Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 13:56   #1
BHPian

route info to bhimtal/nainital

Hey guys,

We'd be making a small trip to Nainital/Bhimtal in the next weekend. Plan is to leave Delhi early on Sat and return by Tuesday night.

Few of the queries

1. What would be best route? Our base would be bhimtal as dad has booking in one of the company's holiday home there. Should we take

a. delhi -> m'bad-> ramnagar-> kaladhungi -> kathgodam -> bhimtal
b. delhi -> rampur-> haldwani -> bhimtal

The last time I went on the "b" route, the condition was pathetic. How's the condition now? which route should we prefer?

On sunday we'd be visiting nainital and coming back to bhimtal for night stay. On monday was thinkning to go to ranikhet. Please advice if some other options could be tried.

Well on the return , no matter what we have to come via rampur as we will be visiting some relatives there.

Please advice !!!
Old 18th February 2008, 19:28   #2
BHPian

hey guys !!

waiting for the info
Old 19th February 2008, 00:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
naman : b. delhi -> rampur-> haldwani -> bhimtal
Did this in May 2007, and the route was good. I am not familiar with the other route - may be Delhi TBHP-ians can help you better.
Old 19th February 2008, 00:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

The road near Rampur has been reported to be in a bad condition lately. The better route may be to take the Moradabad-Ramnagar-Kaladhungi-Haldwani route to Bhimtal or directly from Kaladhungi to Nainital. This route is reported to be good.

Leave early from Delhi to beat the messy traffic in UP. After Moradabad, the drive is very pleasant.

While you can go to Ranikhet directly from Bhimtal via Bhowali and Khairna (en route Almora), you also have the choice of returning to Moradabad via Corbett Park and Ramnagar.

I had driven to Bhimtal, Nainital last year and if you wish, you can PM me with your email id so that I can forward you my log books from that trip.
Old 19th February 2008, 01:13   #5
BHPian

Try the first route it is better. I visiteed there last year. Best is Ramnagar-Corbett-Ranikhet and same day you can come back yo Bhaoli and stay in Bhimtal(50 km from Ranikhet). There is not much to see in ranikhet. One temple and golf course. Have lunch in Ranikhet at bus stand very good restaurants there. Bhimtal is cheaper then Nainital to stay. Then you can raom around bhimtal next day and also can cover some parts of naintal on same day. On third day packup and cover rest of places in nainital(Snow view point early in morning arnd 9 u can get good view of himalyas) , then go to Kaladungi>Ramnagar > mbd>delhi. PM me for further details
Old 19th February 2008, 15:32   #6
BHPian

the plan till now !!

thanks a lot for the advice.

So till now I've planned the following

22nd Sat : Leave by 5 from delhi (actually f'bad) via Sarita Vihar and Noida to catch the NH24. Reach ranikhet by lunch via m'bad -> ramnagar -> corbett route. By night return to Bhimtal.

23rd Sun : Visit complete Nainital including the snow peak in the day and naini lake in the eve before returning back to bhimtal.

24th Mon : Day trip to Murdeshwar or Ramarh or both, Suggestions required on this. Are there some other good places as alternatives ?

25th Tue : Start early, b'fast in haldwani at relatives place. Lunch in Rampur again at relatives place and reach Delhi by late eve. Suggetions reqd to avoid the pantnagar -> rampur patch which I heard is quite bad

Last but not the least, we can make it a little less stressful by avoiding ranikhet and reaching bhimtal directly via haldwani upfront. Thus our return will also become less stressful (since we'd already visited relative in haldwani). Please suggest if its really worthwhile visiting ranikhet.
Old 22nd February 2008, 20:13   #7
BHPian

all set

hey ppl,

Thanks a lot for the information. Things are set and we'll be leaving tomorrow morning.

Special thanks to hvkumar for helping out with the route planning and road maps.

Naman
Old 3rd April 2008, 14:45   #8
BHPian

Hey Naman,

Can you share any details and your experience on the roads, route planning, places to stay etc.
Old 19th March 2012, 09:21   #9
BHPian

Re: route info to bhimtal/nainital

plan to go to bhimtal from greater noida. welcome tips on route to be taken and condition of route(s)
Old 19th March 2012, 10:24   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakkher View Post
plan to go to bhimtal from greater noida. welcome tips on route to be taken and condition of route(s)
The best route is via Moradabad-Rampur- Rudrapur- Haldwani- Bhimtal.

Did this route last week. There is a bad stretch of about 2kms just before Rampur, but other than that it is fantastic.

After Haldwani, there will be a diversion from the NH 87 into the NH87E that will take you to Bhimtal. NH87 goes to Nainital. Watch out for the cut. It is just short of the HMT factory in Ranibagh.

My advice will be to leave early, and just check that there is no purnima/amawas etc. on the day. This is to avoid the traffic at Garhganga.

Cheers,
Tapish
Tapish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2012, 14:25   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
The best route is via Moradabad-Rampur- Rudrapur- Haldwani- Bhimtal.

Did this route last week. There is a bad stretch of about 2kms just before Rampur, but other than that it is fantastic.

After Haldwani, there will be a diversion from the NH 87 into the NH87E that will take you to Bhimtal. NH87 goes to Nainital. Watch out for the cut. It is just short of the HMT factory in Ranibagh.

My advice will be to leave early, and just check that there is no purnima/amawas etc. on the day. This is to avoid the traffic at Garhganga.

Cheers,
Tapish
I am planning a trip to mukteshwar, and take this route . I was curious about the flyover on the railway crossing after moradabad. Is it still a bottleneck?

And any clues on the tanda-bazpur route? has it been repaired?
Old 17th September 2012, 16:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur_gupta10 View Post
I am planning a trip to mukteshwar, and take this route . I was curious about the flyover on the railway crossing after moradabad. Is it still a bottleneck?

And any clues on the tanda-bazpur route? has it been repaired?
Hi Ankur,

1. The railway crossing now has a swanky flyover. No more stopping
2. The tanda road is in shambles. Keep to the highway.

Best,
Tapish
Old 6th March 2017, 15:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, Anyone who has been to this route recently please advice hows the road conditions? Planning on going to Bhimtal this coming weekend.

Also since this weekend (11th) being a result day for elections in UP, would it be an issue traveling on this route? Planning to leave around 4am (11th) so that we could cross moradabad as early as possible due to the results scene.
Old 6th March 2017, 16:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Hey guys, Anyone who has been to this route recently please advice hows the road conditions? Planning on going to Bhimtal this coming weekend.

Also since this weekend (11th) being a result day for elections in UP, would it be an issue traveling on this route? Planning to leave around 4am (11th) so that we could cross moradabad as early as possible due to the results scene.
For Bhimtal, I'd suggest the Haldwani route. Although the roads aren't as good as Rampur - Suar - Nainital route but Bhimtal being on the other side of Nainital, Haldwani route will be much shorter.

I expect political rallies and show of strength hooliganism on highways but starting early can avoid that.
Old 6th March 2017, 17:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
For Bhimtal, I'd suggest the Haldwani route. Although the roads aren't as good as Rampur - Suar - Nainital route but Bhimtal being on the other side of Nainital, Haldwani route will be much shorter.

I expect political rallies and show of strength hooliganism on highways but starting early can avoid that.
Thanks. Was planning to take Haldwani route only. Do you know any place for stopover with decent place to eat after Moradabad? I know theres Gajraula but since before Moradabad hence would like to cross UP and then stop somewhere. Any recommendations?

Also i guess starting from South Delhi (saket) at 4am would let me cross Moradabad before these rallies start right?

Most Viewed