Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2008, 15:42   #1
BHPian

Trip to Mahabaleshwar

I'm planning a trip to Mahabaleshwar from Bangalore with my wife in the month of April. Can anyone suggest the shortest possible way to reach Mahabaleshwar and places in and around Mahabaleshwar.
Old 17th January 2008, 16:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Bangalore to Mahabaleshwar is a pleasant drive along NH4 via Tumkur (60 kms), Chitradurga (140 kms) , Davangere-Harihar (60 kms), Haveri (80 kms), Hubli-Dharwad (75 kms), Belgaum (100 kms), Kolhapur (115 kms), Karad (65 kms) and Satara (55 kms). 35 kms after crossing Satara, you come to the Mahabaleswar Phata (good signages), where you turn left - Mahabaleswar is 45 kms from this point.

The drive from Bangalore to Mahabaleswar is posisble the same day if you leave very early in the morning (4 am and thereabouts) and are fast without too many stops. Road is good but for some bad stretches in the Chitradurga-Hubli sector (please see lots of messages on this topic in this Forum). In case you are unable to make it the same day, Belgaum or Kolhapur may be appropriate places to stop.

After turning off NH4, you will have ghat roads for around 20 kms. Road goes via Panchgani to Mahabaleswar.

Mahabaleswar is a small place and places to look around are: Kate's Point, Arthur's Seat, Old Mahabaleswar, Venna Lake and Pratapgarh Fort, besides Panchgani. These places can be easily covered in a couple of days.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:01   #3
BHPian

Adding up, it's about 830 km. To me, it's a bit too long to try and cover in a day. I would miss the fun en route if focused on making it in a day.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:10   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjay_in View Post
Adding up, it's about 830 km. To me, it's a bit too long to try and cover in a day. I would miss the fun en route if focused on making it in a day.
You can still do it in a day adding all the fun enroute....The route is very fast, People easily do Belgaum - Pune in 4 hours...Make sure you start from bangalore at 3AM...

Abhi
Old 18th January 2008, 09:39   #5
Senior - BHPian

JUst got back last night from Mableshwar. But i did mumbai - mableshwar.Awesome roads. Some are tarmac kissing. I was an awesome drive.
Old 18th January 2008, 10:24   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys, thanks a lot for guiding me.
Old 18th January 2008, 14:23   #7
PVS
BHPian

I had been to Mahabaleshwar & Panchgani recently - you might want to look at my travellogue http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ble-lands.html

Arthur's seat along with 7 other view points are good; there are a couple of view points in the opposite direction as well, on the Old Mahableshwar road.
Pratapgad fort seems to be a must - do; I skipped it out.
Panchgani is also good; try to bargain hard at the TableLands with the horse/tonga guys - and be prepared for a bumpy ride across the expansive Table Lands. Pick up some fresh strawberry squash from the Mapro factory between Panchgani & Mahabaleshwar.

There are paragliding facilities at Wai I believe - they charge you about Rs 1000/- for 15 to 20 minutes in the air.

For stay options are aplenty. I stayed at Honey Woods in Old Mahabaleshwar and it seemed good.
Old 18th January 2008, 16:31   #8
BHPian

If you are going Mahabaleshwar for 2-3 days, try to visit Tapola lake. Tapola lake is near to Mahabaleshwar, around 40-45kms. It is called Mini Kashmir. The route from Mahabaleshwar to Tapola is very very beautiful and you will find some beautiful points to view the rivers and mountains.
Old 18th January 2008, 18:46   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PVS View Post
I had been to Mahabaleshwar & Panchgani recently - you might want to look at my travellogue http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ble-lands.html

Arthur's seat along with 7 other view points are good; there are a couple of view points in the opposite direction as well, on the Old Mahableshwar road.
Pratapgad fort seems to be a must - do; I skipped it out.
Panchgani is also good; try to bargain hard at the TableLands with the horse/tonga guys - and be prepared for a bumpy ride across the expansive Table Lands. Pick up some fresh strawberry squash from the Mapro factory between Panchgani & Mahabaleshwar.

There are paragliding facilities at Wai I believe - they charge you about Rs 1000/- for 15 to 20 minutes in the air.

For stay options are aplenty. I stayed at Honey Woods in Old Mahabaleshwar and it seemed good.
Great travellogue PVS. The pricing and other minute details is really helpful. Thanks for the detailed information. I'm planning to drive from Bangalore to Mahabaleshwar after my marriage in the month of april

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks