Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Are u satisfied with the current condition of the mumbai-pune expressway ??
yes -- looks fine to me 1 5.56%
no -- can be better with proper maintaince 16 88.89%
i dont care and still maintain the same speeds as earlier 1 5.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2008, 16:36   #1
bhp
BHPian

Are u satisfied with the current condition of the Mumbai-Pune expressway ??

Are u satisfied with the current condition of the mumbai-pune expressway ??

The expressway is a 98 km drive driven with passion , comfort , no more difficult lonavla ghats and less time consuming compared to the old highway .

But with time the expressway condition is getting worsen :-

Bumpy ride as compared to earlier condition because of lack of proper maintaince hence roads are not very good for the cars suspension even with the toll prices currently at rs 140/-

specially some sections in lonavla which are very bumpy and some potholes which have been there since ages now :-

1) while towards lonavla a pothole before the second tunnel.
2) while towards lonavla just at the start of the ghat.

No proper protection in some sections for landslides at lonavala which cause heavy traffic jams during the monsoons.

2-3 months back there was a major accident on the expressway near lonavla which took around 28 hrs to clear creating big traffic jams.

During the rainy season u see rubber strips coming out on the roads..

Personally i do mumbai-pune atleast 1-2 times in a month and i find the condition getting worse everytime and feel no more excited to take that route everytime as i was earlier..

Last edited by bhp : 18th August 2008 at 16:42.
Old 18th August 2008, 20:36   #2
BHPian

Though my opinion is based on my travel to mumbai in july, i can only say that the condition of the expressway could have worsened and so my vote stays the same

Also, have any of you noticed that the road is 'very' wavy in the middle lane from the start of the eway from pune to the first toll?
I thought there was a problem in my car first but i have received similar opinions from many others whom i have asked
Old 18th August 2008, 22:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

Just got back from pune yesterday via the Expressway. have lots to complain.

1) HUGE pot holes in lane 3 and on the tar(ed) portions.

2) NOBODY USES rear view mirrors. People in the fast lane will drive at 80 and 90kph. and will not budge for a faster car coming from behind. That becomes very very frustrating.

3) NO LANE DISCIPLINE. Even though its written in English, Hindi, Marathi.

4) These huge puddles of water on parts of the expressway on LANE 1. Scarry as aquaplains.

5) HUGE Q'S at toll naka. Expressway cant handle anything more than your everyday traffic.

6) Incase of accident people even on the opposite side will STOP to look and not help.

7) For a reason known to them people in tunnels or heavy rain will put their flashers on and drive. Now ive seen people do this in heavy fog conditions, which is understandable. But please not on the expressway. For people who are not used to this sort of stuff its scary to see those lights bliniking when your doing 130/ 140.

8) List can go on and on.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

1. Joints in bridges are terrible - you always hit it with a big bump.
2. I saw a break in the divider in the Khopoli-Panvel section, and a car was actually making an illegal U-turn.
3. Poor bush-fencing in centre divider - causes visibility problems at night. Contrast with Baroda-Ahmedabad expressway, total protection against oncoming glare, thanks to the bushes
4. final ascent section (from Khopoli side, leading to Khandala Tunnel) needs expansion fast, heavy traffic congestion thanks to slow-moving trucks on steep incline
5. Khandala ghat descent needs realignment to make turns more sloped for safety
6. Once upon a time, there used to be an ambulance at each toll gate!
7. anyone tried out the emergency mobile number or the road-side emergency phone booths?
Old 18th August 2008, 22:28   #5
BHPian

I agree with danlalan, I did Pune-Mumbai and back on Thursday. The ghat section at Khandala at night with rains is almost a nightmare because of the large number trucks. Clearly expressway is not adequate anymore as compared to the amount of traffic flowing. Maybe it was once, but not any more. They will need to double the lanes in the next 5 years, or it'll become just another road. Much like the GQ, which was designed to be a bypass, but is completely possibly inside every city it passes through. In Pune, it does not even look like GQ. Full of encroachments from trucks/buses, taxis stopping without warning and cattle. It is a disappointment and our cops should be ashamed. On thursday, I did not see a single cop throughout the lenghth of e-way. Who will monitor wreckless lane changes and overspeeding?

Quote:
1. Joints in bridges are terrible - you always hit it with a big bump.
This is actually okay, I have driven in US and came across these there as well.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 18th August 2008 at 22:31.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post

This is actually okay, I have driven in US and came across these there as well.
You must check out Ahmedabad-Baroda expressway - makkan jaisa ride quality, no level differences and broken blocks on bridge joints.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:42   #7
BHPian

i recently did Pune - Lonavla and back on the eway and the old highway. Although there were potholes on both, for some strange reason I preferred the old highway. Way too scenic and less dangerous.
Old 18th August 2008, 22:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

The exit of Lonavala/Khandala onto the expressway is just mind boggling..How on earth can you take out an exit perpendicular to the expressway. That was just insane. It keep you in smashing distance from the cars travelling from pune towards mumbai. And that very exit road is marred with potholes.

The leaking tunnel make we wonder as to when the tunnel might/will cave in.

and the silt / mud from the flower bed that rolls on to LANE 1.
Old 19th August 2008, 09:03   #9

Driving on Mumbai-Pune expressway is no longer happening. Adding more points to the list of woes.

1. The right most lane is dedicated for people who just want to drive the whole length of expressway in it. I was under the assumption that the right most lane was to overtake and then come back in the middle lane .
2. Noticed quite a bunch of potholes!!!! on the expressway.
3. Vehicles occupy 2 lanes at a time.
4. Light signals are never noticed, one has to honk.
5. Off late have seen 2 wheelers on the expressway!!!

Agree with Kumar, Baroda-Ahmedabad is just amazing to drive on.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

when i drive my alto lxi on cemented expressway at speed of 105km/hr, i feel vibrations at streering, but while i travel on gq which has tar road, i don't feel vibrations at 110km/hr.
surface condition of expressway is not at par.
Old 19th August 2008, 17:46   #11
BHPian

There are some stretches which have gone bad. There are pot holes in the extreme left lane. Although it looks like they are trying to cover those, still feel Rs 140/- can help in improving that condition a lot better.
Old 19th August 2008, 18:10   #12
BHPian

@danalan- completly agree with you. Its very frustrating to see cars do 70-80 kmph in the right most lane. these guys just dont budge.

Just got back from Pune on Sunday; 140 bucks for TOLL . DAYLIGHT ROBBERY. just not worth it.
Old 19th August 2008, 18:11   #13
BHPian

I am a regular traveler on the expressway.
Monday mornings from Thane to Pune
Friday evenings from Pune to Thane.
Friday evening drives are mostly after it turns dark.
I cant stop complaining in spite of the roads reducing my travel time by ages.
Though my plan of being back with family and friends on the weekend is only posible due to the Expressway.

My list of rants for the expressway.

1) the joints at bridges is totally uncomfortable.Not that it has deteriorated, but its really scary at the speeds we travel. car just flies/jumps at most of the bridges. Very very taxing for the suspension.

2)Mindless people using the hazard lights in tunnels and all the way in the first lane as well. Even people with mercs,beemers and the like . I always had a misconception that people who buy expensive cars knew a bit more about how to use them . Damn my misconceptions.

3) lane crossing and overtaking from left

4) waterlogging in the first lane and second . Had a scary moment when the rains reduced visibilty and My car aqquapalned inspite of a speed of just 70.

5)section near valvan dam bridge when cars enter from lonavla has been riddled by potholes only the first lane is worth driving in which by default gets hogged by slow moving trucks.

6)not responding to light flashes and horns in the overtaking lane.

7) useless bushes in the center divider. Cant stop even the low beams forget the high beams of the morons on the other side.

8) Overspeeding small cars who lack the handling and just fly from one lane to another without control,most noticeably the Wagon-Rs

9) Trucks and Buses driving in the night without a working tail light. Scares the **** out off me when i see a truck chugging slowly in the middle lane and is visible only a couple of seconds before i dive into another lane to duck it. I believe every such truck driver be handed a fine at each entry point and a huge Reflective sticekr saying "Main Gadha Hoon" to stick on the back

can just go on and on but just restrained myself remembering the beautiful sights of nature the road gives me early mornings in the monsoons.
Old 20th August 2008, 14:18   #14
bhp
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
7. anyone tried out the emergency mobile number or the road-side emergency phone booths?
yes i have tried in a couple of occasions but nobody is interested in answering

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks