Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2008, 17:13   #1
BHPian

Easy & Scenic route to Coorg from Trivandrum

Hi All,
I am enquiring this route on behalf of my friend who is coming on vacation to Trivandrum in December. He is planning a trip with his wife, his friend & his wife from Trivandrum to Coorg. He has 7 days marked for this trip. He wants to know -
1) Which is the easiest route from Trivandrum to Coorg?
2) Which is the most scenic route from Trivandrum to Coorg?
3) The total distance & condition of the roads
4) Will the route require overnight stay in between or can it be done in one stretch (with short breaks of course!)?
5) Places to visit in Coorg in around 5 days.(I am assuming 2 days for travel). Ok, on this point I have already given some ideas to him, but if somebody can give places to see while coming from the Trivandrum side, your ideas will be most helpful.
6) Good places to stay along with family in Coorg (with room rents, if possible)

Guys, pl. don't let me down as I have given a high opinion about Team-Bhp to him.

Thanks
Ranjith
Old 13th October 2008, 20:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

The easiest route from Trivandrum to Coorg is as follows:

- NH47 from Trivandrum to Ernakulam
- Take NH17 at Edapalli, where the Ernakulam bypass ends
- Go on Nh17 via Paravur, Kodungallur, Chavakkad, Kunnamkulam, Valancherry, Feroke to Calicut
- Turn off Nh17 at Calicut (option to take Calicut bypass), and take the Wayanad road
- Go on Wayanad road via Vythiri, Kalpetta to Manathavady
- From Mananthavady, proceed via Kartikulam to Kutta in Karnataka - you are now in Coorg (Kodagu District)

From Kutta, you can go on to Gonikoppal/Ammathi/Siddapura or Madikeri, depending on where you propose to stay.

The only bad roads - small stretch - are in the Kerala-Karnataka border between Kartikulam and Kutta. This is a WLS and wildlife sightings (tusker, bison) are common, and to be ideally avoided after dark.

It will be a hard day's drive - leave TVM early in the morning (5 am ?), so that you can make it to EKM in 4-5 hours, Calicut in another 4, Mananthavady in the next 2-3, and finally Madikeri.

In case you wish to break the journey, you could stay in the Wayanad area (budget and expensive hotels in and around Vythiri, Kalpetta and Manathavady).

As for places to visit in and around Coorg, please search the similar threads in the forum, lots of data available.
hvkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2008, 18:46   #3
BHPian

Thank you, Sir. I have already given the route map to my friend. He has started co-ordinating with his friend for finalising the routes & the stays. Most probably he will be staying in Madikeri. I also have given him the places to visit in and around Madikeri (from T-Bhp ofcourse).
Regards
Ranjith
Old 29th January 2017, 16:57   #4
BHPian

Re: Easy & Scenic route to Coorg from Trivandrum

Has anyone on the forum driven from south Kerala to Coorg recently?
These are two of the alternatives:
1. TVM-EKM-NH 17 to Thalassery-Iritty-Virajpet
2. TVM-MC road-Angamaly-Thrissur-Kozhikode-Thamarassery-Manathavady-Kutta

Is NH 66(old NH 17) faster from Ernakulam to Kozhikode than the Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-Kuttipuram route?

Thanks for your advice.
Old 29th January 2017, 20:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishk View Post

Is NH 66(old NH 17) faster from Ernakulam to Kozhikode than the Thrissur-Kunnamkulam-Kuttipuram route?

Thanks for your advice.
Has MC road repairs been completed?As for the NH66 vs NH47,I find going via Thrissur quicker,as opposed to the narrow twists and turns between Edappally and Kodungallur.You can take thrissur-Kecheri-right turn-akkikavu-perumpilavu and onwards to Kozhikode.No need to go via kunnamkulam.
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 21:25   #6
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks for your advice.
TVM-EKM-THrissur

I found following route better (particularly during day time - avoids the Private Bus)
Thrissur->Mannuthy->Jublee Mission->Patturiakkal->Poonkunam->Kechry Road->Akkikavyu->Kozhikode
kozhissery is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2017, 13:06   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
TVM-EKM-THrissur

I found following route better (particularly during day time - avoids the Private Bus)
Thrissur->Mannuthy->Jublee Mission->Patturiakkal->Poonkunam->Kechry Road->Akkikavyu->Kozhikode
From the NH,better than going all the way to Mannuthy,the below one is a far better option.

At the second flyover after the toll,keep to the left-Oushadhi to your left (do not take the flyover) and take the left turn towards East Fort Junction.

https://goo.gl/maps/eUyuMWtVyuM2
ranjitp1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2017, 10:57   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozhissery View Post
TVM-EKM-THrissur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
From the NH,better than going all the way to Mannuthy,the below one is a far better option.

At the second flyover after the toll,keep to the left-Oushadhi to your left (do not take the flyover) and take the left turn towards East Fort Junction.

https://goo.gl/maps/eUyuMWtVyuM2
Thanks ranjitp1 and kozhissery. I have some more queries:

- How long will it take to go from thrissur to Kozhikode during morning hours?
- To cross Kozhikode is it better (from Ramanattukara) to turn left towards Feroke or keep on NH66? Are there good eateries on the NH?
- Is traffic bad north of Kozhikode towards Thalassery?
Thanks again.
Old 31st January 2017, 12:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks ranjitp1 and kozhissery. I have some more queries:

- How long will it take to go from thrissur to Kozhikode during morning hours?
- To cross Kozhikode is it better (from Ramanattukara) to turn left towards Feroke or keep on NH66? Are there good eateries on the NH?
- Is traffic bad north of Kozhikode towards Thalassery?
Thanks again.
Budget for 2.5-3hrs between Thrissur and Kozhikode.There are plenty of eateries on the road,nothing to worry on that front.North Kerala is a foodie's paradise anyways.Yes traffic is heavy between Kozhikode and Thalassery.Stick to the NH17.

The easy way to do it would be for you to do TVM-Kozhikode on day 1(staying at Thrissur would be ideal,stretch it to Kozhikode depending on how fresh you are when you reach Thrissur) and then on day 2 leave Kozhikode early in the morning to reach Madikeri for lunch.(not sure where in the Coorg district is your final destination )

Thrissur-Madikeri should take you around 8-9hours of drive.

You could also consider taking the Thrissur-Wadakancheri-Shoranur-Kulappully-Pattambi-Perinthalmanna-Wandoor-Nilambur-Kalpetta-Mananthavady-Gonikoppa-Virajpet-Madikeri (with a stay in Thrissur). Traffic on this route would be less when compared to the Kozhikode-Thalassery route which sees dense traffic.The only section that you would encounter traffic on this route is between Pattambi and Perinthalmanna and between Vadapuram (jn where the perinthalmanna road meets the nilambur road)and Vazhikadavu.This route is longer by about 20kms or so.

https://goo.gl/maps/oBoERN4xMJn

If in a mood to explore,you can go via one route and return via the other.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 31st January 2017 at 12:30.
Old 31st January 2017, 21:50   #10
BHPian

We are going to Club Mahindra Virajpet. I, too, believe a long drive is a wonderful stressbuster: "Zimply drive"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

If in a mood to explore,you can go via one route and return via the other.
Good. Will try to return by an alternate route.
Old 31st January 2017, 22:38   #11
BHPian

Quote:
We are going to Club Mahindra Virajpet. I, too, believe a long drive is a wonderful stressbuster: "Zimply drive"

Good. Will try to return by an alternate route.
I recently stayed at C M Virajpet for 4 nights and it was the most beautiful resort I have ever seen till date. So much so that my Mom in Law and wife decided not to go for even the plantation trail walks and rather just stayed inside the resort walking around and having fun. I had a few swims in the pool, son cycled around, wife hit the gym a few times, the kids play area is awesome, and the best part..there is no WIFI or mobile signal to disturb you. Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by GTO : 1st February 2017 at 09:36. Reason: Typos
SX4LOVER is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 25th February 2017, 09:39   #12
BHPian

I did not know that major arterial roads in North Kerala are even more congested than the Trivandrum to Ernakulam NH. It was a pain driving all the way from Calicut bypass to Thalassery and even upto Iritty. There was an one-hour long delay at Vadakara for roadworks.
Therefore on our return from Virajpet we decided to take the long route via Mysore-Nanjangud-Chamarajnagar into TamilNad. We were pleasantly rewarded with the sighting of an elephant calf and its mother casually strolling across the road in the forest before the ghats. I was too awestruck to take a picture or video!
The descent via Dimbum ghat to Sathyamangalam was also an enjoyable drive.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks