Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2008, 15:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgginish View Post
I would like to change your mind that December is not a good month to visit Kerala. It would be very hot and humid.
What is the source of this info?

December is probably the best month to visit, and its bang in the middle of the October - March tourist season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
One small tip, often forgotten and ignored:

Keep a record of the date of entering the southern states, like toll receipts, hotel/motel bills etc., or else the traffic cop will haul you up for having not paid the road tax of the state, unless the regn of your vehicle is KL..
You wont have this problem in Kerala - it is KA (Karnataka) thats famous for cops stopping vehicles to charge lifetime tax and TN that is famous for stopping most outstation vehicles for no reason.

However, it doesnt cost you anything therefore there's no reason why you shouldnt take gd's advice.
Old 7th October 2008, 16:48   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
What is the source of this info?

December is probably the best month to visit, and its bang in the middle of the October - March tourist season.
Source of information is from my 30 years of living experience in Kerala. December to April would be the hottest season in Kerala (at least in Coastal areas)
Old 7th October 2008, 16:57   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Source of information is from my 30 years of living experience in Kerala. December to April would be the hottest season in Kerala (at least in Coastal areas)
The hottest months are March thru May. December is even a wee bit chilly in the mornings, but hey its a free country so you may feel otherwise.
Old 7th October 2008, 17:59   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Oh god; which state was I living in past 3 and half decades?

/me bangs heads and goes to wikimapia.org to check if Ernakulam (32 years), Wadakkancherry / Trichur (2 years) and Kannur (1 year) are in Kerala.

FakeEdit:- yes, they are.
Old 7th October 2008, 18:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Oh god; which state was I living in past 3 and half decades?
Why blame God? Its a State of mind
Old 7th October 2008, 18:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

> the December humidity would not bother you too much, it cools down a lot
> and the hills will get chilly in the evaning and early morning.

last year at least, Munnar had come close to 0 degree C on a couple of nights, If I remmeber correctly.
Old 7th October 2008, 19:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys .. now that we have reached an agreement on the weather being okay, can some one help with a route guide.

A friend suggested a round trip to go like this> (excuse if the names are not correctly spelt)
Kovalam > Quelon > Alleppy > Kottayam > Thekkady > Kochi.

1. Is this a good round trip ?
2. What can be an alternative trip ?
3. How do I include Kanyakumari in the route ?
Old 7th October 2008, 19:36   #23
BANNED

Quote:

It is Kollam (traditional pronounciation) / Quilon (Anglicised).

Kanyakumari > NH47 to Balaramapuram > turn left (can somebody post the land marks here?) > Byepass to Kovalam > Kollam > etc.

KK is the Southern most tip. It either has to be the beginning or at the end.

I cannot make up mind on whether you are saving distance / time by taking this route - hope somebody else will.
Old 7th October 2008, 21:34   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Thanks guys .. now that we have reached an agreement on the weather being okay, can some one help with a route guide.

A friend suggested a round trip to go like this> (excuse if the names are not correctly spelt)

Taking off from where I had suggested a route plan, you can supplement your itinerary as follows:

Kumarakom-Chertala (NH47)-Alapuzha-Kollam (has Astamudi Backwaters, also boating and resorts)-Trivandrum-Kovalam-Balaramapuram (NH47)-Neyyatinkara-Nagercoil-Kanyakumari. (5 hour drive, around 250 kms)

Alternatively, you can drive from Kumarakom to Kanyakumari on the M C Road (instead of NH47) via Kottayam, Chengannur, Tiruvalla, Changanaserry, Adoor, Kottarakara, Trivandrum (join NH47), Neyyatinkara, Nagercoil, Kanyakumari. (almost same distance as above)

You can cover Kovalam and Kollam on return journey when you can take NH47 from Kanyakumari to Cochin (via Nagercoil, Kovalam, Trivandrum, Kollam, Alapuzha) and then take Nh17 all the way to Bombay via Paravur, Kodungallur, Kunnamkulam, Calicut, Kannur, Mangalore.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2008, 21:36   #25
Senior - BHPian

For further guidance, please note Old (New) names of places in Kerala:

Trivandrum (Thiruvananthapuram)
Quilon (Kollam)
Alleppy (Alapuzha)
Cochin-Ernakulam (Kochi-Ernakulam) - these are twin cities
Trichur (Trissur)
Calicut (Kozhikode)
Cannanore (Kannur)
Palghat (Palakkad)
Old 7th October 2008, 22:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

I've some plans, still in nascent stage, to make a road trip to KA, my native place to meet long lost relatives in December. My Scorp is a HR registration. I would want to be stopped by the KA cops and it would be fun with them speaking in Kannada and I answering them in chaste haryanvi and foxing them as to how this bum is giving all the right answers. And then a parting shot in kannada to stun them further.

Of course shall keep my cousin's number handy in case of things go out of hand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
You wont have this problem in Kerala - it is KA (Karnataka) thats famous for cops stopping vehicles to charge lifetime tax and TN that is famous for stopping most outstation vehicles for no reason.
Old 7th October 2008, 22:39   #27
Senior - BHPian

Never had any problems on the highways in Karnataka, except for the KA-GA CP between Karwar and Canacona, where I have always had to make a "entry".
Old 8th October 2008, 09:02   #28
BANNED

Quote:
I would want to be stopped by the KA cops and it would be fun with them speaking in Kannada and I answering them in chaste haryanvi and foxing them as to how this bum is giving all the right answers. And then a parting shot in kannada to stun them further.
You better not.

At least know the limits. Getting too far can give very nasty results.
Old 9th October 2008, 09:54   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Never had any problems on the highways in Karnataka, except for the KA-GA CP between Karwar and Canacona, where I have always had to make a "entry".
True, the KA cops asks a lot about liquor and checks the boot and asks you to enter your reg number in a log book. What I was stunned was they even want the color, model and manufacturer of the vehicle details. But are very courteus not rough like we expected. Especially if your car is KA registered they seems to just relax in their attitude towards you.

But with a MH registered car behind me, I could see they becoming more stringent.
Old 9th October 2008, 10:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Oooh, I'm already loving it.... Looking forward to a tete-a-tete between a kannadiga who speaks chaste haryanvi & punjabi and a true blue kannadiga.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
You better not.

At least know the limits. Getting too far can give very nasty results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
True, the KA cops asks a lot about liquor and checks the boot and asks you to enter your reg number in a log book. What I was stunned was they even want the color, model and manufacturer of the vehicle details. But are very courteus not rough like we expected. Especially if your car is KA registered they seems to just relax in their attitude towards you.

But with a MH registered car behind me, I could see they becoming more stringent.

Last edited by gd1418 : 9th October 2008 at 10:57.

Most Viewed