Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2012, 13:55   #31
BHPian

Re: Delhi to Indore : via Jaipur or Agra?

I plan to drive from Mumbai to Kota on November 9, 2012. Would it be better to drive through NH8 or N3/NH79?

Also any idea of the road condition between Gwalior and Indore?
Old 3rd January 2013, 17:03   #32

Hello Friends,

I am planning to go to Indore from Gurgaon on 26th Jan 2013, can anyone help me with the best route for this trip, also the latest road conditions.

Thanks in advance for help
Old 4th January 2013, 11:40   #33
BHPian

^^ Don't know the latest road condition but I did Noida-Indore in May, 2012 and took the following route: Delhi-Jaipur-Bhilwara-Chittor-Nimbahera-Neemuch-Jagra-Ujjain-Indore. It was a breeze.

My friends in Indore had told me to avoid Ratlam that time.
Old 6th January 2013, 11:44   #34
BHPian

It is still the best route (as of last week - we went on 25 Dec 12 on this road) that you followed lordofgondor, the Ratlam route leads you to lebad-pithampur stretch which is very bad. Lebad has about 4 kms worth of road for which no concessionaire seems to have been appointed and after excellent 4 lanes one suddenly ends up in a moonscape.

With the route you followed, Nimbahera to Neemuch has about 20 kms of a 2 lane, ill-maintained stretch between state borders. The rest of the road is great as follows:

Delhi-Ajmer Road Byepass-Kishangarh byepass-Bhilwara-Chittor-Nimbahera-Neemuch-Badhnawar-Ujjain-Indore.

Last edited by vaibhav_a_a : 6th January 2013 at 11:48.
Old 6th January 2013, 15:37   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhav_a_a View Post
It is still the best route (as of last week - we went on 25 Dec 12 on this road) that you followed lordofgondor, the Ratlam route leads you to lebad-pithampur stretch which is very bad. Lebad has about 4 kms worth of road for which no concessionaire seems to have been appointed and after excellent 4 lanes one suddenly ends up in a moonscape.

With the route you followed, Nimbahera to Neemuch has about 20 kms of a 2 lane, ill-maintained stretch between state borders. The rest of the road is great as follows:

Delhi-Ajmer Road Byepass-Kishangarh byepass-Bhilwara-Chittor-Nimbahera-Neemuch-Badhnawar-Ujjain-Indore.
While coming from Ratlam side, if you wish to go towards Nashik/Bombay/Pune, there is no need to go to Indore. Instead, you continue on the Lebad-Manpur expressway which will merge into NH3 south of Indore & Mhow. Superb roads.

If you need to go to Indore, then avid the Lebad-Indore road. Instead, turn off at Badnawar & take the excellent road through Ujjain to Indore.
Old 6th January 2013, 21:25   #36
BHPian

That's correct hvk, we used the lebad-manpur expressway while coming back from Aurangabad end as we didnt want to enter Indore.
Old 12th September 2013, 10:39   #37
BHPian

A colleague of mine has to visit Indore next weekend. Which is the best route to follow from Gurgaon?

Last edited by Vikas Arora : 12th September 2013 at 10:40. Reason: Updated the text
Old 12th September 2013, 11:48   #38
BANNED

The Jaipur route is far better. About a yar ago my nephew drove his new XUV500 from Indore to Gwalior and took the Jaipur route even though it was over 100km more. Still he saved a lot of time.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2013, 14:43   #39
Senior - BHPian

Jaipur route is better any day and roads are still good.
wanderernomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 00:34   #40

Hi ,
Been searching for forum posts on inputs on a Mumbai-Gwalior route for a proposed road trip in 2nd week of April . did get some useful 'current' inputs and I could summarize the following :

1. Mumbai to Indore is a breeze now with fully constructed 4/6 lane highways and shouldnt be a problem.
2. Indore/Ujjain - Gwalior (via Biaora ,Shivpuri) is a problem and should not be considered as I have a low GC car(Honda City, IVTEC -2011), also the total time taken would be 12-14 hrs

Considering the above and posts on this thread , I was thinking of the following alternate route from Indore

Indore - Ratlam-Neemuch-Chittorgarh-Kota-Shivpuri-Gwalior.

I understand that the stretch from Indore to Chittorgarh is fine , but If anyone can guide me on the Chittorgarh-Kota-Shivpuri-Gwalior road conditions , it could be helpful , also stay options on the above route would be more than welcome.

If the above is not feasible , I have no choice except to follow the longer route (Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Bhilwara-Jaipur-Agra-Gwalior) ,this is atleast 500 Km more than the Shortest route of Mumbai-Indore-Biaora-Shivpuri-Gwalior) .

Thanks in advance for your inputs
Old 12th March 2014, 09:45   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
Considering the above and posts on this thread , I was thinking of the following alternate route from Indore

Since you anyway need to go via Kota to Gwalior, I would say spend the extra distance on 4-lane.

Mumbai-AMD-Chittorh-Kota-Shivapuri-Gwalior.

Amazing roads all the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
When you are coming from Bombay, there is no need to touch Indore.
The route is as follows:
Bombay-Nashik-Dhule-Sendhwa-Dhamnod-Manpur-Lebad-Ratlam-Mandsaur-Neemuch-Nimbahera-Chittorgarh-Kota-Shivpuri
Why not stick to the regular NH8 AMD-Chittorh-Kota ? Much better facilities as well.

Last edited by ampere : 12th March 2014 at 10:04.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 10:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peripatetic View Post
Hi ,
Been searching for forum posts on inputs on a Mumbai-Gwalior route for a proposed road trip in 2nd week of April . did get some useful 'current' inputs and I could summarize the following :

1. Mumbai to Indore is a breeze now with fully constructed 4/6 lane highways and shouldnt be a problem.
2. Indore/Ujjain - Gwalior (via Biaora ,Shivpuri) is a problem and should not be considered as I have a low GC car(Honda City, IVTEC -2011), also the total time taken would be 12-14 hrs

I understand that the stretch from Indore to Chittorgarh is fine , but If anyone can guide me on the Chittorgarh-Kota-Shivpuri-Gwalior road conditions , it could be helpful , also stay options on the above route would be more than welcome.

If the above is not feasible , I have no choice except to follow the longer route (Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Udaipur-Bhilwara-Jaipur-Agra-Gwalior) ,this is atleast 500 Km more than the Shortest route of Mumbai-Indore-Biaora-Shivpuri-Gwalior) .

Thanks in advance for your inputs
The route is as follows:
Bombay-Nashik-Dhule-Sendhwa-Dhamnod-Manpur-Lebad-Ratlam-Mandsaur-Neemuch-Nimbahera-Chittorgarh-Kota-Shivpuri

Excellent route, but:

- 30 kms of road between Nimbahera (MP border) to Chittorgarh (RJ) is being widened, a big mess, lots of jams, heavy truck traffic, but this can be overcome by doing some nimble left shoulder & wrong side driving.

- Poor facilities in Dhule-Chittorgarh sector, except there are plenty of petrol pumps

- Poorer facilities between Chittorgarh & Shivpuri. In one sector beyond Kota, there are no petrol pumps for almost 75 kms

- Kota town has no bypass, and it can be messy navigating Kota

From Shivpuri, NH3 to Gwalior is good.

With an early morning start from Bombay, you could consider overnight halt at Ratlam-Chittorgarh (if good pace), Dhamnod (if delayed) or even Kota (if very fast)
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 15:29   #43

Mod note: Please avoid back to back posts, instead use Multi Quote [Quote+]. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
========================
With an early morning start from Bombay, you could consider overnight halt at Ratlam-Chittorgarh (if good pace), Dhamnod (if delayed) or even Kota (if very fast)
Thank You so much for clarifying this , I am travelling with my wife and 2 daughters -12&6 , so I guess, will stick to the Mumbai-Ahd-Chittorgarh-Kota-Shivpuri-Gwl route. hopefully Chittorgarh-kota-Shivpuri will be good...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Since you anyway need to go via Kota to Gwalior, I would say spend the extra distance on 4-lane.

Mumbai-AMD-Chittorh-Kota-Shivapuri-Gwalior.

Amazing roads all the way!

Why not stick to the regular NH8 AMD-Chittorh-Kota ? Much better facilities as well.
Ampere & Kumar Sir ,Advice well taken . will plan for the NH8 route and turn towards Kota-Shivpuri-Gwalior from Chittorgarh .
Thanks

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th March 2014 at 15:36. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 1st November 2014, 16:35   #44
BHPian

Recently drove from Kajuaraho to Ahmedabad. The road from Jhansi to Kota is excellent with very little traffic, the distance of 320 km was completed in 3 hours. Nearing Kota, the highway continues with the road signs indicating Chittorgargh, but I was surprised to see huge concrete blocks indicating termination of the highway. There was no body to ask for directions, so turned back till I could ask someone the way. It seems one has to cross Kota city to reach the other end of the highway and this road is terrible near the thermal power station on the opposite side of Kota. What happened to the highway in between, I couldn't figure out. The drive through Kota takes an additional hour.
Old 1st November 2014, 18:11   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
What happened to the highway in between, I couldn't figure out. The drive through Kota takes an additional hour.
Is this the route that you took?

Route Link

Most Viewed