Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2008, 20:09   #1
BHPian

Planning trip to palani

Hello friends,

I am planning a trip to palani with my family. I am confused over which route we should take as there are two options. One is through palghat (through pollachi) and another through madurai ( touching nagercoil and virudunagar ). The madurai route is shorter. But anxious about the condition of the road as i heard that highway work is going on. So please give me your opinion on the route. And also about restaurants on the way and in palani. Try to give some info on good hotels in palani with ample parking space.
Old 14th May 2008, 23:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Madurai route is better when coming from Trivandrum. The construction work on NH7 between Nagercoil and Madurai is not disruptive and you can make good speeds. Take NH7 all the way to Madurai where you do not have to go into the city. Continue on NH7 till Dindigul where you turn left into the road to Kodaikanal/Periakulam/Theni (I don't think Palani is marked on the sign boards. At Sembatti which is approximately 15-20 kms after turning off NH7, turn right and go via Othanchatram to Palani.

If you want to go on the Pollachi route (maybe a good idea for the return journey), go via Udmalaipet, Pollachi. At Pollachi town, turn left (straight goes to Coimbatore) and go to Palakkad via Gopalapuram and Kanjikode. Once you are in Palakkad (town is bypassed), you are on NH47 all the way to Trivandrum via Trissur, Kochi, Alapuzha and Kollam.
Old 20th May 2008, 21:03   #3
BHPian

Thanks for the information. But i also need some tips on bad stretches of roads and bootlenecks like we have in kerala . It will be very nice if some hotels on the way and in palani ( with parking space) is pointed out.

Last edited by swathyd : 20th May 2008 at 21:06.
Old 21st May 2008, 00:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the TVM-Nagercoil sretch, there are no other congested corridors, barring perhaps Tirumangalam-Madurai-Dindigul. No bad roads. You can reach Palani without stop the same day without any need to halt en route. Lots of hotels in Palani, but don't know any.
Old 21st May 2008, 10:55   #5
BHPian

TVM-Nagercoil route is bad. Congested and potholed. From there till Madurai, 4 lane is under construction. Be cautious while driving on this route since both tracks are not opened for vehicles at many places, the traffic is on two way direction (even though it might seem that its a four way track). Warning sign boards are very rare. Recently, there had been a lot of accidents including those from Kerala.

The alternate road from Gopalapuram chungam to Alathur during 2007 Sep was really bad. Hope they repaired it.

I did not stay at Palani. Hence, can't comment on hotels.

Have a safe journey!
Old 21st May 2008, 14:12   #6
BHPian

I am planning to go to Kodaikanal next week. Is it better to go to Madurai via Nagarcoil - Tirunelveli route or via Thenmala - Shencottai - Rajapalayam etc.

Also is it shorter to take a left turn from Tirumangalam (without going to Madurai) to go to Kodaikanal?
Old 21st May 2008, 14:32   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlover98 View Post
I am planning to go to Kodaikanal next week. Is it better to go to Madurai via Nagarcoil - Tirunelveli route or via Thenmala - Shencottai - Rajapalayam etc.

Also is it shorter to take a left turn from Tirumangalam (without going to Madurai) to go to Kodaikanal?
Thenmala Shencottai road is non existant.
Old 22nd May 2008, 09:37   #8
BHPian

Dhar,
Thanks for the info. I will stick to the Nagarcoil - Tirunelveli route.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks