Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2008, 22:48   #1
BHPian

Kannur to Mumbai and Back

I was planning to go to Mumbai day after tomorrow and return the same day. Now, I wanted to take the car, for a change. So, I need to know few things like directions, hotels, pointers etc.

Please note,
- I have prior experience of going by road but that was few years ago. So I appreciate if anyone could shed some light. Last time we went, we started from Kannur in the evening, reached Manglore at night, stayed there. Started the next morning at 6, through udupi but I don't exactly remember where we jumped to the banglore-mumbai expressway (anyone ?). Reached Pune by 8.
- I am planning to start early from my hometown (perinthalmanna) then pick up my friend at Kannur.
- I just have few hours Job at Mumbai and then I'm free to return back.
- Its not a sight seeing trip, just go there and come back.
- I am taking my friends Accent, but I wanted to take my WagonR, what are your thoughts on that ? How much will the petrol cost for the round trip journey (back to Kannur) ?
- We don't want to drive at night. So, some decent hotels are appreciated. (Not )
- Any thing I should take care of, Keep in mind etc. ?
- Any reason you might think I should avoid this journey ?
Old 17th September 2008, 23:31   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder View Post
The Kasargod- Udupi stretch (around 110Kms) is in bad shape due to the rains and the Highway construction. Would recommend you to avoid a road journey at this time.
Old 18th September 2008, 00:59   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iWonder View Post
I was planning to go to Mumbai day after tomorrow and return the same day. Now, I wanted to take the car, for a change. So, I need to know few things like directions, hotels, pointers etc.

Please note,
- I have prior experience of going by road but that was few years ago. So I appreciate if anyone could shed some light. Last time we went, we started from Kannur in the evening, reached Manglore at night, stayed there. Started the next morning at 6, through udupi but I don't exactly remember where we jumped to the banglore-mumbai expressway (anyone ?). Reached Pune by 8.
- I am planning to start early from my hometown (perinthalmanna) then pick up my friend at Kannur.
- I just have few hours Job at Mumbai and then I'm free to return back.
- Its not a sight seeing trip, just go there and come back.
- I am taking my friends Accent, but I wanted to take my WagonR, what are your thoughts on that ? How much will the petrol cost for the round trip journey (back to Kannur) ?
- We don't want to drive at night. So, some decent hotels are appreciated. (Not )
- Any thing I should take care of, Keep in mind etc. ?
I have driven from Kanhangad (little north of Kannur) to Bombay, morning to evening, via the Goa road.

But now the fastest route is for you to change over from NH157 to NH63 at Ankola and join NH4 at Hubli, instead of going via Goa.

In case you take the Goa route, if you are a relaxed driver, Goa could be a good place to halt. If going on the NH63/NH4 route, you could halt at Hubli or Belgaum.

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS South India, Jan 2005

Check out this log book, has the Trivandrum-Kannur-Goa-Bombay route. You will notice I have done TVM-Bombay in 26 hours non-stop, and Kannur (4 am) to Bombay (10 pm), via Goa. Had I come via Hubli, I would have saved 2 hours.

I can email you the Udupi-Ankola-Hubli-Bombay route (NH17/NH63/NH4) route. Please PM me your email id.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks