Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2008, 17:47   #1
Senior - BHPian

Requesting information for Kerala road trip

Friends,

I am told that the best time -from the perspective of good weather- to visit the South is winter.

So I intend to drive to Kerala in the month of December from Mumbai. Total time available for the full trip including return is maximum 18days.
I wish to tour all the places of interest in Kerala. This includes in the order of priority:
Scenic hills and mountains.
Forests.
Lakes, rivers, backwaters.
Temples and other places of tourist interest.

The intention is to SEE Kerela.
I do not know how to go about planning the trip with regards to the routes.
Im looking forward to the following information and assistance.
1. A route plan that makes it more like a round trip covering as much as I can considering the short time that I have. Short detours may be included.
2. Budget places to stay in the places that I visit.
3. If possible a day 1, day2 type plan will be most helpful.

I also hope to be able to meet as many of TBhpians on this trip as possible along the way.

Any guidance, information and assistance from all our members will be highly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Jay
Old 6th October 2008, 17:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

jay - firstly, its KerAla, not KerEla. For more information on pronounciation, contact Bhaiyyaji Tyrewalla.

Secondly, if you're based in Mumbai and are planning to visit the state, the best way would be to drive down NH17 which is very scenic and will also give you a slice of Coastal Karnataka (where is Samurai???) before you get into Kerala. Again, Kerala is long rather than broad, therefore you will be able to see much of the state while driving down, starting from Kasargode, thru Mahe, (detour to) Wayanad and downwards thru the regular tourist circuit. Your trip could go like this:

1. Bekal Fort, Kasargode. There are more sights around Kasaragode, Zak will guide you as this is his sasuraal.

2. St. Angelo's, Kannur (if you want to see one more old fort), snake park, etc

3. Mahe / Tellicherry

4. Detour to Wayanad, spend a day or two there.

5. Return from Wayanad via Nilambur, parts of Palghat.

6. Trichur and surroundings have some ancient temples and other historic stuff. The devout chaps visit Guruvayoor, if you do that visit the Rajah Island resort nearby and drive back down NH17 to Cochin through some really narrow and winding roads that include Kodungallur (Musiris to the ancient Greeks and Arabs, Cranganore to the Portuguese, Dutch and English - ancient port that is no longer a port) which is home to both the oldest Mosque and the oldest Synagogue in India.

7. Cochin (meet the team there, they will take you around. stay in the treehouse homestay) - lots to do in and around the city.

8. Munnar

9. Thekkady

10. Thru Vagamon to Kottayam and Kumarakom, stay at Philipkutty's Farm , Exclusive and Special Hideaway : Home stay : Farm : Nature : Eco - Tourism, Kerala, India

11. Alleppey if you want to do more of the same stuff you do in Kumarakom

12. Kollam, more of boating

13. Varkala

14. Trivandrum and surroundings including Kovalam etc

By this time you've covered a vast majority of the state excepting Palghat and Malappuram districts which dont have many 'sights' other than scenic rural beauty which is everywhere.

The good thing about the state is that tourism here is at a mature stage and you wont encounter hippie backpackers or large hordes of bus tourists. The flipside though is that accomodation is often medium to high end and can be expensive. There's lots of other options such as homestay, et al which you can plan out in advance.

Try to avoid the Sabarimala season where every place gets crowded with "pilgrim tourists" from other states. Normally neat and tidy surroundings turn into vast dumpyards during this season.

Last edited by Steeroid : 6th October 2008 at 18:12.
Old 6th October 2008, 18:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

Route plan could be as follows:

Bombay-Bangalore, 1100 kms

Bombay-NH4-Pune-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Hubli-Chitradurga-Bangalore

Bangalore-Munnar, 500 kms

Bangalore-NH7-Hosur-Krishnagiri-Dharmapuri-Toppur-Bhavani-NH47-Perunthurai-Gangeyam-Dharapuram-Udumalaipet-Munnar

Munnar-Thekkady, 100 kms

Thekkady-Kumarakom, 150 kms

Thekkady-Peeremede-Kanjirapalli-Kottayam-Kumarakom

Kumarakom-Bombay, 1500 kms

Kumarkom-Kochi-NH17-Calicut-Kannur-Mangalore-Udupi-Bhatkal-Honavar-Kumta-Ankola-Karwar-Goa-Bombay (alternatively Ankola-Hubli-Kolhapur-Bombay)

You can take extensions to visit Trivandrum/Poovar/Kanyakumari (south of Kochi) or Wayanad (east of Calicut).

Will be happy to provide you log books of my trips on all these routes.
Old 6th October 2008, 18:54   #4
BANNED

Quote:
You can take extensions to visit Trivandrum/Poovar/Kanyakumari (south of Kochi) or Wayanad (east of Calicut).
A suggestion. Take the Taliparamba - Iritty _ Kottiyoor - Mananthavady - (elsewhere in Waynad) - whatever place you want to go.

Why? You just want to drive, right? NH 17 is the beaten track. Taliparamba is between Payyannur and Kannur. Taliparamba - Iritty road was excellent couple of years back when I used to work there; Iritty - Kottyoor is just so and so; no clue about Iritty - Mananthavady sector.
Old 6th October 2008, 19:33   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Friends,

I am told that the best time -from the perspective of good weather- to visit the South is winter.

So I intend to drive to Kerala in the month of December from Mumbai. Total time available for the full trip including return is maximum 18days.
I wish to tour all the places of interest in Kerala. This includes in the order of priority:
Scenic hills and mountains.
Forests.
Lakes, rivers, backwaters.
Temples and other places of tourist interest.
I would like to change your mind that December is not a good month to visit Kerala. It would be very hot and humid.

I would suggest you to read all travelogues related to Kerala before finalizing the places. There are many untouched beauty spots available in Kerala. At least 5-6 days required to explore districts like Idukki.

So first get an idea of Kerala from travelogues and shortlist the places. Then we all will help.
Old 6th October 2008, 20:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

One small tip, often forgotten and ignored:

Keep a record of the date of entering the southern states, like toll receipts, hotel/motel bills etc., or else the traffic cop will haul you up for having not paid the road tax of the state, unless the regn of your vehicle is KL..
Old 6th October 2008, 21:08   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Keep a record of the date of entering the southern states, like toll receipts, hotel/motel bills etc., or else the traffic cop will haul you up for having not paid the road tax of the state, unless the regn of your vehicle is KL
Not a bad thing to do, but this happen in Kerala?
Old 6th October 2008, 21:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post

Keep a record of the date of entering the southern states, like toll receipts, hotel/motel bills etc., or else the traffic cop will haul you up for having not paid the road tax of the state, unless the regn of your vehicle is KL..
While on that topic, please be warned that in TN, all UV/SUVs with out of State registration are harassed on the pretext that a private vehicle is being used as a taxi - cops there think that SUVs cannot be used for personal purposes. I have harassed thus on more than one occasion and they demand that permit fees be paid and so on.
Old 6th October 2008, 22:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

@ Steeroid > thanks for the correction > KERALA
and that is quite some information to assimilate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
I would like to change your mind that December is not a good month to visit Kerala. It would be very hot and humid.

I would suggest you to read all travelogues related to Kerala before finalizing the places. There are many untouched beauty spots available in Kerala. At least 5-6 days required to explore districts like Idukki.

So first get an idea of Kerala from travelogues and shortlist the places. Then we all will help.
A few of my friends told me that its winter in Kerala in Dec, so i decided Kerala. If its really HOT & HUMID in Dec, then i might consider Rajasthan.

Quote:

I usually keep all toll and fuel reciepts for a year.(old habit)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
While on that topic, please be warned that in TN, all UV/SUVs with out of State registration are harassed on the pretext that a private vehicle is being used as a taxi - cops there think that SUVs cannot be used for personal purposes. I have harassed thus on more than one occasion and they demand that permit fees be paid and so on.
It will be only one/two passengers. Me and dad/me and a buddy/me alone. So will that pose a problem if I can explain myself being car owner and driver with all toll and fuel reciepts as proof.

The hot and humid weather is of greater concern. Guys please advise.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

The trick is to keep them in the car and take out when needed...

Quote:

I usually keep all toll and fuel reciepts for a year.(old habit)
Dunno much about AP but in the rest 3 states it does happen. Horror stories abound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Not a bad thing to do, but this happen in Kerala?

Last edited by gd1418 : 7th October 2008 at 11:06.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:35   #11
BANNED

Quote:

December to Feb should be comfortable, IMHO; unless the weather gods decide to play spoilsport.
Old 7th October 2008, 11:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Hi GD,

> Dunno much about AP but in the rest 3 states it does happen. Horror stories > abound.

There are umpteen out of state numbered vehicles running around here for years together.

@jaysmokesleaves:

> The hot and humid weather is of greater concern. Guys please advise.

it is just past an extended though less than usual amount of rainfall here. The maximum and minimum temperatures for my town as per TV channels is 31 / 23 degree C. Since humidity is high (throughout the year) the 31 feels 40+.

Except for a relative fall in the night temperature during the Dec Feb time, you may not be able to escape the hot and humid daytime in Kerala especially in the plains and coastal areas.

But Wayanad and Idukki wil be very pleasant.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:19   #13
BHPian

At Kasaragode, along with the Bekal fort, try some backwater packages also. The Home Page-Bekal Boat Stay, Kerala, India---Houseboat service provider near Bekal Fort and Nalanda Resorts Kasargod Kerala,Kasargod hotels,kasargod resorts,Budget Hotels in Kasargod,Accommodation in Kasargod has some good boating and stay. The places are really scenic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
A suggestion. Take the Taliparamba - Iritty _ Kottiyoor - Mananthavady - (elsewhere in Waynad) - whatever place you want to go. ... Taliparamba - Iritty road was excellent couple of years back when I used to work there; Iritty - Kottyoor is just so and so; no clue about Iritty - Mananthavady sector.
The road is still in good condition. Kottiyur to Manathawadi is really scenic in morning conditions, though its little more steep than Nedumpoyil - Manathawadi road.

Quote:

I have been driving in Kerala for the last 6 years with TN or KA registration vehicles. I may be lucky some times.
Old 7th October 2008, 12:52   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Districts like Idukki and Wayanad are manageable. But other places, the humidity would be very high (as same as Mumbai). If Mumbai climate is manageable for you, then you will enjoy the stay.
Old 7th October 2008, 15:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

Pot Luck?

I have been driving all over for the past 5 years, many states and long drives. I have been stopped many times but never paid to get off; I have all the papers right and I guess its just pot luck too, hearing from stories of others.

The last episode was near Nasik on my way to Thrimbakwesar, I was checked by a patrol thoroughly, 15 mt. stop, from the body language I guessed they wanted something, I didn't give in to the intiidation and drove off after taking my papers back.

Once I was chased and caught near Goadbandhar on my way south by a motorbike cop was when I was not wearing my seat-belt; had just taken it off 3 minutes before for a pit stop, I was fined Rs.250/-, I paid, he gave a receipt, end of subject; I deserved to be fined.

Hope my luck holds out.

If you're used to Mumbai, the December humidity would not bother you too much, it cools down a lot and the hills will get chilly in the evaning and early morning.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 7th October 2008 at 15:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks