Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2008, 10:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

I've seen many of the Mall roads in Mussoorie, Nainitaal, Shimla etc. many times over and they all are the same except for a thing or two that is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post
Also Mall roads in different hill stations like Shimla, Manali, Nainital etc have its own charm.
Old 16th September 2008, 11:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

GD Saab, they are all the same because you have seen them many times over .

I am not getting emotional about mall roads, as I am tagged in team-bhp for doing that hee hee hee, but I observed most of my friends do not visit these places because they are so accustomed of big malls and large shopping marts that these market does not charm them.

I guess very personal to me or I am still very old fashioned. Or as I am a foodie and can do anything for tasy food, in restaurant or on carts/wheelies, which I find in these markets.

I know you get all of these in city, again a debatable point, but I sill love to have a banana split ice cream with lots of cherries in Nainital Mall road instead of Baskin Robin in Gurgaon malls

thats the dot for my case... Sorry of off topic.

Please continue helping the request..

BTW if you pocket permits, try exploring the Holiday Inn option, never stayed there, but heard they have very good accommodation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
I've seen many of the Mall roads in Mussoorie, Nainitaal, Shimla etc. many times over and they all are the same except for a thing or two that is different.

Last edited by rkbharat : 16th September 2008 at 11:20.
Old 16th September 2008, 12:59   #18
Senior - BHPian

My intention was not to deride. My contention was, you've seen one and you've seen all.

I love the choorans with the 'masaala' that they sell on wooden stands on the Naini Mall.

Quote:
GD Saab, they are all the same because you have seen them many times over .

I know you get all of these in city, again a debatable point, but I sill love to have a banana split ice cream with lots of cherries in Nainital Mall road instead of Baskin Robin in Gurgaon malls
Old 17th September 2008, 07:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

I stayed in the Ambassador last year in Manali. Was good but very expensive.

I have heard Hadimba Cottages are good. Its about 2000 rupees a night. But they are always booked.

One question - Why have you chosen December ?? It's going to be spine chillingly cold !! I went there in Feb - March Last year and it was Snowing !! It was hellishly cold !! I cannot imagine what December will be like. Also Rotang Pass will be closed.

Whenever you go there - Try the Johnson Cafe ( It is near the Hadimba Temple ). The food and coffee with chocloate cake is simply divine.
Old 17th September 2008, 11:56   #20
Senior - BHPian

Yes Sir, I see your point .

I missed that chooran. Every time we go there, my wife always buy those perfumed candles, near the ground, in front of Naina devi temple. They claim its local made, but I doubt
Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
My intention was not to deride. My contention was, you've seen one and you've seen all.

I love the choorans with the 'masaala' that they sell on wooden stands on the Naini Mall.
Old 19th September 2008, 13:22   #21
BHPian

Stayed at Banon Resort couple of years ago in the month of Feb (dont remember the year). I would strongly recommend this place for the awesome service and hospitality.

The dinner and breakfast were part of the package and it was not a buffet. They actually allowed us to order anything from the menu and provided room service. Who would want to venture out in that cold weather outside the warm confines of your room especially early mornings and nights.

Its a 5 minute walk up a slopy road though from the market. Good views.
Old 20th September 2008, 15:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Risa, Now that you have mentioned the Banon Resorts, it brings back fond memories. A truly nice place with a good bar and hospitality. In July 1999 myself and wifey had our honeymoon there.

All this talk makes me want to go to Manali once more.
Old 20th September 2008, 18:35   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
lancer_rit, IMHO, if you are with kid, its difficult to convince them the scenery is good and eat whatever in in hotel. They want to see markets, crowds, lights, shops and lots of different kind of foods.

My daughter feels very happy when she is in market and see lot so different colorful things.

Also Mall roads in different hill stations like Shimla, Manali, Nainital etc have its own charm. When was the last time you had gol gappas in the december in Manali or Shimla .

So my rule is, stay away from markets but visit the mall roads and markets near by to enjoy the food, shops, people etc
rkbharat, I make it to the hills frequently (albeit in the South now). Last trip in Himalayas was to Manali in 2006 and Gangotri in 2005.
I didnot mean don't visit and/or shop @ mall road, just don't stay at/near it. The last time I did it in Mussoorie (and also Ooty) was because I could only find acco there, and it was not a good experience. To stay @ a hill station, and not see the hills and green cover, isn't to my taste.

Anyways, to each his own :-)
Old 21st September 2008, 11:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satyam View Post
Travelling with kids and as usual they always need to be near different eating joints and shops to fool around, specially after coming back from sight seeing tours.

Can you suggest, whether to book Hadimba Huts (HPTDC), 1.5 to 2 Kms from the Mall Road or Hotel Kanjum(HPTDC) / Hotel Piccadily,
Satyam, the Kunzam would be your best bet. But do hurry; rooms are already getting booked!
Check it and do it online here: HPTDC - Online Hotels Reservation System
Old 24th December 2009, 20:35   #25
BHPian

Manali query!

Hi guys,
I am getting married this Feb and am planning to go to Manali for my honeymoon! Initially we had almost finalized kerala for our honeymoon but things turned out differently!

Currently the plan is to travel by air to Delhi and then hire a cab to Manali and stay there for four/five days and rent a local cab again and roam there. Then return back again through air.

So I need you guys to suggest ways to improve this plan and other details that I am missing. And FYI, this is my first trip up north so I would also like to know the must see places over there!

I would also be grateful if you can suggest accommodation/hotel in Manali for the stay and the contact details if you have them!

And we are planning to go there in the first week of April-2010.

Thanks in Advance!!!
Old 24th December 2009, 21:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSaran View Post
Hi guys,
I am getting married this Feb and am planning to go to Manali for my honeymoon! Initially we had almost finalized kerala for our honeymoon but things turned out differently!

Currently the plan is to travel by air to Delhi and then hire a cab to Manali and stay there for four/five days and rent a local cab again and roam there. Then return back again through air.

So I need you guys to suggest ways to improve this plan and other details that I am missing. And FYI, this is my first trip up north so I would also like to know the must see places over there!

I would also be grateful if you can suggest accommodation/hotel in Manali for the stay and the contact details if you have them!

Thanks in Advance!!!
Del-Manali is a very long drive(close to 15hours+)would recco breaking it up as Del-Shimla/Shimla-Manali and on your way back you could choose to either come back via Amritsar or else Manali-Chandigarh / Chandigargh-Delhi.

Would also recco to keep the same car for your entire journey rather than hire separate cars at diff places(doesnt make economical sense hiring at different places).Having the same car would ensure that you can pace your journey as per your moods & fancies.

I can safely reccomend the Quality Inn River Country at Manali.Pls pm me in case you need contacts etc of the place.

Congrats & have a safe trip

you can refer to this t-logue as well,something that I eperienced during my trip http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...delhi-hyd.html

Stock up on apple juice to avoid throwing up in the hills
Old 24th December 2009, 21:36   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSaran View Post
Hi guys,

Thanks in Advance!!!
What is the budget that you are planning? Accordingly there are many. Also April is a good time to go.
Old 24th December 2009, 22:19   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What is the budget that you are planning? Accordingly there are many. Also April is a good time to go.
The budget right now is around 40k. Will that be enough???

Thanks in advance!
Old 24th December 2009, 22:22   #29
BHPian

Those wooden cabins near Hidimba temple, are these which you guys refer to as Hidimba Huts? Ahh they bring back some great memories!

@the OP
If your children aren't too young, go for the cabins, they're fantastic! Hotel Beas is also nice where you can hear the river from your room. Have a great trip!
Old 24th December 2009, 22:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Del-Manali is a very long drive(close to 15hours+)would recco breaking it up as Del-Shimla/Shimla-Manali and on your way back you could choose to either come back via Amritsar or else Manali-Chandigarh / Chandigargh-Delhi.

Would also recco to keep the same car for your entire journey rather than hire separate cars at diff places(doesnt make economical sense hiring at different places).Having the same car would ensure that you can pace your journey as per your moods & fancies.

I can safely reccomend the Quality Inn River Country at Manali.Pls pm me in case you need contacts etc of the place.

Congrats & have a safe trip

you can refer to this t-logue as well,something that I eperienced during my trip http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...delhi-hyd.html

Stock up on apple juice to avoid throwing up in the hills
Thanks so much for all the information! I would definitely carry a bucket load of apple juice! I think coming back via Amritsar would be more interesting than coming via chandigarh.. Am I right? I mean, are there any places in and around chandigarh that we can visit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Not sure if my earlier post went thru, so here it goes again. My budget is around 40-50k. Will that be enough?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks