Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2007, 19:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Terichendur to Trivandrum - Best Route

Hai TBHpers,

I would be doing the Terichendur - Trivandrum stretch sometime around November 18th. I found the shortest route would be through Terichendur - Sattankulam - Valliyur (joins NH47 here) drive down till Kavalkinaru then leave NH 47 and take SH 45 which will go over the ghats and join NH 47 on the other cost somewhere near Padmanabhappuram then Neyyatinkara and TVM.

Another alternative would be from Vallivyr travel down on NH7 reach Nagarkoil and drive up on NH47, which I suspect would be faster, though it would take 1- 2 hours more.

Which would be the best route to take?

Anyone has done this stretch and any information on this route would be a great help.

Thanks in advance & Happy Driving,

--Ramky
Old 27th October 2007, 23:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Ramky, once you join NH7 at Valliyoor, keep going straight till Nagercoil (NH7 branches off around 18 kms before Nagercoil towards kanyakumari). Cross Nagercoil town (a pain, but not too much to cover, keep asking for Trivandrum road), and you will be on Nh47 coming from kanyakumari, which will take you straight to Trivandrum.

Theoretically, there are lots of roads in and around this area, all inter-linked, but the are not to be taken - what I have suggested is the direct and most appropriate route from Tiruchendur to Trivandrum.

There is of course the longer option to drive down the coast from Tiruchendur to Kanyakumari via Koddankulam and then take Nh47 from there via Nagercoil to Trivandrum.
Old 28th October 2007, 00:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Kumar

thanks.

I'm skipping cape & will drive direct to tvm. Like you said, I also thought nh 7 nh47 are fastest options. A friend said there are state highways skipping nagarcoil, but roads are slow. If I have time it would be fun exploring them.

--Ramky
-------------
Old 28th October 2007, 10:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
thanks.

I'm skipping cape & will drive direct to tvm. Like you said, I also thought nh 7 nh47 are fastest options. A friend said there are state highways skipping nagarcoil, but roads are slow. If I have time it would be fun exploring them.

--Ramky
-------------
I have been around the interior roads in Kanyakumari District, I can assure you that they are congested, small and totally non-descrepit. You will miss nothing by sticking to NH7/NH47.
Old 29th October 2007, 11:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

It's Highway Then?

Thanks again, looks like its NH 7 & 47 then?

==========
Old 29th October 2007, 11:54   #6

It's really very simple!
Thiruchendur-Sattankulam-Valliyur-NAGERCOIL-Trivandrum.
You dont have to cross any Ghat sections!
Between Valliyur and Nagercoil you will come across a place called Aramboly{Aralvai mozhi}which is a pass in the Western Ghats and strong winds blow and you will see old tiled houses have stones kept above the tiles to prevent them from flying off!
It is also a place for Wind mills- take pictures!
Valliyur-Nagercoil is on NH7 and Nagercoil- Trivandrum is on NH47.
10 kms from Nagercoil,you will come to a place called Thuckaly and that's where you have Padmanabhapuram
which was the old capital of Travancore Rajas before they shifted to Trivandrum.You can stop and visit the Palace.
Here is a funny thing-the palace and the grounds belong to Govt. of Kerala though the place is in Kanyakumari Distt of Tamil nadu.
If you are new to these places I suggest you take time to see Kanyakumari-lands end of India which is hardly 18Kms from Nagercoil!
Roads are good-was there last week.
You can also do Thiruchendur-Kanyakumari via East Coast Road then Kanyakumari-Trivandrum by NH47.
But I have not used East cost Roads-you have to enquire at Thruchendur
Sukumar.
Old 29th October 2007, 13:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_sukumar View Post
You can also do Thiruchendur-Kanyakumari via East Coast Road then Kanyakumari-Trivandrum by NH47.
But I have not used East cost Roads-you have to enquire at Thruchendur
Sukumar.
The East Coast Road is normally good, but now that rains have started in the region, one can't be sure how many pot holes it will accumulate.
Old 26th December 2022, 22:25   #8
BHPian

Re: Terichendur to Trivandrum - Best Route

Reviveing this old thread for route status and advise. Next month, i will travelling from thirchendur - to tiruvananthapuram temple - then to Kanyakumari night halt. Ppl frequenting this route kindly advise best route.
Old 27th December 2022, 10:33   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: Terichendur to Trivandrum - Best Route

Might i suggest you plan you get to Kanyakumari after Thiruchendur and then to Trivandrum for the night stay. Have a relaxed night's rest and head over to Sree Padmanabhaswamy Temple in Thiruvananthapuram in the morning afresh.

Route is the standard one via Nagercoil. Pre 8AM and post 8PM are the best times to travel in this route on the Kerala side at least.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks