Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2008, 15:31   #1
BHPian

Cochin to Coorg (Kodagu) : Route Queries

Hi Everybody,

I am planning a trip to Coorg this month or next. Can anybody help me with the route? Also I would like to know whether the climate would be good now and which are the good hotels to stay.

Thanks in advance.
Sudheer
Old 4th April 2008, 15:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Option 1:
Cochin-Trissur-Palakkad-Coimbatore-Satyamangalam-Chamarajnagar-Nanjangud-Mysore-Hunsur-Kushalnagar-Madikeri

Option 2:
Cochin-Kodungallur-Calicut-Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Kutta-Virajpet-Madikeri

Second route is shortest and most direct.
Old 4th April 2008, 16:07   #3
BHPian

@hvkumar

i dont know the places that you have mentioned between calicut and madikeri .. but on average what would be the distance to be covered on whole? and how long do you think it would take? and are you aware of the present road conditions in the said region?!
Old 4th April 2008, 20:38   #4
BANNED

Ashvin, IIRC, your questions are answered in the "Present condition of Roads to Kerala" thread.
Old 4th April 2008, 20:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

""
  • Closest Airport: Bangalore (260 km), Mangalore (135 km)
  • Closest Railway Station: Mysore (146 km)
  • Road: The Mysore - Mangalore highway (NH48) passes through Kodagu. The district headquarters Madikeri (Mercara), is 260 km from Bangalore and 120 km from Mysore. The distance from Mangalore is 136 km and from Cannanore and Tellicherry, it is about 115 km. There are regular buses plying from these places to Madikeri.
Best Time To Visit: April to November

Coorg, The Scotland of India | Madikeri

PM speedzak.
Old 4th April 2008, 21:20   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H V I N View Post
@hvkumar

i dont know the places that you have mentioned between calicut and madikeri .. but on average what would be the distance to be covered on whole? and how long do you think it would take? and are you aware of the present road conditions in the said region?!
Calicut - Kalpetta - Mananthavady road is in very good condition. Mananthavady to Kutta is through the forest (if you know the route to Thirunelli its the same, just take RIGHT at the only fork inside the forest to reach Kutta).

From Kutta onwards the road is usually in dilapidated condition. Roads in this part of Karnataka are (sadly) neglected as a rule so dont expect any surprises. Kutta onwards to the nearest town is usually in cratered condition, thankfully it isnt much of a distance.

I'd recommend this route over the CBE-Sathy-Chamrajpet-Mysore road - that route is quite nice but can get tedious after a while. You start wondering when Nanjangud would turn up.

If you're REALLY adventurous you'd try the Kannur-Virajpet route via Iritty. Not for the faint-hearted, I believe.
Old 4th April 2008, 21:21   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A S H V I N View Post
@hvkumar

Hi Ashvin,
The distance between Calicut and Madikeri will be around 250 kms. We went to Coorg last week and it took around 7 hours in a tempo traveller.
The road condition from Calicut to Mananthavadi is good. From there to Kutta, Kattikkulam etc are average. Expect pot-holes in between. We took the route to Siddapur and the distance between mananthavadi and siddapur was around 125 kms.
Hope this helps

Vivek
Old 4th April 2008, 22:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Cochin-Kodungallur 30 kms-Chavakkad 47-Kuttipuram 45-Calicut 72-Kalpetta 76-Mananthavady 22-Kartikulam 6-Kutta 24-Ponnampet 32-Virajpet 17-Madikeri 44,
totalling 421 kms.

The road to Kalpetta is a ghat road. From Manantyhavady, it is a WLS road which is best avoided after dark (besides, there are check posts that have time restrictions). In case you are going to any place in Kodagu other than Madikeri, you would turn off at Gonikoppal or Virajpet instead of going on to Madikeri.
Old 5th April 2008, 15:01   #9
BHPian

hey thanks for the info guys. i have done a coimbatore-mysore-coorg trip last Jan. from Cochin the route through calicut is definitely a better option.
Old 7th April 2008, 00:14   #10
BHPian

Last week i came throgh Gonikoppal to Kutta in a Tempo Traveller. The roads are OK from Kutta to Gonikoppal, Virajpet and Madikeri.
As said by hvkumar, entry into WLS is closed between 6 PM to 6 AM.
Old 7th April 2008, 15:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Well JK the best time to visit coorg would include december and january as its quite cold and so it suits lotsa people. I wouldnt suggest visits during may as its the peak summer and would be a bit hot and also the nagarhole wls would usually close during this season.
Old 27th April 2017, 22:59   #12
BHPian

re: Cochin to Coorg (Kodagu) : Route Queries

For Virajpet - Calicut, which route is better? Better surface? Less hilly?
Iritty route or Kutta route?
Old 30th April 2017, 10:45   #13
BHPian

Re: Cochin to Coorg (Kodagu) : Route Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
For Virajpet - Calicut, which route is better? Better surface? Less hilly?
Iritty route or Kutta route?
Calicut bypass upto Thalassery is a coastal road 2 lane with heavy traffic, goes through picturesque but narrow-street Mahe. The traffic congestion continues through upto and beyond Iritti and only abates once you cross into the forested part of the road beyond the Kerala border.
I haven't done the Kutta route recently but it should be equally congested during peak hours.
gkrishk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2019, 23:32   #14
BHPian

Any updates on the current road conditions and the best route from Kochi to Coorg? I guess from Calicut the best route continues to be "Calicut-Thamaraserry-Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Kutta-Virajpet-Madikeri" ?

Google maps in fact shows the "Calicut-Koyilandy-Vatakara-Mahe-Matannor-Iritty-Virajpet-Madikeri" option..

Tentatively plan to travel by second week of September. Any recommendations of the best route based on recent experience greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kris_risk : 7th August 2019 at 23:33. Reason: spelling; fixes
Old 8th August 2019, 07:51   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris_risk View Post
Any updates on the current road conditions and the best route from Kochi to Coorg? I guess from Calicut the best route continues to be "Calicut-Thamaraserry-Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Kutta-Virajpet-Madikeri" ?

Google maps in fact shows the "Calicut-Koyilandy-Vatakara-Mahe-Matannor-Iritty-Virajpet-Madikeri" option..
I think the Iritty-Mattannur-Virajapet would be a far more active route compared to Kelpetta-Kutta which is also not a good option for evening/late nigh drives.

But would others comment on the status latest status.
You can get the latest in Mattannur-Iritty-Virajper on Bangalore-Calicut thread, which is much more active.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route...ueries-67.html (Bangalore - Calicut : Route Queries)

Most Viewed