Team-BHP - Bangalore to Goa and Back.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore to Goa and Back. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/28983-bangalore-goa-back.html)

Hello all,
I need some information who have covered this route in the recent past few months. Mainly I need the information of how good/bad the condition of the road is.
I am planning on this trip in Oct.
While going this is the route i am planning:
Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur - Tarikere - Shimoga - Sagar - Honavar - Karwar

with night halt in shimoga. How much time does it take from Shimoga to Karwar ??

While returning to Bangalore-
oa-karwar-gokarna-honnavara-murdeshwara-marvanthe-kollur(hosanagar-nagodi ghat)-hosanagara-shimoga-tumkur-bangalore

with a night halt in maravanthe.

thanks.
(have a baleno and will be driving the same)

Hope this helps:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...alore-goa.html

Abhi

Abhi,
I think he is asking for the road conditions after recent rains/monsoon.
Did anyone travel very recently on this route.

Thanks.

Madhu I suggest that you do the same route mentioned by you and stay over nite at Murudeshwar instead of Shimoga(unless its your hometown and have relatives/parents there).

Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur - Tarikere - Shimoga - Sagar - Honnavar - Murudeshwar.

Stay at the RNS Yatri Nivas or even Naveen beach resorts.

If you start early, you can visit Jog enroute and then stay overnite at Murudeshwar.

We did the drive and started at 4am, with umpteen number of stops we still managed to reach Murudeshwar by abt 5pm.

As for the condition of the roads wait till hvkumar replies :).

Quote:

Originally Posted by rjstyles69 (Post 568159)
As for the condition of the roads wait till hvkumar replies :).

Madhukar,
Join Indiahighways group in yahoo( Kumar is Moderator of the group) . You can find good amout of information about the motorable roads & their conditions.
Happy touring
cheers

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhukar_n (Post 568090)
Hello all,
I need some information who have covered this route in the recent past few months. Mainly I need the information of how good/bad the condition of the road is.
I am planning on this trip in Oct.
Bangalore - Nelamangala - Tumkur - Tiptur - Arsikere - Kadur - Tarikere - Shimoga - Sagar - Honavar - Karwar

with night halt in shimoga. How much time does it take from Shimoga to Karwar ??

oa-karwar-gokarna-honnavara-murdeshwara-marvanthe-kollur(hosanagar-nagodi ghat)-hosanagara-shimoga-tumkur-bangalore

thanks.
(have a baleno and will be driving the same)

Last heard of, the route via Shimoga and Sagar to Honavar was OK, but road conditions can change abruptly with 1-2 days of heavy rain. Several of our friends have taken this route and have reported good roads. It would take over 5 hours for a fast driver to get from Shimoga to Karwar (260 kms). But I am told that the roads in South Goa leading to Canacona, Madagaon are in shambles. I am told that it was raining heavily even earlier this week in Goa.

Returning on NH17 can be a bad experience considering that the road from Kumta is in a bad shape - one hopes that the roads will be patched up by October. At least, they are pretty quick with repairs in Goa.

I have no current update on the condition of the Kollur-Tirthahalli road, but my past experience is that even during the rainy season I have driven on good roads on this route, but I may be wrong. From Tirthahalli, you take NH13 to Shimoga.

Another route that has been voted as a good road in the rainy season is the route via Haveri and Sirsi to Kumta, maybe you can do that in the onward journey instead of the Shimoga route - but I would not miss the glory of the Jog Falls at this time of the year!

Madhukar why don't tou take the bangalore - tumkur - hubli route? This route was getting four laned last time I used it. From hubli you could go to karwar and then onto goa. Don't know about present road condition.

we did a trip from Chennai to Goa and back a few months ago on new CRV.we went from Chennai to blr to Mangalore to murudeeshwar ( night halt -had some work in Bhatkal ) goa was only 230km from murudeeshwar.on the way back went from goa to Belgaum ( on this road a 15km stretch was so bad ,it took us more than 90 mts to cross ) to bangalore ( this stretch was the best as we were able to drive fairly fast ) to chennai.The Crv was an auto transmission and averaged abt 10kmpl.but the drive was great and stress free.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikram_d (Post 568319)
Madhukar why don't tou take the bangalore - tumkur - hubli route? This route was getting four laned last time I used it. From hubli you could go to karwar and then onto goa. Don't know about present road condition.

Vikram_d, Heard that the Ankola road is not in good shape...In that case, Siris route is always favourable...Devimane ghat is in good shape !! Also the distance is less compared to NH63 route...

Oh God, when will NH4A and Dharwad - Londa route will be in good shape? It is the worst since ages now...:confused:

Abhi

guys,
thanks a lot on the info. even i heard the roads are pretty bad on nh17.
i am going oct 1st week. so i guess the road condition and the rain would not have changed. so just going ahead with the trip.

Shimoga i thought was a good place to stay overnight. i am leaving quite late in the day at abt 1pm, so going to honnavara will become late. is there any other good place to stay between shimoga and honnavara ? i have to be in karwar(devbagh) by 12 pm.. so i guess will have to leave early in the morning.

thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhukar_n (Post 568860)
guys,
i am going oct 1st week. so i guess the road condition and the rain would not have changed. so just going ahead with the trip.

That works out perfectly for me!! lol:
I am going to goa in the third week of October... and will most probably be taking the Shimoga route. So please do let me at least know how the conditions are!!

Thanks
Amitoj

Quote:

Shimoga i thought was a good place to stay overnight. i am leaving quite late in the day at abt 1pm, so going to honnavara will become late. is there any other good place to stay between shimoga and honnavara ? i have to be in karwar(devbagh) by 12 pm.. so i guess will have to leave early in the morning.

thanks.

Check out whether KTDC has a hotel at Jog Falls - that is 2 hours beyond Shimoga and closer to Honavar.

Quote:

Originally Posted by madhukar_n (Post 568090)
Hello all,

Madhukar good choice of route....can expect lots of green in these route...before shimoga thr is a short bad stretch, managable. Hosanagar - nagodi ghat would be fun but i guess roads would be little beaten up and also narrow. try travelling in day time.

Bangalore to Honnavara doable in 8 hrs.

Quote:

guys,

thanks.

Just before sagar town there is a good hotel on the hi way itself, forgot the name.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 568301)

I have no current update on the condition of the Kollur-Tirthahalli road, but my past experience is that even during the rainy season I have driven on good roads on this route, but I may be wrong. From Tirthahalli, you take NH13 to Shimoga.

Kollur-Tirthahalli road should be good, not much of traffic but better to be done during the day.