Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2007, 17:41   #1
BHPian

Chennai to Srisailam : Route Queries

Hi,

I am planning a trip to Srisailam in Andhra Pradesh from Chennai. Does anyone done this stretch before? Please share your experiences and also let me know any good place to stay there.
Old 7th December 2007, 16:27   #2

Following is the best route from Chennai to Srisailam.
Chennai - Tada - Gudur - Nellore - Kavali - Ongole - Podile - Markapur - Dornala - Srisailam.

Chennai to Ongole (~300 Kms) was on GQ (NH-5). At Ongole, you need to turn left onto road towards Podile and pass through Podile, Markapur, Dornala and Srisailam (~170 Kms).

Road condition was very good for most of this route. Even though there are other shorter routes available, this will be better option based on road condition.

You need to plan such that you will reach Srisailam before 7 PM. The road will be closed at Dornala during nights because the road goes through forest.

AP Tourism's Punnami Srisailam offer good accommodation. For more details check at
APTDC :: Accommodation : Punnami Srisailam.

You can do the reservation at Chennai at following address
Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation
Tamilnadu Tourism Complex
Near Kalaivanar Arangam, Wallajah Road
Chennai-600 002
Ph: 044-25381213 Fax: 044-25366613
Old 7th December 2007, 18:20   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrchowdary View Post
Following is the best route from Chennai to Srisailam.
Chennai - Tada - Gudur - Nellore - Kavali - Ongole - Podile - Markapur - Dornala - Srisailam.
Thanks a lot ksrchowdary. Appreciate your inputs. Any idea about where can I stop on the way for breakfast/lunch. Thx.
Old 8th December 2007, 13:29   #4
BHPian

Gudur is a major bus and railway junction, Ongole and Nellore are big enough for you to find decent food. Podile and Markapur are Major towns, I am not sure about quality of food one finds there. I keep hearing the ghat road towards Srisailam from Markapur side is more challenging than Northern approach, you may want to be prepared (or) get some ideas from folks that have traveled the route.
Old 10th December 2007, 13:08   #5
BHPian

My suggestion would be to pack your meals and stock enough water. Adding to what "sreenivass" said, Dornala is also a decent place to stop over for a snack. And remember, after Dornala, there isn't any major place for you to eat a meal till you reach Srisailam. So, plan accordingly. And hope you are lucky to spot some wild life.
Old 11th December 2007, 09:54   #6
BHPian

Thanks @sreenivass and @muralisk. I'll keep your suggestions in mind. I am planning to travel by mid-january. Will post a travelogue about the experience.
Old 21st December 2007, 20:56   #7
BHPian

BTW my B-I-L told me they had to wait until next morning since approach to Srisailam from Dornala closes at 4 P.M or so. Have a good trip and we will be looking for your travelogue.
Old 24th March 2013, 18:50   #8
BHPian

re: Chennai to Srisailam : Route Queries

Hi,

I am reviving this thread as I am planning a trip to Srisailam from chennai. What is the best route and how is the road condition? I have never driven this route and lots inputs required for planning. Need info like what will be the good time to start so that I can reach in a relaxed manner? And most importantly the hotels enroute and accomodation in Srisailam.

Thanks in advance for help!
Old 25th March 2013, 06:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989
Hi,

I am reviving this thread as I am planning a trip to Srisailam from chennai. What is the best route and how is the road condition? I have never driven this route and lots inputs required for planning. Need info like what will be the good time to start so that I can reach in a relaxed manner? And most importantly the hotels enroute and accomodation in Srisailam.

Thanks in advance for help!
Chennai-Vijayawada-Chotuppal-Outer Ring Road-Srisailam Road-Srisailam

Chennai-VJA:6hrs
VJA-Chotuppal:3.5hrs
ORR:30mins
ORR exit-Srisailam:4.5hrs

Chennai-VJA eating facilities are poor virtually non existent.VJA-Hyd plenty of options at Suryapet(midway between vja and hyd).Hyd-Srisailam again no facilities except for some wayside tea shops.Chennai hyd fully 4laned.Some diversions between Ongold and VJA.Nothing worrisome.

At srisailam very poor facilities for stay and food.APTDC Harita is the only option-that too is average at best..Book online.No other worthy option to mention about.

If you are not insistent on staying at Srisailam I would suggest stay in Hyd and do it as a day trip.If you leave HYd by 530am you would be back in Hyd by 6pm
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 11:02   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Chennai-Vijayawada-Chotuppal-Outer Ring Road-Srisailam Road-Srisailam

Chennai-VJA:6hrs
VJA-Chotuppal:3.5hrs
ORR:30mins
ORR exit-Srisailam:4.5hrs
Thanks for the inputs ranjitp. I have a doubt though. Do I need to go to Vijayawada? Google maps shows diversion from Ongole. Ongole - Markapur - Srisailam. Is there some problem with this road?
The Chennai-Ongole-Markapur-Srisailam route ~485kms while the chennai-Vijayawada-Chottupal-Srisailam is ~945kms.
Old 25th March 2013, 11:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
Thanks for the inputs ranjitp. I have a doubt though. Do I need to go to Vijayawada? Google maps shows diversion from Ongole. Ongole - Markapur - Srisailam. Is there some problem with this road?
The Chennai-Ongole-Markapur-Srisailam route ~485kms while the chennai-Vijayawada-Chottupal-Srisailam is ~945kms.
So Sorry I misread the part on the route.I completely forgot the part that you are coming from Chennai.The route would be NH5 till Ongole.At Ongole turn left for the Podile-Markapur-Dornala-Srisailam route.The forest CP at Dornala afaik closes at 7pm and opens at 6am,so you could plan your timings accordingly.Ongole-Srisailam should take you around 4.5hrs for the approx 200kms as roads are average.The forest section is for approximately 60kms.No facilities worth mentioning enroute.Packing food with you would be a good option.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2015, 12:36   #12
BHPian

Did this trip over the weekend.While going,I took Addanki route (Left Chennai at 6 AM and reached Srisailam at 2.30 PM witha 30 min break at Ongole.Route-Proceed towards Vijayawada after Ongole.At the under construction bridge, take left towards NAM expressway towards Hyderabad.After first toll booth, Take left to Srisailam.Clear Signage is available) and while coming back, took Markapuram route (Left Srisailam at 6.30 AM and reached Chennai at 4.30 PM with a 15 Min break at Ongole).The former is a tad longer but the road conditions are much better than the latter.Stayed overnight at APTDC Harita.Worst choice in the end for the exorbitant charge of 2000 for a night's stay.The damn room was infested with Bedbugs.Could not sleep for a minute.There was no one at the reception for giving me an alternate room though I was told that someone will be at the desk at all times.But the awesome Darshan compensated for all the pain I had to endure.

Last edited by ramanak : 20th April 2015 at 12:48.
Old 21st April 2015, 07:54   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
So Sorry I misread the part on the route.I completely forgot the part that you are coming from Chennai.The route would be NH5 till Ongole.At Ongole turn left for the Podile-Markapur-Dornala-Srisailam route.The forest CP at Dornala afaik closes at 7pm and opens at 6am,so you could plan your timings accordingly.Ongole-Srisailam should take you around 4.5hrs for the approx 200kms as roads are average.The forest section is for approximately 60kms.No facilities worth mentioning enroute.Packing food with you would be a good option.
The Ongole-Podili-Markapur road seems to be maked as an interior road. Is it indeed so? How safe are these sections to drive? (Desolate roads? Night driving etc?)
Old 21st April 2015, 11:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Ongole-Podili-Markapur road seems to be maked as an interior road. Is it indeed so? How safe are these sections to drive? (Desolate roads? Night driving etc?)
Very desolate even during day time except for a few construction vehicles.Definite no no during night time.
ramanak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2016, 21:52   #15
BHPian

Friends, which would be a good route if I am travelling through Madurai? I am from Trivandrum and planning to have darsan at Srisailam? Are the roads good (for my Jetta) till the destination?

Thanks in advance for all the help.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks