Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2008, 06:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channu1978 View Post
Hi, I'm new to teambhp, Planned to visit chennai - tiruchy - maduarai during this weekend, could any one help me out with best route and ur suggestions on good route.
I suggest you stick to the NH45 upto Trichy. Expect some delays at Trichy because the Cauvery bridge on the byepass has been closed for 4 laning hence there might be some traffic jams. From Trichy you can take the Viralimalai route to Madurai you would have a decent two lane road all the way. The NH upto Trichy is being 4 laned so you might have some diversions but nothing to worry about. Cheers
Old 25th December 2008, 09:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

Need to reach Munnar from Chennai in 1 day. Which route is better - Chennai - CBE - Munnar or Chennai - Madurai - Munnar?

I'm only familiar with the Coimbatore route, but am told that the Madurai route is shorter. We will be driving MM540s.

ANy suggestions

Cheers
Old 25th December 2008, 09:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Vikram the easiest route would be through Trichy dindigul the other one is certainly longer
Old 25th December 2008, 09:59   #19
Senior - BHPian

Incidentally you dont need to go to Madurai to go to Munnar

Mods: Since am posting through opera mini am not able to edit my post hence another post
Old 25th December 2008, 13:26   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
Vikram the easiest route would be through Trichy dindigul the other one is certainly longer
I am aware upto Trichy Dindugal..but after that I am foxed. Can you suggest? the rest upto Munnar.

In 92/93 I had done a trip to Munnar from Bangalore, Coimbatore, Munnar, Thekkady, then some place, nammakkal, etcx..

need to clarify the route since its been a decade and things have changed!
Old 25th December 2008, 14:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

From Dindigul you have to go via Vattalagundu Periakulam and Theni stick to NH49 thats the road to Munnar via Devikulam
Old 25th December 2008, 14:29   #22

Thanks a ton Srikanth for the quick response.
Old 25th December 2008, 14:32   #23
Senior - BHPian

srikanth, thanks, what the distance like? Also as we are travelling in Jeeps, any decent place to stay for the night? Or do you think we could reach Munnar by night if we leave say 4:00 am?
Old 25th December 2008, 14:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

If you leave by four you should be able to reach Munnar by evening / late evening comfortably
Old 31st January 2009, 17:19   #25
BHPian

Any recent updates on Madurai Trichy road. How much of the a four-laning work is completed so far and what is the approximate traveling time? Im planing to take this road next saturday.
Old 4th February 2009, 10:52   #26
BHPian

I went on the Chennai Trichi route recently (2 months back). The entire section was a work in progress - probably one of the most elaborate and comprehensive road works project I have seen in a long time. In bits and pieces the roads were EXCELLENT, I hit 170 on a stretch. But for the most part, there are diversions and road works and you have to be careful.
Old 9th February 2009, 23:32   #27
BHPian

Did a trip starting ramnad to chidambaram via madurai, trichy, lalgudi, jeyangondam and on the return via sirkali, mayiladuthurai, kumbakonam, thanjavur, pudukottai and karaikudi.

Madurai trichy road, only around 15-20% is open in both ways and remaining 30% on one way of the highways. Took two & half hrs for me.
Old 10th February 2009, 10:18   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harshavarthan View Post
Did a trip starting ramnad to chidambaram via madurai, trichy, lalgudi, jeyangondam and on the return via sirkali, mayiladuthurai, kumbakonam, thanjavur, pudukottai and karaikudi.

Madurai trichy road, only around 15-20% is open in both ways and remaining 30% on one way of the highways. Took two & half hrs for me.
Harsha, any reason why you did not take teh direct coastal route via Tondi, Pattukottai, Nagore and Karaikal to Chidambaram? How is that road condition nowadays? Read that the Karaikudi-Devakottai road is also superb nowadays. Since you are in Ramnad, any idea of progress in the ECR south of Ramanathapuram via Kizhakarai, Vembar to Tuticorin? Thanks
Old 10th February 2009, 13:30   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
I suggest you stick to the NH45 upto Trichy. Expect some delays at Trichy because the Cauvery bridge on the byepass has been closed for 4 laning hence there might be some traffic jams.
Saw an ad in Sunday's newspaper that the new bridge over the Cauvery on Trichy bypass is open now.
Old 10th February 2009, 22:52   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Harsha, any reason why you did not take teh direct coastal route via Tondi, Pattukottai, Nagore and Karaikal to Chidambaram? How is that road condition nowadays? Read that the Karaikudi-Devakottai road is also superb nowadays. Since you are in Ramnad, any idea of progress in the ECR south of Ramanathapuram via Kizhakarai, Vembar to Tuticorin? Thanks

Ramanathapuram to Devipattinam is awesome. 13 kms will take maximum 10 minutes. Beyond that i heard the road work is completed till Muthupettai and that too i am not very sure. I din choose this road because it was late hrs and i din wish to take risk.

About the roads between Sirkali, Thanrangambadi and Karaikal, work has not even started for ECR.

South of Ramanathapuram i do not have any idea about the completion of ECR. But a friend of mine tried this route from Thoothukkudi to my place in December and he said the roads were horrible. On the way back he took Parthibanur, Aruppukkottai, Virudhunagar route.

And yes, Karaikudi - Devakottai road is very good. Even karaikudi - Pudikkottai road is good except initial 10-12 kms which is bad.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks