Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2007, 01:12   #1
BHPian

agra to pune

Hey guys...I have recently purchased a used esteem at my home town, agra. Will be driving it down to my current location, Pune. Am planning to do this over 2 days..

Wat wud be the best route to do this? Via Udaipur or via MP??

pls pour in ur advices!

regards,
FE
Old 11th August 2007, 11:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

The shortest route to get to Pune from Agra is Bombay-Agra Road (NH3), via Gwalior, Guna, Shivpuri, Shajahanpur, Indore, Dhulia, Ahmednagar/Nashik. The route via Udaipur would mean going via Bharatpur to Jaipur first and having to bypass Bombay.

The unfortunate thing about the MP route (first option) is that roads can be awful during the rains - bad stretches almost throughout - in Gwalior-Guna, Shajahanpur-Dewas, Mhow-Sendhwa. Maharashtra roads are OK.

Assuming roads are decent, I would leave Agra in the morning of Day 1 and reach Indore by evening, and on Day 2 evening reach Pune. Please keep in mind that I have ben stuck in traffic jams up to 10 kms long approaching Indore in rainy season, although having a small car helps you navigate through the trucks stuck on the road. I have no idea of teh condition of the roads this year, but I would be cautious.

On the other hand, if you take the NH 11/NH8 route via Bharatpur, Jaipur, Bhilwara, Udaipur, Ahmedabad, Vadodara, Surat and Bombay, roads are good except for some stretches - especially Vadodara-Surat and Manor-Ghodbunder (near Bombay). Assuming you are a fast driver, you could reach Ahmedabad on Day 1, and Pune on Day 2 eveing. This means a very early morning start and consistent high speeds in a 15-hour plus day.
Old 21st August 2007, 14:23   #3
BHPian

hey hv..and others!

thanks a lot HV fr all the info and sharing your logs...im sorry i couldn't reply as I was travelling..

I did the Agra-Pune drive by the MP route.
Day 1: Started from Agra at 5 am..Roads till Gwalior are awesome (my 20 kmpl FE on this stretch proves it)..Hereon, the roads just get worse and worse. Reached Indore around 6pm.
Day 2: Started from Indore at 5 am...the roads are not there..u cant call the stretch till Sendhwa roads at all..and the heavy truck traffic on the route was a bad start to the day. Roads improved drastically once we entered Maharashtra. Went on to Nashik and continued to Pune on NH 50. Reached home around 9 pm.
Old 21st August 2007, 16:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are planning to stay longer (more than 3months) with this car in Pune, you might look at paying the MH road tax and getting it registered there.

The RTO is quite strict about the tax collection in MH.
Old 21st August 2007, 16:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATAL3RROR View Post
hey hv..and others!

thanks a lot HV fr all the info and sharing your logs...im sorry i couldn't reply as I was travelling..

I did the Agra-Pune drive by the MP route.
Day 1: Started from Agra at 5 am..Roads till Gwalior are awesome (my 20 kmpl FE on this stretch proves it)..Hereon, the roads just get worse and worse. Reached Indore around 6pm.
Day 2: Started from Indore at 5 am...the roads are not there..u cant call the stretch till Sendhwa roads at all..and the heavy truck traffic on the route was a bad start to the day. Roads improved drastically once we entered Maharashtra. Went on to Nashik and continued to Pune on NH 50. Reached home around 9 pm.
Looks like you were very fast despite the bad roads!
Were there traffic jams in the Shajahanpur-Dewas stretch?
I am sure the roads from Mhow onwards must have been awful? Does the NH3 still go through the Mhow contonment?
Any Reliance pumps en route?
How do you rate the facilities - food, petrol stations, punctures, toilets, etc?
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:57   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Looks like you were very fast despite the bad roads!
Were there traffic jams in the Shajahanpur-Dewas stretch?
I am sure the roads from Mhow onwards must have been awful? Does the NH3 still go through the Mhow contonment?
Any Reliance pumps en route?
How do you rate the facilities - food, petrol stations, punctures, toilets, etc?
Made the most of what we could on the stretches from agra to gwalior and the highways in Maharashtra...no thankfully no traffic jams on the Shajapur-Dewas stretch...a bit of traffic and terrible roads till we entered Maharashtra..cant blv this is a national highway!!

yea the route still passes through Mhow Cantonment..since we left early, it dint take us much time to get out of this place..

Reliance pumps..sporadic..and that too, most of them were closed down..

Food was a big problem, very few decent places to eat at. Most dhabas were more of permit rooms fr the truck drivers
Petrol stations not a problem at all. Was running on Speed 97, which was available at most pumps near the big cities.
No punctures on the journey, so cant comment on that.
Restroom facilities..very few.

All in all, this highway is not recommended..not at all in this season.
Old 22nd August 2007, 16:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
If you are planning to stay longer (more than 3months) with this car in Pune, you might look at paying the MH road tax and getting it registered there.

The RTO is quite strict about the tax collection in MH.
hey dadu..I wont be staying here for more than an year..a couple of months at max..i think im just required to intimate the RTO and pay some entry tax..

can any1 throw some light on this?
Old 7th September 2007, 17:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hey dadu..I wont be staying here for more than an year..a couple of months at max..i think im just required to intimate the RTO and pay some entry tax..

can any1 throw some light on this?
I believe you would still need to pay entry tax in Maharastra if the car's age is less than 12 months, regardless of how long you are staying here. I found this info when I was bringing my car over. Since mine was over 12 months, I didnt bother paying anything.

Also, keep those Highway toll tickets handy in case RTO catches you.
Old 10th September 2007, 10:45   #9
BHPian

no entry tax for cars older than 12 months? kool!! i got my pollution check done a day before i left..so no better photographic proof than that!
Old 10th September 2007, 11:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Easier said than done, difficult to argue with those RTO guys, as they are always looking for a quick buck, keep all paperwork handy, just incase.

Quote:
no entry tax for cars older than 12 months? kool!! i got my pollution check done a day before i left..so no better photographic proof than that!
Old 3rd April 2009, 19:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Easier said than done, difficult to argue with those RTO guys, as they are always looking for a quick buck, keep all paperwork handy, just incase.
Dadu, do RTO of Maharastra have any grudge with non MH passing vehicles, even all papers are OK?

Can one can write their experience.

Post EDITED since it contained various [FONT], [COLOR] and [SIZE] tags.
Posting with such text formatting should be avoided on Team-BHP as it is inconvenient for members to read post.
Kindly go through Announcements section before proceeding.

Thanking You for your anticipated co-operation

The Team-BHP Support

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd April 2009 at 21:00. Reason: Font tags
Old 4th June 2023, 11:22   #12
BHPian

Re: agra to pune

Last week, did a road trip with family in my Ciaz.
Pune --> Agra --> Jaipur --> Pune.
Roads are great and no issues faced during the entire round trip.

Onward Route : Pune - Chakan - Alephata - Lasalgaon - Malegaon - Dhule - Indore - Guna - Gwalior - Agra.

Started at 4 am from Wakad (Pune), breakfast at 8 am in Malegaon, Lunch at 1:30 pm in Indore & 7 pm halt in Guna (Hamlinn inn resort).
Next day journey started from Guna at 7:30 am & reached Agra by 1:00 pm.
used AirBnB for stay in Agra.

My take : Once you cross Indore, there are hardly any decent places to stop for a food/tea/bio-break along with family on the highway. I had to struggle.

Moved from Agra to Jaipur. Agra to Jaipur = 264 kms
Used AirBnB for stay in Jaipur too.

Return Route : Jaipur - Kishangarh - Bhilwara - Neemuch - Ratlam - Sendhwa - Dhule - Malegaon - Lasalgaon - Alephata - Pune

Started at 7 am from Jaipur, breakfast at Kishangarh, Lunch on highway, night halt at Sendhwa (was too tired to continue till Dhule).
next day started journey at 7 am and reached Pune (wakad) by 4 pm.

Total trip was 3247 kms with sightseeing in Agra (& around) & Jaipur( & around)
Pune to Agra = 1264 kms Toll = 1745
Agra to Jaipur = 264 kms
Jaipur to Pune = 1216 kms Toll = 1527

Fuel cost = ~16000 for 173 liters.
faridsahmed is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks