Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2007, 07:50   #1
BHPian

Help needed-3 day trip to kerala

Hi,
My family get together is going to happen on 18th of october 2007. All of them want to go somewhere, i am currently plcaed in mysore so our trip will start from mysore. Initially i had the mangalore to karwar strech in my mind , but people here are saying mysore to mangalore stretch has pathetic roads... Any useful information about this?

the other option will be to visit KERALA. well here is the plan
we start of early morning by 4.00 am towards kerala on 19th october , and want to come back by sunday evening 21st oct 2007, can extend one day more that is 22nd oct 2007.

Please help me which of the two option i should choose and exact places and route we shoud cover
1) Mysore --Mangalore -- Karwar -- Mysore.
2) Mysore -- Kerala -- Mysore.

thanks in advance.
Old 9th October 2007, 12:14   #2
BHPian

I think 3 days is very less to visit a good place in Kerala.

If you enjoy driving then take Mysore - Ooty - Coimbatore - Udmalpet - Munnar & back. If you leave in the morning, you will reach around 3.0pm to Munnar. Nice place with all the tea gardens. travel around Munnar for a day and next day you can return back to Mysore. Try to stay at some Home stays out of Munar.You will never get bored of driving to Munar or staying there.

Mysore to Coimbatore & then Udmalpet to Munnar is very scenic. You wont get a better place than this.

If you dont want to travel much then visit Mysore - Wayanad - Ooty - Mysore will be better.
Old 9th October 2007, 14:15   #3
BHPian

Munnar

yah i was thinking of this also...

how are the roads.

otherwise pondicherry(tamilnaidu) will also do.

yah i love driving , the problem is my family members never allow me to take the vechile for long drives
Old 9th October 2007, 14:57   #4
BHPian

Roads are good when we visited last time(around a year back). At tamilnad & kerala roads are maintained well. Should not be an issue.

Udmalpet to Munar road is sparingly used as most of the tourists travel from cochin. Its a nice winding road surrounded by thick forest.

I dont refer travelling to pondi as there are few places to see there & boring to drive.
Stick to Munar,
Old 9th October 2007, 17:08   #5
Senior - BHPian

I second Tiger's suggestion to go to either Wyanad (short drive) or Munnar (longer). Roads to both these places are currently in good condition except for a few bad patches here and there. Munnar can be reached easily from Mysore in 6-8 hours, depending on your speed/halts via Sathyamangalam, Coimbatore, Pollachi and Udumalaipet. Ad if you arrive on Day 1, you can spend a minimum 2 nights there or even 3 if you plan well. Munnar will be lovely now, with winter setting in and the absence of holidaying crowds.

Avoid places like Kochi and Kumarakom because the road from Coimbatore to Kochi is in a bad shape.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:22   #6
BHPian

whats the vehicle u r using...if its a safari or scorpio then u can go ahead with ur plan to kerala...
If not not even thnik of going to kerala...ROADS ARE MISSING..
Old 10th October 2007, 15:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
whats the vehicle u r using...if its a safari or scorpio then u can go ahead with ur plan to kerala...
well i will be going with 1 month ols AVEO 1.4. What about the munnar road , is it that bad..
Old 10th October 2007, 20:38   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutCARS View Post
well i will be going with 1 month ols AVEO 1.4. What about the munnar road , is it that bad..
Munnar route via Udumalaipet is in good condition. It is mainly the Coimbatore-Palakkad-Trissur-Kochi road that is in a very bad shape - but you don't have to go anywhere that side.
Old 10th October 2007, 21:13   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binoyb22 View Post
You're right.

I went to Kerala last week by BUS and there was NO ROAD AT ALL from BANGALORE to KOTTAYAM via SALEM.
It was potholes, craters, potholes and craters all the way. If you hate your car, this is the best route to take.

BTW, the bus reached 5 hours late.

-- Torqy
Old 11th October 2007, 01:26   #10
BANNED

You're from Mysore, want a 3 day driving holiday, preferably by the west coast or Kerala, don't want to drive very far and you are taking your 1 month old Aveo baby! That much I gathered from your posts. Right?
Keeping all the above situations in mind, I would recommend you to either take the west coast plan. You can drive thru Madikeri, Sullya and reach Kasargod/Mangalore. Another better option is Coorg. With the flashes of rains and thick greens, now is a good time to go. You can choose the same route.

Stay out from Kerala as much as possible. The roads are begging for mercy, let alone the vehicles!
Old 11th October 2007, 09:45   #11
BHPian

[don't want to drive very far and you are taking your 1 month old Aveo baby! That much I gathered from your posts. Right?} yeah you are correct 1 month old.
[You can drive thru Madikeri, Sullya and reach Kasargod/Mangalore. Another better option is Coorg. With the flashes of rains and thick greens, now is a good time to go. You can choose the same route.] -- how about the roads , are they motorable.

Stay out from Kerala as much as possible. The roads are begging for mercy, let alone the vehicles![/quote] --i need to think over this as lot of people are saying to stay away from kerala.
Old 11th October 2007, 17:15   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madaboutCARS View Post
[don't want to drive very far and you are taking your 1 month old Aveo baby! That much I gathered from your posts. Right?} yeah you are correct 1 month old.
[You can drive thru Madikeri, Sullya and reach Kasargod/Mangalore. Another better option is Coorg. With the flashes of rains and thick greens, now is a good time to go. You can choose the same route.] -- how about the roads , are they motorable.

Stay out from Kerala as much as possible. The roads are begging for mercy, let alone the vehicles!
--i need to think over this as lot of people are saying to stay away from kerala.[/quote]

I agree with hvKumar

If you are going to Munar via udmalpet then there is no problem. Roads are pretty good. If you are going beyond Munar then it may be a problem.
You will never cross those roads which speedzack & torqy has mentioned.
Old 11th October 2007, 18:13   #13
BHPian

If the roads in Kerala are bad, the better option is to go to a place like Kakabe in Coorg. A very nice place with view of Todiyendamol, the tallest peak in Coorg and a nice temple known as the Igutappa temple.

I had gone here thru Bagmandala after visiting Talacauvery and the whole route was wonderful. I guess the roads should be OK that side since the traffic there is not too heavy.

S.Suresh
Old 11th October 2007, 18:19   #14
BHPian

I also feel you would be better off heading over to Coorg for a nice family holiday for a couple of days .. for one it isnt too far from Mysore .. the drive is nice .. i'm sure the road must be complete by now (cos when i went in Jan this year its was just done halfway) so thats a nice enough drive .. and your car wont take too much strain as well

if you do plan to head out to kerala from Mysore you should have a few more days cos here you would end up spending more that 24 hours driving (12+12) to munnar .. and end up being tired and exhausted

oh by the way .. if you are into adventure sports i heard they have this white water rafting facility somewhere in the area(Coorg) a friend of mine had gone recently .. do check it out if you're into it
Old 11th October 2007, 18:58   #15
BANNED

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ht=am+i+so+bad
Have a look at the first page of above thread. The author speaks about Munnar - Marayoor - Udumalpet stretch. That way, you can avoid the bad roads (errr.. how can you avoid something which does not exist in the first place????!!!!).
If you want an extension/excitement, you can drive down to Kochi from Munnar - Thodupuzha - Muvattupuzha - Thiruvankulam route. Or alternatively, go to the Veegaland amusement park (if you are interested in such things) for which you go to Perumbavoor from Muvattupuzha and then take the Ernakulam/Kochi road. I think the Munnar - Ernakulam roads are reasonably good (though not very straight or excellent).
If you actually come down to Kochi, take the Kochi - Kodungallur - [Irinjalakuda/Thriprayar - Trichur -Shornur - Perintalmanna OR Kodungallur-Thriprayar-Kunnamkulam-Pattambi - Perintalmanna] Nilambur - Mysore route (details on other threads) for a round trip. If you take the latter part of this advice, Start from Kochi early - around 5 AM so that you avoid the bad traffic (the roads are good) on NH 17.
Plenty of unauthorised constructions have been demolished in Munnar in past 4 months, so accommodation may be difficult; but not impossible or bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks