Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:05   #1
BHPian

Calcutta to Asansol Road Trip - Last minute tips..

Yup this is my first trip on the highway with my own car (ALTO)...will be leaving for Asansol tomorrow morning around which is approximately 230kms from Calcutta. Will be accompanied by a friend for the trip. Apart from the normal luggage is there anything else that I might be looking at. I have all the car documents + PUC + basic took kit provided by Maruti with me so will be carrying them all in originals. Will be filling the whole tank(with Power) tomorrow before start of journery. Planning to take the 2nd Hoogly bridge then take Durgapur Expressway via Kona Expressway.

Any kind of suggestions are welcome...just keep them coming...
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:34   #2
Senior - BHPian

Keep cold tyre pressure 2psi more (32-33 types)

You will easily do this trip in 3 hours. In Dec2006, I did Kol - Siuri in 2.5 hours (230 odd kms) in my Alto nonstop.

Good luck, Have some nice mihidana, langchaas in Shaktigarh...
You can also stop in Darjeeling More for some breakfast / snacks

Abhi
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:46   #3
Senior - BHPian

# If you want to save time AND avail of good roads, take the belghoria expressway to NH-2. Drive up to Airport, take right at Jessore road crossing. A couple of kms in the direction of Madhyamgram, you'll see flyovers on Jessore road. The expressway is the left turn just before flyovers. It takes you straight to the new bridge adjacent to Bally Bridge. When you cross the bridge and the toll gate (Rs. 25) you land up on NH-2.

# If nature calls - some of the petrol stations on the left (when going to Asansol) have basic facilities. Carry a toilet paper roll.

# Stop for a 'lyangcha' meal just before Shaktigarh. Can't miss the shops.

# Watch out for the odd vehicle/tractor/cycles coming down the wrong side. More so, near Bardhaman

# Kolkata - Panagarh stretch is better. Traffic will increase Panagarh onwards. Since intra-town traffic uses the highway (pubic buses, trucks, 2-wheelers etc)

# Asansol has a couple of entry points/left turns. Keep a lookout. The first time I missed the exit, since the signboard was broken.

# Since it's your first trip. Take breaks from time to time, although the trip duration won't be long.

# Check tyre pressure. Add a couple of more psi's than normal

# Charge your cellphone. Keep some emergency numbers handy

# Call me anytime during the trip if you have any doubts.
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

# Toll. There are 2 toll booths. Dankuni and Palsit (IIRC). Rs. 35 one way at each. If you are returning within 24hrs then you could buy a return ticket (at both booths) for Rs. 50 each. If you take Belghoria expressway then you have the 3rd toll booth as mentioned in the earlier post.

# When returning from Asansol, a little after crossing Dankuni you'll see a Y-fork. 2 Boards. 'To Kharagpur' leads to the Kona Expressway/2nd Hoogly bridge. 'To Kolkata' leads to Belghoria Expressway.

# If you take the 'To Kolkata' option, after crossing the new bridge there'll be another Y. One towards Dunlop, another towards Dum Dum. Take Dum Dum to hit Airport/Jessore Road.
Old 22nd February 2008, 14:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

shuvc da, that was simply excellent explanation !!

Abhi
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

# Oh. While going, watch out for the Tata Nano factory on your left at Singur.

# The 2+2 highway with divider ends just before Panagarh town and restarts after crossing it. Mentioning this, since I had doubts whether I was on the right track when the highway merged into a normal road. Basically just drive on straight all through. No detours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
shuvc da, that was simply excellent explanation !!
Abhi
Abar dada?? Man you make me feel sooo old.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:29   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
# If you want to save time AND avail of good roads, take the belghoria expressway to NH-2. Drive up to Airport, take right at Jessore road crossing. A couple of kms in the direction of Madhyamgram, you'll see flyovers on Jessore road. The expressway is the left turn just before flyovers. It takes you straight to the new bridge adjacent to Bally Bridge. When you cross the bridge and the toll gate (Rs. 25) you land up on NH-2.
take a look at the first few parts of the video:

i guess that will be help full - enjoy the drive and drive safe - dont fall asleep while driving.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:30   #8
BHPian

@ shuvc: Couldnt ask for anymore suggestions...that's the most comprehensive list of to do things for the trip I could have...will take a printout of this page and quickly put it into my pocket..will call you incase of doubts but hope that such situations dont arise.

@ akroy & Planet: thanks guys for the suggestions...will ensure that tyre pressure is a little more than normal and oh yeah wont miss out the langchas at Shaktigar...

I have earlier made several trips on my bike till Burdwan over the Durgapur Expressway but this is my first time with my car..I was wondering what should be an average speed to maintain over the stretch in an ALTO and should I fill up the fuel tank completely.
Another question is that whether I should get hold of a longer rod for the jack instead of the one provided by Maruti?

Last edited by sabret00the : 22nd February 2008 at 15:38.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:52   #9
Senior - BHPian

TankFull and Speed are mutually exclusive events...

I always do TankFull to TankFull (AutoCut to AutoCut), I suggest you to do the same as well whether on highways or inside city...And always fill 7-8ltrs already there in tank (My refills are generally 23-28litres, My Alto has 35lit tank)

Now coming to speed, you can easily do 120-130kmph till barddhaman and even more till Panagarh. Although I was not testing speed but I was easily doing 130kmph (on stock tyres) on NH2

And please dont think of rods (long or short) etc for such a small distance dash...
Just fill-the-tank, check tyre-pressure, keep printout of shuvc, take your belongings and GO...
Make sure you always keep some drinking water for yourself.

Enjoy
Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 22nd February 2008 at 15:55.
Old 22nd February 2008, 15:55   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
TankFull and Speed are mutually exclusive events...

I always do TankFull to TankFull (AutoCut to AutoCut), I suggest you to do the same as well whether on highways or inside city...And always fill 7-8ltrs already there in tank (My refills are generally 23-28litres, My Alto has 35lit tank)

Now coming to speed, you can easily do 120-130kmph till barddhaman and even more till Panagarh. Although I was not testing speed but I was easily doing 130kmph (on stock tyres) on NH2

Abhi
thanks for this info friend although I'am not planning to go upto as much as 120-130 but will try to hover at 90-110...
Old 22nd February 2008, 16:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

With all due respect, for a 230km trip, the alto tagline is enough
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:13   #12
Senior - BHPian

Have a nice drive Bobby. Drive carefully and don't cross the car's limits. Am NOT preaching. This is your first highway trip, thats why.
And yes, take some good tunes with you!
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvd View Post
Have a nice drive Bobby. Drive carefully and don't cross the car's limits. Am NOT preaching. This is your first highway trip, thats why.
And yes, take some good tunes with you!
Roger that boss...point taken
Old 22nd February 2008, 18:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
Yup this is my first trip on the highway with my own car (ALTO)...will be leaving for Asansol tomorrow morning around which is approximately 230kms from Calcutta. Will be accompanied by a friend for the trip. Apart from the normal luggage is there anything else that I might be looking at. I have all the car documents + PUC + basic took kit provided by Maruti with me so will be carrying them all in originals. Will be filling the whole tank(with Power) tomorrow before start of journery. Planning to take the 2nd Hoogly bridge then take Durgapur Expressway via Kona Expressway.

Any kind of suggestions are welcome...just keep them coming...
carry Cash
very petrol Pumps accept Cards.
from kolkata to durgapur all most every Pump take Cash only

From Kolkata to Panagarh - road is excellent
Panagarh - lane merges for 4kms(approx)
Again the roads improve

From Durgapur to Asansol the road is not as good as the section before it.
But in a Car u wont feel the difference.
Old 23rd February 2008, 01:37   #15
BHPian

^^^ thanks for the call dude...and thanks for the valuable suggestions...

-----

Last minute change of plans - will be leaving Sunday early morning..

Most Viewed