Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 18:12   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: High time high range

Quote:
Originally Posted by kala View Post
The last time I travelled that way (mid November), it took me about 6 hours to cover the 180 kms from Udumalpet to Muvattupuzha (inclusive of a half an hour lunch break). The road inside the Chinnar WLS was full of potholes - so had to traverse it at absolutely crawling pace. Even the Munnar-Adimali-Kothamangalam section had potholes off and on and pretty heavy traffic (I covered it during the day). The combination of narrow curvy roads and heavy traffic makes overtaking nearly impossible and that was the main reason why the average speed achieved on that trip was so low.

Not sure if any of those sections have been relaid now, but if it isn't I'd think that going via Kodai Rd- Theni-Cumbum-Kumily would probably be faster.
+1

Thats what I mentioned that the ghat section around Munnar (Udumalpet-Chinnar-Marayoor-Munnar-Adimali) would at least take 4 hours (to cover about 100/110km).
Old 29th January 2013, 09:33   #32
BHPian

re: Bangalore to Kottayam via Salem : Route Queries

Thanks, guys.. Looks like will stick to Dindigul-Theni route..
Old 29th January 2013, 09:39   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by avkurian View Post
Thanks, guys.. Looks like will stick to Dindigul-Theni route..
Do note that Theni Dindigul has quite some diversions. Need to be on the watch.
Some members said it was OK to drive through.

Alternatively you can do Theni-Andipetty-Batlagundu-Kodai Road-Dindigul.
Route Link

This is at max a 10-12km extra distance.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 09:44   #34
BHPian

Thanks, Ampere.. Have done that route 3 times. The road after Dindigul does get better each time
Old 26th March 2013, 18:36   #35
BHPian

Bangalore to Kottayam via Salem

BHP-ians,
I have been travelling a lot recently by the Multi-Axle volvos to Kottayam.I notice that rather than the normal Krishnagiri toll,they are using a different route from Hosur.Problem is,I fall asleep every time they pass thru a smallish village/town and haven't got the proper route.They do save on toll.

I am going to drive down this week to kottayam,so was hoping some of our fellow BHP-ians might have noticed the route? Or does anyone know the drivers?
Old 26th March 2013, 19:12   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
BHP-ians,
I have been travelling a lot recently by the Multi-Axle volvos to Kottayam.I notice that rather than the normal Krishnagiri toll,they are using a different route from Hosur.Problem is,I fall asleep every time they pass thru a smallish village/town and haven't got the proper route.They do save on toll.
They most probably take the Old Dharmapuri route via Rayakottai. And then go via Thoppur and maybe Mettur/Bhavani.

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2013 at 19:13.
Old 26th March 2013, 20:16   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nijelj View Post
I am going to drive down this week to kottayam,so was hoping some of our fellow BHP-ians might have noticed the route? Or does anyone know the drivers?
While the Volvo takes those routes, how is the ride quality?
Old 27th March 2013, 11:08   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
While the Volvo takes those routes, how is the ride quality?
Ramzsys, the Volvos rip along these two lane roads at high speed.Lots of swinging,not much braking.Due to the blessed Air suspensions on these Multi-axles,I was not able to gauge the condition of the road.
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2013, 20:08   #39
BHPian

Gentlemen, any one do a bangalore to kottayam road trip recently? Would be grateful if someone could update the road conditions. I'm still deciding which route to take.
Old 8th April 2013, 18:42   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aajohn View Post
Gentlemen, any one do a bangalore to kottayam road trip recently? Would be grateful if someone could update the road conditions. I'm still deciding which route to take.
Did the trip on 25th April on my Nano. after hosur, there is some construction going on,so the roads will deviate onto each other.Then its smooth sailing till Avinashi.There please be careful from on the 3rd bridge onwards.This bridge has some expansion joints which has been very badly filled,meaning they actually are speed breaker humps.In the night the visibility is really poor,because the oncoming traffic blinds you and then you run into three of these.

Also make sure you take the last diversion correctly onto the L&T express way.In feb when I travelled,I took the last diversion wrongly and ended up in coimbatore city!There is a small signboard,so made sure I read it this time.

Walayar road is ok till palakkad (they've patched the roads)
Kuthiran is bad for around 8-10kms, but otherwise its ok till Angamaly.At Kalady(if you are taking muvattupuzha route), I think there is some church related festival going on,so not sure about rush.But you can do the angamali-kalamassery-seaport-airportroad-chottanikara-mulanthruthy-kanjiramattom-kottayam in around 2hrs

Regs
Nijelj
nijelj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2015, 17:05   #41

Just traveled from Bangalore to Tiruvalla over the X'Mas break (Dec-2014) took BLR-Hosur-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Kanjirappally-Tiruvalla. The return journey took less time than onward journey. I guess that was because we traveled on 24th Dec. 10 Hours average without counting the breaks, started at 5:30am and reached Tiruvalla by 5:00pm. Roads are very good, bad stretches are between Theni to Kumily (~50 km).
Bangalore-Dindigul -> 5 hours (370 kms)
Dindigul-Kumily -> 2.5 hours (135 kms)
Kumily-Tiruvalla -> 2.5 hours (110 kms)
breaks -> 1.5 hours

I would suggest this route if you are travelling to Kottayam-Tiruvalla side , this route is way better than Coimbatore-Palakkad-Angamaly route. I saved 1.5~2 hours.
binum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2015, 13:20   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binum View Post
Just traveled from Bangalore to Tiruvalla over the X'Mas break (Dec-2014) took BLR-Hosur-Salem-Dindigul-Theni-Kumily-Kanjirappally-Tiruvalla. The return journey took less time than onward journey. I guess that was because we traveled on 24th Dec. 10 Hours average without counting the breaks, started at 5:30am and reached Tiruvalla by 5:00pm. Roads are very good, bad stretches are between Theni to Kumily (~50 km).
Bangalore-Dindigul -> 5 hours (370 kms)
Dindigul-Kumily -> 2.5 hours (135 kms)
Kumily-Tiruvalla -> 2.5 hours (110 kms)
breaks -> 1.5 hours

I would suggest this route if you are travelling to Kottayam-Tiruvalla side , this route is way better than Coimbatore-Palakkad-Angamaly route. I saved 1.5~2 hours.
I'm planning on driving to Kottayam from Bangalore next month. Google maps seems to recommend (attached image) the Coimbatore Palakkad Angamaly route, without the Dindigul option at all. Is the Dindigul option still better in reality? Or have there been some improvements on the route that Google Maps recommends?
Attached Images

Old 15th November 2015, 13:35   #43
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
I'm planning on driving to Kottayam from Bangalore next month. Google maps seems to recommend (attached image) the Coimbatore Palakkad Angamaly route, without the Dindigul option at all. Is the Dindigul option still better in reality? Or have there been some improvements on the route that Google Maps recommends?
The Dindigul option means you have 4 lane on NH7 till Dindigul turn off. I would prefer this one.

Now that 4 lane work is almost complete on Palakkad-Vadakkencherry sector, it could be fast as well provided you time it well. Coimbatore-Palakkad L&T bypass is still 2 lane and sometimes near Walayar the trucks can slow you but seems to be fine last few months. Beyond Mannuthy I think it will be slow due to traffic, road/metro work.

I think it's now a matter of preference and timing, so Even Stevens (almost)!

Last edited by NPV : 15th November 2015 at 13:39.
Old 19th December 2015, 20:22   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardofid View Post
Hi wizardofid, Which route did you finally take Coimbatore or Dindigul option. How is the Dindigul, Theni, Kumily route now? Thanks !
Old 28th June 2016, 20:48   #45
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore to Kottayam via Salem : Route Queries

Where exactly would be the cut off to Kottayam when approaching from Thrissur to Ernakulam?

I will be driving to Kottayam next week and will be doing it after years. The last time I did it was via Ernakulam.

Any idea how the road conditions are from the cut off.

Also as an alternative which I always wanted to do, how is the route via Dindigul and Kumily? I think this will lead directly to Kottayam?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks