Team-BHP - BLR-Trichy-Velankanni-Madurai-BLR Route Help
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Route / Travel Queries (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/)
-   -   BLR-Trichy-Velankanni-Madurai-BLR Route Help (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-travel-queries/43186-blr-trichy-velankanni-madurai-blr-route-help.html)

We are planning to visit Trichy, Tanjavur, Velankanni, Madurai and return to Bangalore...during the Independence day weekend.

Please let me know Route, time to travel and Optimum route. Any idea about how many days we might need to cover these places?? thanks.

NH7 via Hosur, Krishnagiri, Salem till Karur. Then via Musiri to Trichy. From Trichy via Thanjavur, Tiruvarur and Nagapttinam to Velankanni. Velankanni to Madurai.

You can do Bangalore-Thanjavur in a day, assuming you leave early in the morning. Thanjavur to Velankanni takes you 2 hours.

From Velankanni to Madurai, you can take the route via Pattukottai and Pudukottai to Madurai, should ake you under 4 hours.

Return from Madurai can be entirely on NH7 via Dindigul, Karur and Salem. The return should take you a full day's drive.

HVK, Isnt the route between Salem to Trichy better taken thru Namakkal than Karur. The road on the Namakkal end is much (much) better and that also includes the traffic (except for Salem - Rasipuram buses!!!)

You are right, it is a shorter route from Namakkal to Musiri instead of via Karur. Only worry is that the Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy road has been known to be not-so-good, although I have no current update. The advantage of going via Karur is NH7 till Karur and then NH67 via Kulittalai to Trichy. At Kulittalai, you have the additional option of going via Musiri to Trichy also.

I have personally driven only on Namakkal-Musiri-Trichy road, and not via Karur.

As of now, you cannot go into Musiri using the highway; you will have to take the bridge and cross over to the other side of the river and go ahead thru Kuluthalai. The highway is being worked upon and the road is completely blocked. This is a my last visit 2 months back. No update since!

Do you mean the Musiri-Trichy road or the Namakkal-Musiri road? Which one is closed?

Check out and ask for the route that takes you directly from Nagapattinam to Velankanni. It goes almost through the Nagapattinam port and parallel to the seacoast. There is a slightly roundabout route through Sikkal.

The best route tto Velankanni from Trichy is via Thanjavur, Needamangalam, Tiruvarur and Nagapattinam. Excellent roads. You do not have to enter Trichy city. As you come in from Musiri, you will see the left turn off NH45 towards Thanjavur. You can also bypass Thanjavur city. Just before you enter Nagapattinam town, you will see the right turn towards Velanakanni which is 10 kms away.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hvkumar (Post 920800)
Do you mean the Musiri-Trichy road or the Namakkal-Musiri road? Which one is closed?

Namakkal-Musiri. You can go till the outskirts of Musiri. It is just the last few KM just before Musiri, coming from Namakkal, that has been blocked, rather dug up.

Hi,

You can also visit maps.live.com. This also gives several options for travelling. Routes told by hvkumar is perfect.

When I did Kumbakonam - Trichy in May '08, 4 laning work was happening between Thanjavur & Trichy, so expect some delays in that stretch, not sure if work is happening beyond Thanjavur.

If you are going to Trichy from Bangalore it is always better to take Namakkal - Musiri - Trichy. Never ever take Karur - Trichy. More over it is longer route and much more time consuming.

It is a 2 lane with hell lot of curves simply too much of traffic and most of the time bad roads between Karur and Kulithalai due to heavy loaded trucks (cement or sand)

Quote:

Originally Posted by xotiq (Post 920305)
We are planning to visit Trichy, Tanjavur, Velankanni, Madurai and return to Bangalore...during the Independence day weekend.

Please let me know Route, time to travel and Optimum route. Any idea about how many days we might need to cover these places?? thanks.

thanks for all the replies.....just got over the diesel scare in Bangalore, any issues in TN?

Not in Madurai! Premium is in short supply though!