Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2007, 15:03   #1
BHPian

Bangalore to Kerela on a bike : Is it advisable??

I am planning a road trip from bangalore to kerela from 2nd to 6th October. I have the following queries

What is the latest condition of roads (considering there has been consistent rainfall in the region)?

How advisable it is to undertake this trip on a bike ?
We had earlier planned this in a car but the guy who owns the car is not available and nor is his car and I abhor the idea of traveling by train or bus and since it will be only 2 of us renting a taxi will be a lil expensive.

Help
Old 17th September 2007, 15:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Which part of Kerala mate ? Would make it easier for us to answer.
Old 17th September 2007, 15:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

jkdas & Sankar did Bangalore - Varkala in Bajaj Avenger some months back.
Old 17th September 2007, 15:54   #4
BHPian

well at present we plan to travel to munnar. Have in all a 5 day plan. I found a write on a similar trip here on the forum. But the weather at bangalore and kerala is a concern and the present condition of roads too.
Old 17th September 2007, 15:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Akshat: Touring on bike is not a problem, but you need to be used to it firstly. The bike shoul be in a good shape. also what matters is the bike in which you travel.

good luck!
Old 17th September 2007, 16:03   #6
BHPian

@lohithrao : well I am used to small trips of the order of 300 kms or so. The bike is Pulsar 150 and is in really good condition (both the tires were changed last month).
Old 17th September 2007, 16:12   #7
Senior - BHPian

Then should not be an issue, you will have to face some bad stretches but thats ok!

Just keep your self prepared:

Keep spare tube
All Bulbs, esp headlight
Rain Gear
Route map

Good luck
Old 17th September 2007, 16:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

It is a lot of fun and highly recommended provided you dont plan to make a habit of it. I made that mistake, and the effects of long rides in younger days manifested during later years.

If you must use an Indian bike for long distance travel I would suggest the Bullet because it leaves the least impact on your spine. The lighter vehicles are terrible.

PS: Its KERALA, not KERELA.

Last edited by Steeroid : 17th September 2007 at 16:26.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:33   #9
Team-BHP Support

When we did my trip to Kerala last Xmas in my car, my friends accompanied us on their Pulsar 150, all the way from Bangalore to Calicut.

*As the others mentioned, make sure the bike is in good condition, and you carry a spare set of headlight bulbs, spare tyre tube and you should be in good shape.
*If both of you can ride, it helps share the load too.
*With the current weather conditions in Kerala, make sure you carry your raincoat and the likes too.
*Besides, dont forget to carry the bike papers too.

Good luck, and put up a travelogue on the same too.
Old 17th September 2007, 16:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree with "Steeroid", for long "Bullet" it is!
Old 17th September 2007, 17:01   #11
BHPian

the present condition of roads especially from cochin to coimbatore is really bad...but i guess bikes wil have lesser trouble than cars...better not to travel in the night time
Old 17th September 2007, 17:12   #12
BHPian

well I totally agree that a "Bullet" is the perfect option. But sadly it is not an option for me. My friend has a pulsar and so a pulsar it will be.

I really appreciate the help and support from you guys. I don't know if I will actually make this trip on the bike ( Trip will happen for sure as I have non refundable tickets to and fro Bangalore Mumbai ). But will surely write a travelogue once i am done and get back in a sober state.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:38   #13
Senior - BHPian

Are you planning to ride solo or with a pillion? Pulsar is capable of doing the trip but the pillion rider would definitely feel the lack of a backrest on long trip. I & Jk went on the Avenger and even with the backrest it was a pain over long distance. And the best seat was of course the riders and we had to fight for it lol

Take only minimum luggage, invest in a Cramster luggage if you have lots of stuff to carry it's worth it.

Carry spare bulb, spark plug, throttle cable, clutch cable, road map TTK or Eicher, basic tools that came with the bike + a plug spanner, a plier. If you're carrying a spare tube then you should know how to change the tube and carry a pair of tyre irons so that if not you then at least somebody else can do it for you. Dont forget to take the wheel spanner. And to fill up the tube carry a foot pump or buy one of those puncture repair bottles which will inflate the tyre.

Or you can avoid taking the tube+related stuff by filling up the tyre with those self sealing liquids; it's available for tube type tyre also. Do it before you start off. I would prefer this.

Always fill up at the first fuel station you see on the highway if you're on reserve.

When we went we didn't take any of these things that i spoke above of. And luckily our trip was uneventful. But if i am to make another trip on the bike i would definitely take them.

Edit: Riding two up on a Pulsar will be hard & tiring unless you do something about the back rest.

Last edited by Sankar : 17th September 2007 at 17:39.
Old 17th September 2007, 19:51   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat View Post
well at present we plan to travel to munnar. Have in all a 5 day plan. I found a write on a similar trip here on the forum. But the weather at bangalore and kerala is a concern and the present condition of roads too.
Akshat,

The Coimbatore-Palakkad-Trissur-Chalakudy road is in bad shape, hence I would suggest you avoid that route. In any case, the shortest route from Bangalore to Munnar is via Dharapuram, which means you can go off NH47 at Perundurai/Avinashi and go to Udumalaipet via Dharapuram. The TN roads are in good shape. From Udumalaipet to Munnar roads are in OK shape too. Please keep in mind that the Udumalaipet-Munnar route has lots of wildlife from Chinar to Maraiyur, and you may be stopped at the check post after dark. Therefore, target reaching Chinar latest by 5 pm to avoid any unpleasant encounter with both forest department as well as forest dwellers.

It will be a great drive. I am unsure whether you will be able to make it the same day unless you leave very early, are very fast, restrict halts and dont have any punctures, etc.
Old 17th September 2007, 19:53   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshat View Post
well I totally agree that a "Bullet" is the perfect option. But sadly it is not an option for me. My friend has a pulsar and so a pulsar it will be.

I really appreciate the help and support from you guys. I don't know if I will actually make this trip on the bike ( Trip will happen for sure as I have non refundable tickets to and fro Bangalore Mumbai ). But will surely write a travelogue once i am done and get back in a sober state.
I have gone all over India in a 1986 TVS Suzuki 100 cc bike (average cruising speed 65 kmph) which has a 6v lighting system, and never had any problems - does not matter which the bike is. It is all in the mind - and the skilled hands of the rider.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks