Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2008, 11:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Beware!

I find it absolutely scary and dangerous to drive on *any* highway (excluding expressway) at more than 110-120. Even though road quality has improved. People take a stroll on road as if walking in park, cattle merrily grazes on and any moving thing from cycle to 3- trolley tractor crosses the road at its leisure.

So, be more cautious at least at nights!
RX135, thanks for the advice. I will be careful. I intend to start at 3AM. So I will not cross 80 before daylight.

During daytime, I will maintain 120, if conditions allow!

Can anyone share any info on fuel pumps enroute? I have filled up yesterday night. So I have to refuel near Hubli, for safety sake.

I also intend to buy a new spare tryre. Is Darshan Tyres good?
Old 31st July 2008, 13:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Lotts of petrol stations in Kolhapur. A couple of pumps before Dharwad-Hubli bypass. Best option is to refuel at Kolhapur and go on till Ankola where you can refuel at the IOC pump next to Upachar Kamat on NN17.
Old 31st July 2008, 13:37   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Lotts of petrol stations in Kolhapur. A couple of pumps before Dharwad-Hubli bypass. Best option is to refuel at Kolhapur and go on till Ankola where you can refuel at the IOC pump next to Upachar Kamat on NN17.
Thanks Kumar Ji, I actually do not want to enter Kolhapur or stop anywhere before daylight. I think the best option will be to refuel near Hubli Bypass. Second re-fuelling can be done in Kerala?

I also want to change one of my tyres. It has already crossed 56,000 kilometres. But there is still some tread left in it. I am using it as my left rear tyre. Should I continue with that tyre or change it right away?
Old 31st July 2008, 14:10   #19
Senior - BHPian

You do not have to enter Kolhapur, all the perol pumps are on the bypass. Ideally, you should refuel at Konduskar's which is around 5 kms on NH4 itself from the point where you turn off to enter Kolhapur city. Accepts credit cards also. Diesel is cheaper in Maharashtra than Karnataka. Difficult to reach Kerala on a full tank from Hubli.

If you refuel at Kolhapur, you can take one more load at Honavar or Kundapura, and thereafter take a full tank at Mahe which is cheaper than Kerala. Mahe is halfway between Kannur and Kozhikode after you cross Talaserry. From Mahe, you can make it to TVM on a full tank.

Driving on worn-out tres in rainy conditions and high speeds is not advisable. But keeping it as a rear tyre is a sensible idea in case you do not wish to change over. Bear in mind that you run he risk of having more punctures now.
Old 31st July 2008, 14:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

Didnt you have any incident before with a blown tyre in your last trip? I suggest change of tyres. Better safe than sorry.

Another thing to watch out for on NH63 - the numerous unmarked road humps before and after every village. My car literally flew over one on my return trip. I had to slow down from around 90kmph with just a few meters to spare - the brakes were squealing like mad and the fact that the car literally flew over the hump rather than bottoming out probably saved my car's a**.
Old 31st July 2008, 14:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Didnt you have any incident before with a blown tyre in your last trip? I suggest change of tyres. Better safe than sorry.

Another thing to watch out for on NH63 - the numerous unmarked road humps before and after every village. My car literally flew over one on my return trip. I had to slow down from around 90kmph with just a few meters to spare - the brakes were squealing like mad and the fact that the car literally flew over the hump rather than bottoming out probably saved my car's a**.
Thanks Spadival and Kumar Ji. I will change my tyre. I think I have squeezed out enough from my tyre! 56,000 kilometres lifespan is good!

During my last trip, my blown tyre was new and only 6000 kilometres old. It probably happened due to high speed on a curve (tyre flexing?)
Old 31st July 2008, 15:13   #22
BHPian

Make sure that you refuel before you hit NH 63. There are no reliable pumps on NH 63. Maybe, you can refuel at Belgaum bypass before you hit NH 63.

Once you hit NH 17, there are lots of pumps. There is a good Indian Oil pump called West Coast or something like that before Turtle bay resort (before Kundapura) on the right hand side when you go towards Mangalore. Fuel costs in Karnataka are more, but then you'd want reliable pumps while making a long trip.

I like to keep refuelling when I hit the halfway mark on the fuel gauge, because I don't know when the next good fuel station will come. Earlier, I used to like Reliance pumps (though costlier) for the clean restrooms they have, but then they have mostly shut shop now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy_lover View Post
Can anyone share any info on fuel pumps enroute? I have filled up yesterday night. So I have to refuel near Hubli, for safety sake.

Last edited by pradkumar : 31st July 2008 at 15:18.
Old 1st August 2008, 13:33   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Driving on worn-out tres in rainy conditions and high speeds is not advisable. But keeping it as a rear tyre is a sensible idea in case you do not wish to change over. Bear in mind that you run he risk of having more punctures now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spadival View Post
Thanks Kumar Ji and Spadival. I changed my Chevy's tyre yesterday. I bought a Goodyear GT3 for Rs. 4300/- from Darshan Tyres. I am ready to roll now.

I will be leaving by 3am tomorrow. Just wanted one more update. Is there any issue of dacoits en-route, especially in the ghats before Wai?
Old 1st August 2008, 13:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be leaving by 3am tomorrow. Just wanted one more update. Is there any issue of dacoits en-route, especially in the ghats before Wai?
Never heard of any such problem, have driven on this route at all times of day and night several times. In any case, there is heavy traffic on this road, especially in the Khambatki Ghat (the ghats you are referring to, that's the name).

Have a good trip.
Old 1st August 2008, 13:54   #25
Senior - BHPian

Thank you very much Kumar Ji. I heard that there are Police checks to catch speeding vehicles in Kerala. Is it true? Will I have to carry my original documents along with me?
Old 1st August 2008, 14:01   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you very much Kumar Ji. I heard that there are Police checks to catch speeding vehicles in Kerala. Is it true? Will I have to carry my original documents along with me?
There are speed check posts in Kerala at night, but have been lucky not to get into any trouble - most of them were either unmanned or else the cops chose not to stop me. I have been stopped in Nagercoil-Trivandrum (NH47) route and Paravur-Kodungallur (NH17) at night for security checks, but nothing else.

I always carry my originals - RC, license, PUC, insurance.
Old 5th August 2008, 19:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

NH 17 in worst shape possible!

Dear Team,

I finally reached Trivandrum. I started from Pune at 4am on 2nd August. We took NH 4 upto Hubli and then took the NH 63 through Yellapur. It is good in stretches, but still in pretty bad condition. The unmarked bumps and rolling strips will surely kill your suspension!!!

I missed the first bump and had a terrible jump. But luckily, no damage was done! There are bumps before each and every village en-route!

NH 17 is still worse! The absolute worst roads in India at the moment, I think! I had to halt at Udupi at 7:30 pm on Day 1, due to very bad roads.

I started from Udupi at 7am, on day 2. I finally reached Trivandrum on the 4th August at 1:30 am after a 17 hour drive!!!

I will be posting a detailed travelouge, with some beautiful pics, once I reach Pune!

Team, I had such a frustrating time on NH 17. My crash guard broke again when it fell into a ditch in Mangalore!!! No! I wasn't speeding. My speed was just 10km/hr!!!

I have decided not to drive on NH17 for a long long long time!!

Team, please let me know the route to take from Trivandrum to Pune via Coimbatore and Bangalore (NH 47).

Kumar Ji, I am anticipating a detailed route description from you, as always!!! Your predictions and descriptions were so accurate! Please help!
Old 5th August 2008, 20:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Pls use the following route for return journey:TVM - Tenkasi - Rajapalayam - Madurai - (NH7) - Dindigul - Salem - Bangalore - Pune

Better and faster roads.

It can be done in 2 days. Ideal night halt may be Hotel Rennaissance Hosur.

To bypass Bangalore, Take right turn from Attibele, the first right turn after entering KN immediately after the border checkpost.

Attibele - Sarjapur = 9km, Take left
Sarjapur - HSR Ring Road = 15km, Take right turnKeep following the route for Hyderabad, you will reach Hebbal flyover,

Take right for Hyderabad, in another 4km you will hit Yelahanka, enter Yelahanka / Dodaballapur route.

Yelahanka - Dodaballapur - Dobbspet is another beautiful route, it will hit NH4 at Dobbspet about 17km before Tumkur. Tumkur - Pune is straight forward which you know.

There is heavy construction activity happening right from Attibele till Neelamangala, you might loose good amount of time.I have PMed u my cell number.

Pls call me in case you need assistance to bypass out of bangalore.

Abhi

Last edited by akroy : 5th August 2008 at 20:14.
Old 5th August 2008, 22:13   #29
Senior - BHPian

Long tough days indeed! Thanks for the feedback on the roads.

In case you propose to use NH47, leave as early as possible from Trivandrum to beat day traffic till Ernakulam. If you leave by 3-4, you could reach Ernakulam in as little as 3 hours time.

Once you reach Coimbatore, you can decide on routes to take to Bangalore. You could go via Sathy, Dimbam, Chamarajanagar and Mysore (but then roads on Karnataka border are very bad), or go on NH47/NH7 via Avinashi, Bhavani, Metttur, Dharamapuri and Hosur. The issue is how to avoid the Bangalore city traffic.

I would prefer the Sathy-Mysore route since the bad roads are not much, and can be managed easier tthan Bangalore city traffic (but you have to cross Coimbatore city, which is not complicated, if you are very fas, ideal place for early lunch). From Mysore, road to Bangalore is great. You can turn off after Bidadi into the NICE Road and completely bypass Bangalore citty and reach Nelamangala on NH4.

I can suggest one more alternative: from Mysore, go via K R Pet, Channarayapatna, Arsikere, Tarikere, Bhadravathi, Shimoga and Honnali to Harihar on NH4, and continue from there to Pune. Apart from avoiding Bangalore, you have the pleasure of driving through the beautiful Malnad region. Problems are some bad roads near Shimoga, but otherwise the shortest drive.

Abhi's idea is good, but the Trivandrum-Tenkasi route is all ghats, and the first 100 kms to Tenkasi should take you at least 2.5-3 hours. Road from Tenkasi to Madurai via Rajapalayam is great, but gets a bit messy going to Dindigul and then facing road widening work in stages all the way through Karur, Salem, Toppur, Dharmapuri to Krishnagiri.

If you go directly to Bangalore via NH47/NH7 or via Tenkasi, Hosur or Bangalore would be good places to halt at.

If you chose the Mysore-Shimoga roue, you could halt at Mysore or if very fast,even reach Shimoga.

What is our choice of route? I will send you a detailed route plan accordingly.
Old 6th August 2008, 09:12   #30
Senior - BHPian

Whatever you choose, if you are entering Bangalore from Hosur side, kindly follow my route otherwise you are into a big mess for atleast 2-3hours.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks