Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2008, 03:03   #1
BHPian

Driving from Chennai to Talecherry... Need guidance

We are planning for an trip to Talecherry this weekend (25th - 29th) & the excuse... Friends Marriage cheers:

I am getting a little confused over the route that I need to take, would be great if you guys can help me in selecting a route.

Route 1:
CHENNAI - BANGALORE - MYSORE -GUNDULPET-SULTAN BATTERY - Talecherry (~700Kms)

I am comfortable with this route as I've been till Vythri resorts in Wayanad a couple of times before, I am not sure of the stretch between Sultan Battery and Talecherry and the route I need to take.

Route 2:
CHENNAI - Krishnagiri - Coimby -Palaghat-Calicut-Kollam-Thalecherry (~720Kms)

I have never travelled on these roads before, so any advice here would be really really helpful.

We are also planning for a days' stay in Wayanad, any recommendations(Hotels/Resort) that you may have?

Cheers!
Goutham
Old 22nd April 2008, 04:07   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_rider View Post
Route 2:
CHENNAI - Krishnagiri - Coimby -Palaghat-Calicut-Kollam-Thalecherry (~720Kms)
?? Kollam is second southmost Dist (Quilon in English) which is adjascent to Trivandrum, while Calicut and Talachery are northen Kerala. Is there any place called Kollam near Calicut?

My advice would be to stay away from Kerala traffic as possible so it appears the choice 1 is better.
Old 22nd April 2008, 09:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We are planning for an trip to Talecherry this weekend (25th - 29th) & the excuse... Friends Marriage cheers:

I am getting a little confused over the route that I need to take, would be great if you guys can help me in selecting a route.

Route 1:
CHENNAI - BANGALORE - MYSORE -GUNDULPET-SULTAN BATTERY - Talecherry (~700Kms)

I am comfortable with this route as I've been till Vythri resorts in Wayanad a couple of times before, I am not sure of the stretch between Sultan Battery and Talecherry and the route I need to take.

Goutham
From Kalpetta, proceed to Mananthavady (35 kms) and descend the ghats through Kolayad to Kuthuparamba (68 kms). Att Kuthuparamba, instead of going towards Kannur, turn towards Wadakara/Talaserry which is less than 20 kms.
Old 22nd April 2008, 10:23   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfire View Post
Is there any place called Kollam near Calicut?
Yes, there is. Meanwhile, Venom please follow hv's advice which is (as usual) spot-on!

Last edited by Steeroid : 22nd April 2008 at 10:25.
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:10   #5
Senior - BHPian

Route 1 is the best bet. You have good roads all the way till Kalpetta except near Gundulpet. Just watch out for Bangalore entry/exit times.
Old 22nd April 2008, 14:41   #6
BHPian

@Redfire, @Steeroid - Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
From Kalpetta, proceed to Mananthavady (35 kms) and descend the ghats through Kolayad to Kuthuparamba (68 kms). Att Kuthuparamba, instead of going towards Kannur, turn towards Wadakara/Talaserry which is less than 20 kms.
Wonderful... Thank you so much for the information. This exactly what I was looking for & Wadakara is the place that we are going to

Also, would you know the current condition of the roads between Nanjangud till the entry at Kerala border? The last time we went there, i think 2 years back, there were a lot of really bad stretches of road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Route 1 is the best bet. You have good roads all the way till Kalpetta except near Gundulpet. Just watch out for Bangalore entry/exit times.
We are planning to leave during the wee hours from Chennai... Hoping to reach bangalore by 11ish on Friday morning. While returning it would be around midnight, guess we are safe from B'lore traffic.

We are staying in Kerala from Friday evening - Monday morning, do you suggest that we stick around Mahe or look for some place around Wayanad to stay???

Cheers!
Goutham
Old 23rd April 2008, 11:28   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Also, would you know the current condition of the roads between Nanjangud till the entry at Kerala border? The last time we went there, i think 2 years back, there were a lot of really bad stretches of road.

We are staying in Kerala from Friday evening - Monday morning, do you suggest that we stick around Mahe or look for some place around Wayanad to stay???
the roads inside the WLS were being done up last month.it might be complete by now.

would suggest a stay in wynad.you can always drive down to mahe from vadakara.fuel(for man & machine) is cheap there.
Old 23rd April 2008, 12:21   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Yes, there is. Meanwhile, Venom please follow hv's advice which is (as usual) spot-on!
hhhmmm....a place called Kollam near Calicut? Where would that be?
Old 23rd April 2008, 13:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Just near Koyilandy..about 26kms north of Calicut.
Old 23rd April 2008, 19:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad75 View Post
the roads inside the WLS were being done up last month.it might be complete by now.

would suggest a stay in wynad.you can always drive down to mahe from vadakara.fuel(for man & machine) is cheap there.
Thanks ad75... I am going tank-"US"-up in Mahe!!! cheers:

Just booked the accommodation at The Woodlands Hotel in Wayanad today.

Oh boy, now I can't wait to hit the highway on Friday morning.

: I just realized in the morning that my insurance had expired on the 30th of March itself and I've been driving the car just like that!!!!

I got it renewed through C.A.R.S in Ambattur today and got them to fax the papers in the interim. Also got the car check-up done (coolant, lubrication, brakes etc.,). My low-beams were also not functioning for the last 2 days, it turned out to be due to a loose connection.

Guess what... they did all this and washed the car FREE OF COST (not the insurance, ofcourse)!!! Pretty impressed by their gesture I would say.

Cheers!
Goutham
Old 1st May 2008, 03:38   #11
BHPian

Just came back from an amazing 4 days trip (~2000 Kms) to what they rightly call as "God's own country".

Took the route suggested by hvkumar while going, though the stretch between Manthavady & Kuthuparamba was not too good the scenery around more than made up for it... it was challenging ghat roads admist thick forest!!! Loved driving through those roads.

On the way back we came took the Chockly-Nadapuram-Taruvana-Sultan Battery route, these are much better roads but a little less scenic.

Will pen down the travelogue soon... herez a pic of my ride and the ghat section between Taruvana & Sultan Battery and the ghat section between Manthavady & Kuthuparamba.
Attached Thumbnails
Driving from Chennai to Talecherry... Need guidance-esteem.jpg  

Driving from Chennai to Talecherry... Need guidance-ghat-road.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks