for a 4 - 5 day holiday?

Hi Abhinav, the locations that you have identified are both very good and would serve the purpose that you have in mind especially during the first 3 weeks of December before the winter holidays in Delhi begin. I would suggest that you identify one state and take it from there as you will need several trips to be able to even scratch the surface. I would suggest Uttarakhand as the first visit. You can fly down to Delhi and then move onward to Rishikesh, Rudryaprayag, Ukhimath, Joshimath etc. tracing the path of Ma Ganga. You will be able to enjoy nice drives, fantastic scenery and if you are in the mood for it rafting in Rishikesh. You can do several small 1 day treks in Rudryaprayag region. Hope this helps.
A350 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 10:42   #3
BHPian

Re: Uttarakhand or Himachal Pradesh for a 4 - 5 day holiday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350 View Post
I would suggest Uttarakhand as the first visit. You can fly down to Delhi and then move onward to Rishikesh, Rudryaprayag, Ukhimath, Joshimath etc. tracing the path of Ma Ganga. You will be able to enjoy nice drives, fantastic scenery and if you are in the mood for it rafting in Rishikesh. You can do several small 1 day treks in Rudryaprayag region.
Hey A350,
I have Harshil Valley and Gangotri in mind.
Another place I have in mind is Munsiyari. Looking at its location on the map, as it is located very deep inside the state - almost near the border area, I thought there would be road closures due to snow fall.
Any idea when snowfall starts generally in Uttarakhand or Himachal Pradesh?
To be on the safer side, I will pick only a proper four wheel drive SUV from a rental.

Thank you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks