Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2016, 20:52   #46
BHPian

Re: Help for Ajanta Ellora Trip

Hi Varun,

I couldnt make it. My trip ended in a disaster. You carry on mate. Enjoy and have a safe trip!!
Old 11th February 2016, 14:28   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Be aware that roads are pathetic around that region. I dont see any hope they would have improved. Especially Vaijapur-Verul.

With Ajanta, do you also want to visit Lonar?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lonar
Checked with a colleague working in Aurangabad and his feedback is that the roads are not great but have improved to a large extent so he has advised to come over. (Good to be working in a bank with branches all over )

I plan to take the plunge, though, I would be very very careful given all the feedback here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Would not advise Lonar on the same day as Ajanta, with Aurangabad as base.

Sorry to be a little pessimistic, overall I think this will be a very hectic journey

I would want to spend at least 3-4 hours each in Ajanta and Ellora and also quick visits to Bibi ka maqbara and Daulatabad.
Lonar - Not on the cards right now. Seems extremely hectic already.

Plan
4:00am - Start from Mumbai
1pm : Reach Ajanta Caves
4Pm : Leave from Ajanta Caves
6 pm : Check in at Ajanta caves

Sunday - Elora and then back to Aurangabad for the local visits.
3 pm: Return from Aurangabad

I am still contemplating Lonar, but this already seems extremely hectic to say the least

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunmichael View Post
I couldnt make it. My trip ended in a disaster.
Hope all is well Arun !!
Old 11th February 2016, 16:32   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunraizada View Post
Plan
4:00am - Start from Mumbai
1pm : Reach Ajanta Caves
4Pm : Leave from Ajanta Caves
6 pm : Check in at Ajanta caves

Sunday - Elora and then back to Aurangabad for the local visits.
3 pm: Return from Aurangabad

I am still contemplating Lonar, but this already seems extremely hectic to say the least
All the best! You have a packed schedule. I think Lonar is out of question. Would be interested to hear your feedback on return.

Since you are going directly to Ajanta from Mumbai, have you considered the route via Malegaon? Don't know the road condition between Malegaon and Aurangabad, but if it's not bad then my guess is that it will be a shorter journey as compared to Vaijapur route.
reverse_gear is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 09:48   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
Would be interested to hear your feedback on return.

Since you are going directly to Ajanta from Mumbai, have you considered the route via Malegaon?
Finished the trip and have detailed the route and the 2 days here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ta-ellora.html
Old 16th March 2016, 20:41   #50
BHPian

I would appreciate views about the road conditions from among the three options that Google Maps have thrown as shown in the image. Which route would you recommend for traveling from Gujarat to Ellora caves?
Attached Thumbnails
Help for Ajanta Ellora Trip-route-options.jpg  

Old 30th August 2016, 14:21   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
No need to go all the way to Pune. You could get off the Expressway at the second toll gate and go via Talegaon Dabhade, Chakan to Shikrapur to join the Nagar road there.

Local road conditions ex-Aurangabad are good.
Dear Sir,

I will be travelling to Aurangabad on the morning of the 3rd September with the intention of visiting Ajanta (on 4th) and Ellora Caves (on 5th). The return will be on 5th, after visiting the Ellora Caves. Will try to cover Daulatabad fort and bibi ka maqbara on the 3rd afternoon and evening. Is it possible to cover Lonar lake after completing a trip to Ajanta caves on 4th? I have the whole day at hand.

I am starting from Kandivali in Mumbai, and will try to leave by 5.30 AM. Which route would be more advisable? The one via Nashik- Niphad - Yeola - Vaijapur - Aurangabad, or should I stick to the Chakan - Ahmednagar - Aurangabad route?

Since my return leg would have significant amount of night driving, which route would be more preferable in terms of overall safety?

Thanks in advance,
Avishek
Old 31st August 2016, 11:33   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviat18 View Post
Is it possible to cover Lonar lake after completing a trip to Ajanta caves on 4th? I have the whole day at hand.
Lonar and Ajanta in one day would be too hectic majorly due to condition of roads between the two. Your average speed would be maximum 40-50 kms. Also, there is a lot of walking and waiting involved in Ajanta especially on a weekend due to ban on private cars near the caves so you will need to hop on Govt appointed bus and then one needs to climb a lot of stairs to visit all the caves.

This takes more time than one can imagine.
Old 31st August 2016, 12:41   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Lonar and Ajanta in one day would be too hectic majorly due to condition of roads between the two. Your average speed would be maximum 40-50 kms. Also, there is a lot of walking and waiting involved in Ajanta especially on a weekend due to ban on private cars near the caves so you will need to hop on Govt appointed bus and then one needs to climb a lot of stairs to visit all the caves.

This takes more time than one can imagine.
I agree with this and if the road conditions are similar to what I went through a couple of years ago, I would recommend that you park your vehicle at your hotel in Aurangabad and hire a local vehicle to take you to Ajanta and back. It'll be quicker, as the locals know the roads better than us, and you'll avoid certain damage to your own car, either immediate or long-term. Similarly for Lonar, as I described earlier in this thread.
Daulatabad and Ellora can be done in your own car, in one day.
Cheers.
Old 31st August 2016, 22:05   #54
BHPian

Ajanta is best seen in the morning as the caves are east facing. Similarly, Ellora are best seen in the evening (west-facing). Ellora caves are beautiful in the evening light. Lonar is seen best in the early morning - to avoid the sun while walking and to increase the probability of seeing birds.
Ajanta - Aurangabad - Lonar are in a triangle with around 3 hrs on each side. Even a fast trip to Ajanta would take you until noon (caves open at 9 am). So, it is just not practical to combine it with Lonar.
There is an arch just before Ellora where people have been judiciously getting traffic-jammed in the same manner for years together. So be prepared for a jam there.
rajarams is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 22:48   #55
BHPian

Thanks for all the pointers. Any guidance on the route would be much appreciated as well
Old 6th September 2016, 12:03   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
I agree with this and if the road conditions are similar to what I went through a couple of years ago, I would recommend that you park your vehicle at your hotel in Aurangabad and hire a local vehicle to take you to Ajanta and back.
Got pointers from another thread that Aurangabad-Ajanta route was safe to take one's vehicle. Infact, the route had some of the best stretches that I encountered on the entire trip. The roads appeared freshly laid, so good to go at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
Lonar and Ajanta in one day would be too hectic majorly due to condition of roads between the two.
Had to chuck Lonar out of the itenary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajarams View Post
Ajanta - Aurangabad - Lonar are in a triangle with around 3 hrs on each side. Even a fast trip to Ajanta would take you until noon (caves open at 9 am). So, it is just not practical to combine it with Lonar.
There is an arch just before Ellora where people have been judiciously getting traffic-jammed in the same manner for years together. So be prepared for a jam there.
Exactly! Was back from Ajanta only by 3 PM. Since both of us (wife and I) were fasting, it was impossible to start for Lonar in any case.

Visited Ellora on the morning of 6th. Fortunately for us the arch was completely free on both occasions (probably due to the Ganpati). Even the Ellora caves weren't very populated compared to Ajanta.

Thanks for all the pointers
Avishek
aviat18 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2018, 14:33   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Did Bangalore - Nanded - Aurangabad - Ellora - Ajanta - Pune - Bangalore last week.

Will put across full details in a travelogue and also details in other route thread. However, details in short -

Hyderabad - Nizamabad: Good roads
Nizamabad - MH border : Bumpy roads, patchy roads, no roads and crazy bikers
MH border - Nanded: Good roads with unmarked speed humps in-between.

Nanded - Lonar : Moderate roads, some sections are bumpy.
Lonar - Aurangabad : Good roads

Aurangabad - Ellora: Beautiful road

Aurangabad - Ajanta: Beautiful road, widening work ongoing.

Aurangabad - Pune: Good road, traffic as you reach Pune.

Try getting all your tickets online from ASI site. This will help in avoiding crowd at ticket counter.
MTDC restaurants at both Ellora & Ajanta was good for lunch.
Aurangabad has 7apples hotel, which is a good option if on a budget.
For local Aurangabad sightseeing, I took Ola.

Last edited by mpksuhas : 19th March 2018 at 15:02.
mpksuhas is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2019, 23:47   #58
BHPian

Weekend trip from Pune to Ajanta/Ellora

Hi guys, I'm planning to make a weekend drive to Ajanta and Ellora caves for just a weekend and would like some suggestions:
  • Can this be done on a weekend? Like start early morning on Saturday and return Sunday evening?
  • What is the optimum or best route to take? Pune - Ahmednagar - Aurangabad is the suggested route on Google. Is this the generally preferred route?
  • Is Bibi Ka Maqbara worth spending some time over? Any suggestions on what else can/should be covered?
  • Is it better to cover Ellora on the first day and relax at hotel in Aurangabad or can we front load most of the travel and finish up with Ajanta and make a bit of the way back towards Ellora and then halt overnight along the way?
  • On the topic of staying over, are there any decent hotels between Ajanta and Aurangabad, should we decide to front load our drive?

It will be just the two of us doing this trip and both of us can drive so we can possibly alternate driving if it gets too stressful.

I'm sure there may be things I'm missing - so kindly suggest on whatever else I may need to consider.
Old 8th April 2019, 12:23   #59
BANNED

Re: Weekend trip from Pune to Ajanta/Ellora

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Hi guys, I'm planning to make a weekend drive to Ajanta and Ellora caves for just a weekend and would like some suggestions:
Can this be done on a weekend? Like start early morning on Saturday and return Sunday evening?

Yes, can be done, though would be a bit stretch.

What is the optimum or best route to take? Pune - Ahmednagar - Aurangabad is the suggested route on Google. Is this the generally preferred route?

Yes, it is a 4 lane highway. Overall road condition is good.

Is Bibi Ka Maqbara worth spending some time over? Any suggestions on what else can/should be covered?

If you have been to Taj Mahal, you can skip it. If you prefer to visit religious places, Bhadra Maruti temple and Grishneswar Jyotirling will be on Ellora cave road along with Dawlatabaad fort. Panchakki is on the heart of the city.

Is it better to cover Ellora on the first day and relax at hotel in Aurangabad or can we front load most of the travel and finish up with Ajanta and make a bit of the way back towards Ellora and then halt overnight along the way?

Aurangabad to Ajanta is 100km and would take flat 2 hours one way. Ajanta itself would take from 2 to 3 hour depending on how much you want to cover. Ellora is 35 km diversion from Pune - Aurangabad road, but has a lot of other places of interest near by.

So, I would suggest to keep Ajanta and Ellora on 2 different days. You can drive on till Ajanta and come back and stay over in the city. The next day, you can cover up Ellora side along with the temples before heading back to Pune. Otherwise, try and cover up Ellora along with the temples and Biwi ka Maqbara etc on day 1, while day 2 can be kept for Ajanta and back.

On the topic of staying over, are there any decent hotels between Ajanta and Aurangabad, should we decide to front load our drive?

There is a MTDC place in Ajanta. Aurangabad has decent choices of hotels. I would suggest to stay at Aurangabad.
PetrolRider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 11:44   #60
BHPian

Re: Weekend trip from Pune to Ajanta/Ellora

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post

I'm sure there may be things I'm missing - so kindly suggest on whatever else I may need to consider.
Avoid it during summer. It gets really hot and with that huge rocky mountain, one really feels the heat that much more.

Best time to visit is of course after monsoon but one can visit it at the start of monsoon as well. There are waterfalls at both Ajanta and Ellora which add to the experience.

However, if you have to do this trip now, then weekend is enough. Road condition post Aurangabad has gone bad recently but that's just 70-80kms which should be okay.

On the topic of staying over, are there any decent hotels between Ajanta and Aurangabad, should we decide to front load our drive?

Stay in Aurangabad as there are lot of options to chose from right from 5 star to budget ones. And you can do Ajanta and Ellora on two different days and in that order.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed