Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2008, 18:46   #1
BHPian

First Trip in Scorpio.

Hi,

I am getting Scorpio VLX (the 2.2 litre mHawk) tomorrow . I am planning to go for a very long drive (Bangalore to Bijapur - About 580 Kms) on 11th Jan. It is like just after 2 days after purchase that I will be going for a long drive. Do I need to maintain any specific Speed in the barnd new Scorpio. Typically, If it is a new vehicle what I undersstand is that I should not press more then half the accelerator in any gear. Do we have any such need in Scorpio or does it come with the initial engine run.

Apart from speed, is there anything else I should ensure when driving in a new vehicle.

Cheers!!!
Prakash
Old 8th January 2008, 21:36   #2
rks
BANNED

Please check the Scorpio's manual and follow the instructions given there for running in (max. rpm, speed, etc.). Ideally a long drive is not desirable in a brand new vehicle. But if you must, do not drive for prolonged periods at the same speed and I would say take breaks every 2-3 hours. I will let Scorpio owners fill in the rest.
Old 8th January 2008, 21:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hey man, The road from C'Durga upto Bijapur is worst. The NH4 upto C'durga is good. It starts from C'durga to Hospet and from Hospet to up further north. Did that stretch around a couple of months back. Was flabbergasted to see the pathetic NH13 roads. Yours being a new vehicle, do take care of the same during driving. This is worst road to drive lot of pot holes and undrivable. Do take care.
Old 8th January 2008, 21:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Hey man, The road from C'Durga upto Bijapur is worst. The NH4 upto C'durga is good. It starts from C'durga to Hospet and from Hospet to up further north. Did that stretch around a couple of months back. Was flabbergasted to see the pathetic NH13 roads. Yours being a new vehicle, do take care of the same during driving. This is worst road to drive lot of pot holes and undrivable. Do take care.
Old 8th January 2008, 22:05   #5
BHPian

find out all your doubts related to run-in here
Old 9th January 2008, 00:04   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the link Krishna. A prety useful info about run-in.

The only reason for me buying the scorpio is to tackle the road b/w chitradurga to hospet. I have driven b/w bangalore to bijapur atleast 40 times now in a indica. So am now already prepared for the terrible road. The only time I saw a more terrible road then this strech was the mangalore highway 6 months back.

And now I am pretty excited to test my baby in this stretch. This stretch should tell me how the mHawk as an SUV behaves. But offcourse, I now will not be running at 150, but rather at a conservative speed of 100 on good road .
Old 9th January 2008, 15:28   #7
Senior - BHPian

Take It Easy For 1000 Kms

Hai,

I too took my Scorp crde, when it was under 1000 for a 500 kms trip. You'd have read in the thread all the normal precautions.

Vary the speed, don't keep it on a constant 100 or 80 or whatever, keep the tacho under 2500 rpm max up to 3k, at least till you cross 1000 kks. If you exceed 100 km on good roads tacho would cross 2500 rpm, so you need lots of restraint; its difficult to drive under 100 on a scorp.

The bad roads are actually a boon for you, you cannot speed You'd love the difference in the ride on bad C'durga section.

Please post your experience on the MHwak, also interested to know what's the price and what extra fittings did you put in that?

Buy a tubeless puncture kit and keep it along all the time. I have already had 3 punctures, done about 14600 kms in 4 months. Fortunately 2 of them were at places where the tyre guys had the kit with them. At one palce, last saturday, near Rajkoat I had to show the tyre guy how to put the plug in, he had no kit. Though I had the spare wheel, I used my kit for repairing the punctue. These kits cost under 300 Rs.

Happy Driving,

--Ramky
===============

Last edited by ramkya1 : 9th January 2008 at 15:33.
Old 9th January 2008, 16:40   #8
BHPian

Hi Ramky,

Thanks for the advice on RPM and Puncture Kit.
I took the delivery of the vehicle today. It costed me about 11.18 Lakhs on road in Bangalore. I have not put any extra accessories apart from Scuff plates, Door mats, and Dicky Mats. He offered me Garware Classic Sun film (2000 Rs/- appr) which I did not pot for. I would pay another 3000 and then gor for either for 3MM or VKool. But right now, no accessories. Later, I would go for stenly seat covers and a Bull Bar with either 2 or 4 Hella 4000 rally lamps.

May be another thing that might be missing would be upgarding the music system. Apart from that you just don't need anything I feel.

I will surely post my experience about the long trip.

Cheers!!!
Prakash

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks