Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2014, 18:04   #241
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Weekend trip to Chikmagalur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Thanks. But I was asking for options on NH4 (via Tumkur) given that is the recommended route. I see that these are on NH48
When did this become a recommended route for Chikmagalur?

Bangalore-Nelemangala-Kunigal-Bellur Cross-Channarayapatna-Hassan-Belur has always been the preferred route and this will be around 250 kms from City center. Its dual carriagewway (median) all the way till Hassan (Barring CR Patna Bypass and Shantigrama). The last leg from Hassan till Chikmagalur town can be done in 60-75 minutes easily which is 65 kms.

The other option that you are referring to is mostly single carriageway. Runs from Tumkur to Kadur/Devanur and then to Chikmagalur and progress will be slower. You may want to try this for one of the legs (Onward or return) but I insist that this is still not the preferred route anyways.

KSRTC too plies buses mostly on the first route than the Kadur option even before this road became 4 laned. Private cars needless to say, prefer this too.

Now that you have asked for options on NH4 -
  • Pavithra Thatte Idly Canteen at Khyatasandra, Tumkur Bypass
  • Preethi Canteen@ Arasikere
  • CCD nearing Arasikere

Last edited by paragsachania : 16th December 2014 at 18:08.
Old 16th December 2014, 18:08   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
When did this become a recommended route for Chikmagalur?

Bangalore-Nelemangala-Kunigal-Bellur Cross-Channarayapatna-Hassan-Belur has always been the preferred route and this will be around 250 kms from City center. Its dual carriagewway (median) all the way till Hassan (Barring CR Patna Bypass and Shantigrama). The last leg from Hassan till Chikmagalur town can be done in 60-75 minutes easily which is 65 kms.

The other option that you are referring to is mostly single carriageway. Runs from Tumkur to Kadur/Devanur and then to Chikmagalur and progress will be slower. You may want to try this for one of the legs (Onward or return) but I insist that this is still not the preferred route anyways.

KSRTC too plies buses mostly on the first route than the Kadur option even before this road became 4 laned. Private cars needless to say, prefer this too.

Now that you have asked for options on NH4 -
  • Pavithra Thatte Idly Canteen at Khyatasandra, Tumkur Bypass
  • Preethi Canteen@ Arasikere
  • CCD nearing Arasikere
As mentioned in my post, I was looking for route options to JLR River Tern Lodge, not to Chikmagalur. This seemed to be the only thread where there was an active discussion about that destination.

Thank you for the food recommendations though - very helpful
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:09   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As mentioned in my post, I was looking for route options to JLR River Tern Lodge, not to Chikmagalur. This seemed to be the only thread where there was an active discussion about that destination.

Realised that .

JLR, Bhadra is not really Chikmagalur if you ask me. Its almost Shimoga and hence the recommended route makes sense now!

Have a safe and wonderful trip!
Old 16th December 2014, 18:11   #244
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Realised that .

JLR, Bhadra is not really Chikmagalur if you ask me. Its almost Shimoga and hence the recommended route makes sense now!

Have a safe and wonderful trip!

EDIT- Do not take the Tumkur Ring road to reach the end of the town and hit the Arasikere route. Instead, take the fork leading into the city after Khyatasandra junction.

Ring road from the latest reports I have received is in bad shape.
paragsachania is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:30   #245
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

For refreshments:

- If you are starting late say 6AM or later, then I am sure by the time you reach Dobbaspet its going to 7AM or so.
- In that case you break there at itself (This is before Tumkur).
- You have a Kamat here.
- If you pass Tumkur much earlier, then you have a CCD at around Arsikere.
- There are not too many hotels on NH206.

Now having said that: Instead of taking
- Bangalore-Tumkur-Arisikere-Tarikere-JLR, you can do:

Bangalore-Nelamangala-Kunigal-Chanarayapatna-Arsikere-Tarikere-JLR.

This gives you:
- 4-lane for some section
- You avoid the traffic prone Bangalore-Tumkur stretch.
- You avoid crossing Tumkur.

What you have to do:
- Get on to Mangalore highway
- Drive till Channarayapttna
- Get on to bypass.
- From the bypass exit on to Arsikere SH
- This road would join NH206.
- Here is the route: Route Link

Now that you cover NH48 in part, you can also use that section for your food breaks.

- Swathi is just after Kunigal bypass. (About 8km). But its on the other side of the road, while heading towards Hassan
- Adigas is at Yediyur just a few km from Swathi.
- CCD is about 2km after Belur cross toll (Neligere)
- Mayura is just after CCD.

Last edited by ampere : 16th December 2014 at 18:31.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 18:52   #246
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore-Nelamangala-Kunigal-Chanarayapatna-Arsikere-Tarikere-JLR.
Not sure if this will really make any difference in timings.

By the time you exit NH4 and turn left for NH48 at Nelemangala, you would have reached JAS Toll booth. Till Tumkur its a breeze anyways. Plus you just have to spend less than minute at the exit booth as you only need to show the receipt.

Additionally, you will have to pay toll at 3 locations, before getting off NH4. Not to forget the fact that Hirisave still is witnessing road expansion works and traffic diverted onto makeshift lanes with speed breakers.

Quote:
What you have to do:
- Get on to Mangalore highway
- Drive till Channarayapttna
- Get on to bypass.
- From the bypass exit on to Arsikere SH
- This road would join NH206.
An easier way to remember is that Arasikere turn off is exactly at the end of the Channarayapatna bypass and right after one crosses the 3rd set of speedbreakers starting from the bypass beginning. (CR Patna bypass is a single carriageway)

Well marked and a cross road (left one here takes to town, right to Arasikere and straight to Hassan).
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 19:14   #247
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not sure if this will really make any difference in timings.
Distance wise both are pretty much the same. 10-15 km here or there. With that background I would any day prefer the 4-lane. option (Toll boths not withstanding). Plus gets you food options as well on the 4-lane.
Old 16th December 2014, 19:30   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Distance wise both are pretty much the same. 10-15 km here or there. With that background I would any day prefer the 4-lane. option (Toll boths not withstanding). Plus gets you food options as well on the 4-lane.
May be yes today only because the CR Patna-Arasikere road is back in shape. Else for Bhadra, you are better off the regular route than this small detour any day.

For food, one can always plan and drive as even this route won't have anything between Bellur Cross- CR Patna- Arasikere.

It is only those initial 80 kms that you get some options on NH48 just like how you get Kamats and Pavitra on Tumkur road too.
Old 16th December 2014, 19:33   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
May be yes today only because the CR Patna-Arasikere road is back in shape.
Only because of this reason, I am for this route. In fact in you ask Google, it now shows this as the default route! Of course the CR Patna Arsikere route condition has been endorsed by many and is also I hear quite scenic. (I have not driven on this though).

Quote:
For food, one can always plan and drive as even this route won't have anything between Bellur Cross- CR Patna- Arasikere.
CR Patna would be 150+ from Bangalore. And for a drive of 280+; a distance of 100-150 makes a good case for a break. And from that point, also it helps.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2014, 20:13   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
CR Patna would be 150+ from Bangalore. And for a drive of 280+; a distance of 100-150 makes a good case for a break. And from that point, also it helps.
Everything ceases right at Bellur cross unless your destination is Hassan and beyond. After Bellur cross, till Arasikere you have nothing. This is as good as Tumkur - Arasikere which pretty much hasn't anything.

Regarding googlemaps showing this an an alternate route, in 2008 when we went to pick some logs of wood from Kadur check post also, it suggested the CR Patna option much before 4 lane work had even started .
Old 28th December 2014, 16:14   #251
BHPian

We're back in Bangalore after a glorious few days at the River Tern Lodge.

We took NH4 via Tumkur on the way to JLR on the 24th. After a quick breakfast at the super-crowded Pavitra Idly shop, I ended up inadvertently taking the Tumkur ring road, which was pure hell for about 10 kms. The rest of the road was OK except for spots of traffic.

We started around 11 chose the CR Patna route on the way back since I thought that it had better options for lunch en route near Kunigal. The Arasikere - CR Patna stretch was a deserted delight to drive on. Initially, the road surface was patched well; later it transitioned to pristine with good lane marking.

We lunched at Adiga Grand, a km or so ahead of Swathi since I expected the latter to be packed. The decision played out well - the food was good and we saved ourselves a bunch of bother navigating the teeming hordes.

While the CR Patna route is considerably more expensive in terms of tolls (Rs. 80+), I felt that the difference was well-justified due to the comfort afforded by 4 lanes, the stellar CR Patna - Arasikere stretch and in my case, good food options.
Old 14th November 2016, 14:36   #252
Senior - BHPian

Am planning for a trip between 5th Dec to 11th Dec.
The plan is to drive from Thane on 4th early morning.

The rough itinerary is below:

• 4th Dec(Sun)- Reach Bijapur(550 kms)
• 4th Dec(Sun)—Stay at Bijapur
• 5th Dec(Mon)- Bijapur Site Seeing
• 5th Dec(Mon)- Stay at Bijapur
Hotel Booking at Bijapur: 4th & 5th Dec(2 Nights)

• 6th Dec: Bijapur to Badami(150 kms)
• 6th Dec(Tues): Sigh seeing at Badami
• 6th Dec(Tues) : Stay at Badami
Hotel Booking at Badami: 6th Dec(01 Night)
• 7th Dec(Wed): Badami to Chikmagalur(450 kms)
• 7th Dec(Wed): Stay at Chikmagalur
• 8th Dec(Thurs): Site seeing at Chikmagalur
• 9th Dec(Fri): Site seeing at Chikmagalur
Hotel Booking at Chikmagalur: 7th Dec,8th Dec & 9th Dec(03 Nights)
• 10th Dec: Return to Thane
• 10th Dec: Stay over at Kolhapur(500 Kms from Chikmagalur)
Hotel Booking at Kolhapur-10th Dec(1 night)
• 11th Dec: Reach Thane at 1800 hrs.

I will be travelling with wife and our 4 year old son. Car is Wagon R CNG.
Pls. also suggest is CNG will be available at any of these locations beyond Pune.

As per this itenerary, the route from Chikmagalur return is as below:
Chikmagalur>>Shivamogga>>Hubballi>>Belagavi>>Kolha pur>>Satara>>Pune>>Thane=889 kms.

Alternative route which I was considering:
Chikmagalur>>Murudeshwar>>Panaji>>Ratnagiri>>Chipl un>>Thane=1080 Kms.

Pls. suggest the better of the two routes. Also, how is the road condition if I am to take the second route? What are the toll charges on both the routes.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks