Team-BHP - Is there a comprehensive Travel Guide available?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Is there a comprehensive Travel Guide available? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/33996-there-comprehensive-travel-guide-available.html)

Hi,

Is anyone aware of any book which lists the road connectivity across INDIA. Any book which lists places to visit in a every district in every state and how to get there.

I understamd that If I go to any book stall I will find lots of Maps, and books, but is there any single comprehensive book which I can buy and keep it in my SUV so that I can use when needed right there instead of googling or calling friends to ask what places to visit in that district.

Cheers!!!
Prakash

Please ensure that you are aware of the various sections and subsections of this board before you start posting. This thread does not fit into the Technical Stuff section by any stretch of imagination.

About your query... All I can say is that the Eicher Road Atlas for India is one of the best one you can get that will connect you across the length and breadth of this country. Almost all roads, National Highways and State Highways are covered. Only the internal city roads will not be there.

You probably do not get much info about the cities/districts of the states and the must-see places there. However IMO for that you are probably looking at a Lonely Planet sort of a thing that will give comprehensive info about this and much much more about every place thats worth visiting.

Outlook Traveller books are the best you can get on various places in India.However, they are theme-based (city-centric, hill stations, pilgrimmages, etc) and not one book for all of India. I found them very reliable, imaginative and uptodate, although they may feel inadequate for motorists.

You can buy Outlook travellers, 52 weekend breaks from Bangalore (they have it for other cities too) for the various destinations around bangalore but it doesnt have a detailed route map only an indicatory one, but lots of details ont he places etc. Can be bought from any book store.

The "Road Atlas of India" and "Motoring guide of India" are one comprehensive road/route guide covering each and every nook and corner of the roads and finer details like bridges etc. Can be bought from AAI only.

As I have mentioned several times before, the Eicher Road Atlas of India is the worst map ever produced in India - if anyone wants a listing of the mistakes (part 1 and 2, Part 3 I stopped writing since there are so many mistakes and I ran out of time!), please PM me. I can also share with you teh correspondence that I had with the publsihers, wherein I had suggested that I withdraw the First Edition, but now I find that even the Second Edition (2007) continues to have the same mistakes.

You can try Lonely Planets guide to India.

I have been using one of these for continental U.S.A. and I must say it's pretty comprehensive. Ofcourse, only IMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rev_hard (Post 680919)
You can try Lonely Planets guide to India.

I have been using one of these for continental U.S.A. and I must say it's pretty comprehensive. Ofcourse, only IMHO.

That is the best book to buy. Has almost all the details/food/travel everyhing. Costs about 30 USD (1200 INR):)

The Lonely Planet guides are candid in their approach and generally avoid glorification and hype. And I find the writing more appealing than the Outlook guides.

hv, if we do not use the Eicher RAI then is there any other alternatives available that is as comprehensive?

I have obviously not explored each and every map in that atlas as compared to you. So whatever I needed I got it in that without a hitch. Maybe there are errors elsewhere in other maps which someone like you will be in a better position to tell.

Some of the new publishers like IMS are good. But now Eicher has started State-wise maps which may be better than the Road Atlas - I bought 3 of them (more not available) and I found them quite OK. They are far better tha the old TTK maps.

Even Autocar Magazine has a travel section, for both car & bike.

I saw a travel guide with a colleague of mine a decade ago---it had detailed directions of all highways in India, including level crossings, villages, dak bungalows, etc. Don't remember its name,but he bought it in a bookstore in Cal.
Wish I could lay my hands on one of those.

Here is another vote for Lonely Planet's India as far as what to see and where to stay and where to eat. As for maps......is there a worthwhile CD or DVD one can purchase that has good maps? This and a printer would do the job, would it not?

LP is the guru.

Outlook let's just say makes things sound way better than they are. For interior hills, in north india, have heard bad info about eicher atlas - good for highways otherwise. zimbler source is apna HVKumar. Nothing else, I repeat, nothing else comes close :D

I vote for hvk :p

Thanks Zappo for helping me in moving it to the right forum. I need spend some time in reading the BHP forums which I will do in due course.

Thanks friends for the Advice, i will try to buy the Lonely Planet book.
May be I am expecting too much out of this book But Can I also find information about trekking on this book.

I am excited to drive and trek on scenic roads and mountains :).

Cheers!!
Prakash