Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2008, 15:37   #1
BHPian

Bangalore - to Jog Falls? What is the current status

Everyone,

I think I know the route sufficiently?.. The big question is whether this is a good time to visit?.. Rains have just started and I dont know the water level.. Can any one who stays closeby help?

Also, we are looking at few options in the surrounding places
Sringeri
Kollur
Aagumbe
Udupi

Let me know your suggestions on the best path to cover these places.. I have 3 days to do this.

Thanks
Shankar
Old 1st July 2008, 16:22   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know man, I've never enjoyed jogging in the rain. You stand a great chance of slipping and falling down.
What is worse is that your Adidas' tend to get all muddy and yucky.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 1st July 2008 at 16:32.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:27   #3
BHPian

Jog falls - it's slippery up there. Times of India has reported that about 4 people have lost their lives so far this season. They have even put up a photo of a youth who was trapped and couldn't be saved :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
Everyone,

I think I know the route sufficiently?.. The big question is whether this is a good time to visit?.. Rains have just started and I dont know the water level.. Can any one who stays closeby help?

Sringeri
Kollur
Aagumbe
Udupi

Let me know your suggestions on the best path to cover these places.. I have 3 days to do this.

Thanks
Shankar
Old 1st July 2008, 16:29   #4
BHPian

When you visit Jog falls, there is always a compromise. Either you go in the rainy season where you get to see the falls in full flow...but you have to put up with the rain, shoes getting muddy, getting wet etc. Or go after the rainy season and avoid all discomfort...but you cannot see the falls in full flow.

I have been there both in the rainy season and after, and would recommend to go in the rainy season.
Old 1st July 2008, 16:56   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankaranand View Post
Everyone,

Sringeri
Kollur
Aagumbe
Udupi

Thanks
Shankar
I had been to shimoga very recently. The route from bangalore - shimoga is good. But beware of the sudden humps between tumkur and tiptur.
The posible route is
BLR-HASSAN-CHIKMAGALUR-ALDUR-SRINGERI-AGUMBE-HEBRI-UDUPI-
KUNDAPURA-KOLLUR-BHATKALA-MURUDESHWARA-HONNAVARA-TALGUPPA-
SAGARA-JOGFALLS-SHIMOGA-ARASIKERE-TUMKUR-BLR
Else vice versa

Last edited by tsk1979 : 2nd July 2008 at 13:18. Reason: Breaking the loooooong line to make it more readable :)
Old 1st July 2008, 17:25   #6
BHPian

Mr Ravibhat,

from your previous posts, you are the most informed about this part of karnataka,
pl update the status as to is it raining?, worth a visit now or wait for it rain even more..

thanks in advance...
Old 1st July 2008, 21:09   #7
Senior - BHPian

For this thread starter Shankar I suggest the route sketched out by sushrutha is perfect for 3 days. Roads are in good shape as of now thats what I heard.

About Jog Falls best time is middle of August, because Linganamakki Dam is very huge one so it will get filled if it rains heavily and also by August water will be released. So far rain is less but still we have 1 month to see If it rains heavily if not normal. Last year Jog was excellant. I hope samething this year too in August.

If you would like to explore other places in rain then go head with the plan, you can watch Jog Falls with quiet good amount of water now also but it won't be in full Josh!

First day halt at Udupi( aprox. 450km). Second day at murdeshwara (150km) and third visit Jog Falls on the way to Bangalore(460km).

I am about to leave Bangalore in couple of days for 10 days stay in these areas to enjoy rain as its raining now but this time its raining less!

I am most probably travelling Bangalore - Shimoga - Kodachadri - Kollur - Byndoor - Honnavar - Ankola - Panaji - Sawantwadi - Amboli - Belguam - Hubli - Bangalore (1500km trip planned) in 10 days.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 2nd July 2008, 12:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, If you have time please visit the linganmakki , Bhadra reservoiur project and enjoy the water sports n boat ride at river tern resorts.
Water sports will be held only if there's no rain
Old 2nd July 2008, 14:35   #9
BHPian

Complete stretch is good now. Earlier the Bhadravathi section was potholed.
Travelled last month. Its pretty decent to drive. Could take u , 5 hours to Shimoga, 1 hour to Sagar from there and 25 min to Jog from there.
Old 19th August 2008, 12:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

Back from Shimoga n Jog trip.
It was raining cats n dogs all the way n return trip too.
Road condition is worsening to a large extent between Kadur - Tarikere- Bhadravathi.
Rest of the road is nice and doable by any car easily

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks