Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2008, 11:17   #1
LLL
BHPian

Ranthambore query

Has anyone visited Ranthambore NP? Will appreciate any pointers for good places to stay, where to book safaris and best route from delhi?

thanks
Old 1st October 2008, 12:15   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Has anyone visited Ranthambore NP? Will appreciate any pointers for good places to stay, where to book safaris and best route from delhi?

thanks
Hi,

I went to Ranthambore two years ago, by train. Ranthamobore is about 14 KMs from Sawai Madhopur town. This 14 KM stretch is dotted with many hotels/resorts. I stayed in Hammir wildlife resort. You can google it to get it's contact number, RTDC guest house is also good. Usually the resorts themselves book safaris for you. There are two kinds of safaris - Gypsys and Canters. Probability of spotting tigers is higher in gypsy safari, but usually they are always over-booked for foreigners.

If you want any other specific info, please ask.

\N
Old 5th October 2008, 18:12   #3
BHPian

If going by road then the route will be Delhi -Jaipur (NH-8) - Tonk (NH12) - Uniara - Sawai Madhopur.

Tonk to Sawai Madhopur stretch is a problem due to not so good roads.

I had done Ranthambore in May'08. Please refer to my thread below. Hope it will help

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ipur-trip.html
Old 6th October 2008, 01:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

and advise on sightings in the month of nov end please too
Old 2nd January 2010, 03:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Bumping this thread up with my query.

Me and a couple of my friends are deciding on a trip to Ranthambhore. We basically have 5-6 days at hand and want to get out of Delhi. The trip would be around 14-15 January, so the hills are out of question.

Are there any other places that we could visit which are a bit away from Delhi? We guys have tentatively settled on Ranthambhore, but I do not know if one can spend 3-4 days there. Should we move on from there to some other place?

Also, please guide as regards the route and the road condition. We'll be taking my Scorpio.

If Ranthambhore is a good idea, please let me know the best place to stay in. We won't be looking for anything expensive, just clean sheets and clean washrooms. Also, what else can be done other than a Safari and how do I go about booking one?

Thanks a lot!

Waiting for HVK and other Gurus to comment...
Old 2nd January 2010, 09:34   #6
BHPian

Best place to stay in Ranthambore is the RTDC Mayur which is approx 7kms from the Madhopur Railway station. An added advantage of staying here is that the bookings of the Forest Dept Gypsies and Canters are done from within the Campus of the RTDC Mayur and they leave from here too: a huge advantage. If you are staying anywhere else then you have to make your way to the RTDC for the safari.

2 safaris a day: 6 to 10 in the morning and 3 to 630 in the evening. Each time upto 10 Gypsys are allowed in. You can book the Gypsies in advance online through the RTDC site. There are 6 demarcated routes in the forest and as per the rules only 2 gypsies are allowed on each route in one slot. There is a token system where tourists have to pick a token randomly from a bag so as to give everyone a fair chance.

Route Number 3 is the perennial favorite with everyone, because that Route is the territory of atleast 2 breeding females and hence the chances of increased sightings. Route 3 also has the most scenic views overall. From personal experience however, Route No 6, supposedly the worst of the 5 routes has ALWAYS been lucky for me: have got sightings EVERYTIME i went on this route!

best way to reach here from Mumbai or Delhi is to take the AK Rajdhani which has a stop here. The Mumbai Rajdhani reaches at 5 in the morning and if it is on time, you can actually make the morning safari! The Delhi raj reaches by 8 in the evening.

Hope this helped.
Old 2nd January 2010, 12:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot.

It does help indeed! What are the rates like at RTDC Mayur? And the rates for the Gypsies?

Being off-season what rates can we hope to get? (it is off-season, right?)

Btw, we are planning to drive down from Delhi. I hope it is a plausible plan!
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:27   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
Thanks a lot.

It does help indeed! What are the rates like at RTDC Mayur? And the rates for the Gypsies?

Being off-season what rates can we hope to get? (it is off-season, right?)

Btw, we are planning to drive down from Delhi. I hope it is a plausible plan!
On the contrary its the peak season right now. So expect the rates to be on the higher side. Off season should start after March, you can expect discounts then and not now.

From Delhi, take NH8 to Jaipur and from Jaipur take NH12 towards Tonk/Kota. From Tonk leave NH12 and take NH116 for Sawai Madhopur (single road and bad).

NH8 is also in very bad state these days due to widening and fly over construction at Behror and Kotputli. Last week people have taken anywhere between 6-8 hrs doing Jaipur-Delhi. From Jaipur to Sawai Madhopur will be another 3 hours or so.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by deky : 2nd January 2010 at 13:39.
Old 2nd January 2010, 13:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

Oh! That can't be good.

Still, what rates am I looking at. We would probably go in for a normal dbl room and an extra bed.
Old 2nd January 2010, 18:31   #10
BHPian

gypsies are usually 400 bucks a person per trip. If the load is heavy, the Forest Dept may choose to send a canter instead of a gypsy which can take 30 people at one go and charge is 200 or so. The canter is less personal but has the advantage of being free of the route restrictions.

if its an all-adult group, then the canter might actually be better.

RTDC mayur rates are quite reasonable (450 to 750 range) as compared to the couple of thousand charged outside. But the bigger problem is availibility. There is another RTDC hotel that is partially inside the forest with a fantastic location. But you will still need to spend an hour to get to Mayur everyday for your safari.
Old 2nd January 2010, 18:53   #11
BHPian

The route from Jaipur to Tonk is under construction right now, so you would be better off avoiding it. You can take NH-11 from Jaipur and turn right from Dausa towads Lalsot then to Sawai Madhopur.

This was the route I took couple of weeks ago while returning from Ranthambore.

For staying the best option is RTDC Jhoomar Baori, which falls within the reserve area of the forest. You would be able see some animal within the hotel campus itself. Mr. Singh the Manager still has couple of my CDs you can always ask him to play it for you. (provided you like Suresh Wadekar and Ghulam Ali).

It is advisable to get the safari bookings done online. Both the Jeep and the Canter cost the same. If you go for a Jeep the guide and the driver would be able to pay better attention towards you. And irrespective of where you stay, the Jeep/Canter would come and pick you up from your hotel.

Let me know if you need any specific information.

Cheers!!
Old 2nd January 2010, 19:16   #12
Senior - BHPian

Oh thanks a lot for the details guys.

Now the trouble is, after a chat with HVK sir I am in two minds about Ranthambhor.

We aren't great wildlife enthusiasts as I have seen enough of it in the hills and am not a big time Tiger fan either.

HVK sir suggested we go to Jaisalmer instead. I like the idea of a long drive very much but would love it if you guys can tell me which is the more fun option.

We have 4-5 days ... stretchable to 6. All three are final year engineering students, so no great hassles about AC accommodation and stuff. All we'll need is a safe parking and clean wahsrooms.

Plus, we would want to keep the costs low.

Open to suggestions for other places too.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:27   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
All three are final year engineering students, so no great hassles about AC accommodation and stuff. All we'll need is a safe parking and clean wahsrooms.

Plus, we would want to keep the costs low.

Open to suggestions for other places too.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys!
have a look at what this has to offer

Welcome to Saharia Organic Resort and Farms. Jaipur, Rajasthan, India.
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think this is a great time to go to Jaisalmer. Not a very expensive place. Options to stay out in the outdoors and take camel safaris/ OTR drives. You can go via Bikaner or Jodhpur, which could be the ideal overnight halts.
Old 2nd January 2010, 22:49   #15
Senior - BHPian

With boys, I'd much rather say Jodhpur-Jaisalmer - Bikaner and back. Ranthambore seating is always at a premium: http://www.rajasthanwildlife.in/make...ate=2010-01-15 - check here.

Alternatively, get happy in Manali and play in snow Boys just want to have fun, no?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks