Team-BHP - Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   Bangalore - Kodaikanal - Munnar : Route Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/38117-bangalore-kodaikanal-munnar-route-queries-3.html)

We are planning a trip of 10 days trip on above route. Mahindra Scorpio is the vehicle.Kindly inform about the present status of route HVkumar has mentioned.Considering the onset of Monsoon is this trip doable on the route mentioned, as we have a kid of 4 yrs n family with us?What are the decent places to halt if need arises?Thanks for reply.

Expect heavy rains in Munnar region but the roads hold up well. Be careful about the fog, especially on the Munnar-Devikulam-Poopara road. Most of the sightseeing points like Mattupetty and Kundale will be soggy, but Munnar in rains is quite an experience.

Drive from Bangalore should be OK despite the rains - not much rains in TN region. But for the Bangalore-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri roads, whose conditions have been discussed in detail, no other road problems.

Munnar to Madurai is via Devikulam, Poopara, Bodi Medu, Bodinaikanur, Theni, Andipatti. No need to enter Madurai city, you can go on the Thirumangalam road and connect to the Rameswaram road, which is the same NH49 which you travel from Munnar o Madurai. Road from Madurai to Rameswaram is great, no problem with rains.

From Bangalore to Munnar, beyond Dharamapuri, places with hotels are Mettur, Bhavani, Erode (detour), Dharapuram, Udumalaipet. From Munnar to Rameswaram, hotels at Theni, Madurai.

I presume you will return to Bangalore on NH7. Hotels at Dindigul, Karur, Namakkal, Salem.

For accommodation at Udumalpet you can try Hotel Anamala-04252226764

Thanks HVk And Jack33.Ur encouraging words have added fuel in desire to go for the tour.I will write details after the trip.I love rains.

Hi Anil - Just wondering if your trip materialized? Can you share details on the route taken and acco details on Kodai?
Quote:

Originally Posted by anilrs (Post 844725)
Thanks to all for supporting. I've decide to take the Palani - Kodai route. I'll update you with travelogue soon after the trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 789774)
Bangalore-Dharmapuri 150 kms-Toppur 26 (turn off NH7, right)-Mettur 35-Bhavani 47 (Join NH47, turn right towards Coimbatore)-Perunthurai 25 (turn off NH47, straight, right goes to Coimbatore, left to Erode)-Chennimalai 12-Gangeyam 21 (join Coimbatore-Trichy road, bisect and take Dharapuram road)-Dharapuram 36 (bypass town,go straight, left goes to Udumalaipet)-Palani 38-Kodai 65,
totalling to 455 kms

so says "unGreat one"!!!

Hi,
I have planned to go for my family gettogether at Kodaikanal.I am planning to start at 4:00pm on 11th and planning to take the above route.My wify wants a break in between and to start again on 12th morning.But,I wanna go non stop.Need inputs regarding the present condition of the roads and the travelling time.Which is the best place to stay if needed only.We are planning to start back on 13th afternoon at 1:00pm back to bangalore.

OR is the road allthe way via salem-karur-dindugal-kodairoad-kodai is better.

For safety reasons,I may be taking my Driver too if needed on hearing from TBHP members.

need advise.......

MY Car - Tata safari 2.2 VTT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bglsrini (Post 894940)
...For safety reasons,I may be taking my Driver too if needed on hearing from TBHP members...

455kms (approx.) is certainly not a distance that will cause too much of a fatigue when going in your 'BULL', but if you have am option, for a driver, it is better to take him along. Especially since this involves some ghat section drive. This might induce more fatigue than usual.

Better to take the driver. At least you will get to enjoy the scenery to the max.

Have a safe trip, Srini! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 895025)
455kms (approx.) is certainly not a distance that will cause too much of a fatigue when going in your 'BULL', but if you have am option, for a driver, it is better to take him along. Especially since this involves some ghat section drive. This might induce more fatigue than usual.

Better to take the driver. At least you will get to enjoy the scenery to the max.

Have a safe trip, Srini! :)

HI HappyWheels......my driver is for company/help, since I will be driving in the night.Also,he is with my dad in our native for last 15years and knows all those route. He will be here on friday morning to accompany us.

But,I am the person who's going to drive allthrough:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bglsrini (Post 895066)
...But,I am the person who's going to drive all through:)

Guess there is no way anyone can talk you out of driving (I knew I was giving a 'dead' suggestion!!! :D )!

Since the driving is during night time, it is always good to have an extra pair of hands, especially if it is someone whom you know very well.

I did my most awaited trip to kodai and back yesterday night at 2:45 a.m.
It was really great trip and shall post my experience in the below thread tonight with pictures:).

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...g-my-life.html

I really like to thank Mr.hvkumar for this route guidance and we really enjoyed the drive.But,the drive back was little tiresome due to traffic and 2 accidents on the road.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bglsrini (Post 902929)
...I really like to thank Mr.hvkumar for this route guidance and we really enjoyed the drive.But,the drive back was little tiresome due to traffic and 2 accidents on the road.

clap: as always!

The 'Great One' rules! :thumbs up

Srini, I hope the two accidents were nothing to do with you.

Thanks a great deal. Good to know you had a comfortable and safe trip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 903452)
clap: as always!

The 'Great One' rules! :thumbs up

Srini, I hope the two accidents were nothing to do with you.

yep,the accidents were nothing to do with me

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 903480)
Thanks a great deal. Good to know you had a comfortable and safe trip.

We had a great time Hvkumar.Thanx a lot.

I have put my travelogue in my thread and the link is below.........cheers:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...tml#post903349

Hi,

We planning a road trip to Munnar in my city ZX during Aug 14-Aug17. The one route discussed in this thread is along NH7 (Hosur, Dharmpuri...)
I tried to take directions from mapmyindia.com and it showed me the road along NH209. The distance showed as 457 kms (from sarjapur road).

Can you guys tell me which route is preferred?

we plan to start early in the morning on 14th. We are 4 adults and my 6 months old daughter.

Thanks in advance.

The best route - 464 kms - is via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Dharmapuri on NH7 till Toppur, then via Mettur to Bhavani, where you join NH47, leaving it at Perunthurai and going via Chennimalai, Gangeyam and Dharapuram to Udumailpet, and then onward to Munnar.

The roads are a little bad beween Krishnagiri and Dharmpauri because of road widening work, but rest of tthe route is good. This will also be the least uncomplicated and fastest route.

The route on NH209 means - bad roads via Kanakapura all the way to TN Border near Dimbam, heavy traffic on Sathy-Coimbatore stretch, navigating through Coimbatore City and Pollachi town.

If you start early in the morning (before 5 am), you can be in Munnar by evening. But I would suggest you carry packed food to save on time, since you must ideally cross the Udumalipett-Maraiyoor stretch (Chinnar WLS) before dark since there are elephant/ bison crossings.

Please remember that resorts are scattered all over the place around Munnar town, and you must provide for that extra time - for example, if you are staying in, say, Club Mahindra, provide for a least an extra 30 minutes since it is situated ouside Munnar.