Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2007, 09:20   #1
BHPian

Need help - Bangalore- Kannur via Nagarhole

Hello folks,

Have planned a vacation and will be driving to Kannur via Nagarhole, spending a day in Nagarhole jungles and then to the beaches. My little one is so excite to see both the jungles and beaches. I have planned a route but wanted to get views from veterans who have done this route often. I saw many travelogues for going to kannur, but nothing via Nagarhole.

Bangalore Nagarhole is straightforward - Bangalore - Srirangapatna - Hunsur- Nagarhole. Stay will be in Jungle Inn. Hope the place is good.

It is from Nagarhole to Kannur that I am bothered about. In the map I saw the shortest route to be Nagarhole - Virarajendrapet - Iritty - Mattanur - Edayamnur - Kannur. But read dreaded stories that roads beyond Virarajendrapet is not for sedans and I will be driving my Corolla with a 4 year old kid inside. So, it is a strict no-no. That is where I need some help.

The other route is Nagarhole -Hunsur-Mannathavady-Tindummal-Kuttuparamba - Mattanur - Edayamnur - Kannur. From the map I measure the distance to be around 160-170 kilometers. Can this be done in 4 hours? Is the road motorable?

Any any suggestions for return will also be welcome. And, I am leaving this Sunday!! So folks, please help me out.

Have a happy holiday season. And a happy Bakri - Id.

Nainar

Note from mod: Thread moved, please use correct section while posting

Last edited by tsk1979 : 21st December 2007 at 11:17.
Old 21st December 2007, 13:14   #2
HKP
BHPian

suggestions...

Quote:
The other route is Nagarhole -Hunsur-Mannathavady-Tindummal-Kuttuparamba - Mattanur - Edayamnur - Kannur.
This is the better one out of the two. Road condition till mananthavady is not so great. Once you cross to Kerala border it becomes better and better.

Another point is, if you are taking this route once you reach Kuthuparamba you get a direct road to Kannur. will save some 20 kms. You can ask anyone about the Kannur road. There will be road signs also.

Kannur has a beach but not so great. (check sites like holidayiq.com for reviews) If you want to reconsider, you can go to Kozhikode (CALICUT). The road to calicut from hunsur is very good is another plus point. You will reach faster and calicut is bigger place with good facilities and they have some good beach resorts like Kappad beach ( where vasco-da-gama landed!!).

\\hkp
Old 8th December 2009, 22:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

I need help with a vaguely related query, so thought i would post in this thread.

Some family members of mine are trying to organize a taxi from Bangalore Airport to Nagarhole National park and back. This distance is 223km and should take about 5hours.

The travel agent they have spoken to is quoting Rs. 8,000+extras EACH way. Isn't that a bit much?

Does anyone have any better contacts / suggestions for where to get a taxi / rent a car+driver from in Bangalore?

Thanks,
R

PS - This is for around the 1st week of Jan 2010.
Old 8th December 2009, 23:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I need help with a vaguely related query, so thought i would post in this thread.

Some family members of mine are trying to organize a taxi from Bangalore Airport to Nagarhole National park and back. This distance is 223km and should take about 5hours.

The travel agent they have spoken to is quoting Rs. 8,000+extras EACH way. Isn't that a bit much?
Rs. 8000 + extras one way is way too much. You can get the complete trip wound up in a Innova A/C taxi for about Rs.8000.00 which has 6+1 capacity.
Per KM cost is Rs.16.00 (Corporate rate). So please do not book from the travel agent who will pick up from airport.

Again I am assuming that your family members would return after a day's stay in Nagarhole National Park.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:21   #5
BHPian

Yes, 16000+ extras two way is too much for a distance of 225 kms one way. But you have to add another 100 kms for airport pickup/drop. So 650 km total and at Rs.16/km will come to @10500, plus the driver charges which could be @250/day and all put together could be wrapped up at around 12000. And if you are taking the cab outstation, they insist on charging for atleast 250 kms/day. So, if you intend to keep the vehicle for three days, they will charge you for 750km even though you travel only 650kms.

Provide all these facts and negotiate with the travel agent. If it does not work out, pm me and I can give you some of our corporate car rental guys details.

Nainar

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks