Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2009, 16:24   #16
BHPian

cuttack to puri is the same it always was. Decent roads. but then that leaves the rest 9/10ths of your journey to find out about.
Old 19th January 2009, 16:28   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatechamp View Post
Is there any updates on road conditions to Puri-BBSR from Kolkata?

Any inputs from anybody would be so much appreciated.
We drove on the Calcutta-Bhubaneswar road in end-Dec, and we have updated the info on road conditions in the following threads.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1119624-post271.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1119301-post261.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1120601-post295.html
On the drive from Calcutta-Vizag

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1124964-post404.html
Some more info on road conditions

H V Kumar - Driving Log Books - KUMAR'S DRIVING LOG BOOKS,*Golden Quadrilateral (GQ) Drive, Dec 2008
In case you want to refer the route details for Calcutta-Bhubaneswar.

Overall, nothing to worry about. The West Bengal leg is superb, but once you cross Baleshwar in Orissa, expect bad roads till Bhadrak.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:09   #18
BHPian

Back in this thread after a long time.So sorry for that.

I want to thank hvkumar, akroy, thebagchi, ADC, senindra and all the others who have given me guidance and route information for this drive.

I took this particular drive on 23rd January 2009.I had it in the planning stages for quite sometime,but work related problems made me defer it time and again.

Starting the journey:

Took car to workshop the previous day and got everything checked.Got a service done.Bought CDs,cigarettes,mouth-freshners,cold drinks,chips and other snacks and filled the tank upto the brim late in the night.Mum insisted I get a good nights sleep,but I was on Team-bhp till quite late in the night,getting last minute advices.
Although we planned to start the earliest,we could not start till about 7.30am.I got up late actually.

The Journey:

Drive from home upto Kona Expressway was a breeze.Kona was in a bad shape with numerous craters and potholes all over.And,boy,oh boy! Kona was full of weekend and holiday traffic.Scores of Innovas and Taveras and Sumos were jostling for spaces on this stretch.Actually it was a 5 day long holiday weekend and I guess everyone was trying to get out of the city at the same time.

NH-6 was in good shape as always although traffic was quite heavy.We decided to have home-made breakfast at the Reliance A1 plaza just beyond Uluberia,as there was the infamous Kolaghat bridge traffic jam coming up shortly.I drove at about 130ish and reached Reliance A1 dhaba pretty soon.The parking lot was sparsely filled up at about 9am.Had breakfast and saw most cars whizzing by on the highway.Started from there sedately in about 40mins,and reached the long queue of cars and trucks at kolaghat.We did the right thing to have food first,and then get stuck in the jam as there is no bathroom or food shops available at kolaghat,and people were seen running here and there for their needs,and plenty disappearing behind trees and bushes!Kolaghat itself has only a handful of chai-ka-dukan and few people selling local home-made chops.The famous Sher-e-Punjab dhaba is a little further away beyond the bridge.
Second Hooghly Bridge Toll Plaza-Kolaghat: 57.6 Kms.

We were stuck there for about 40 minutes,although standing in queue on the other side.The trucks are allowed on the up side,and private cars allowed in a single row on the down side.As soon as traffic was thrown open on this side,there was a mad rush to reach the bridge and cross it.We crossed the bridge and zoomed on,whereas loads of cars and SUVs stopped on the other side eateries for food.

The highway beyond Kolaghat thermal power station is lovely and in no time we reached a junction where the road gets divided into two.The left one goes straight through Panskura into Midnapore whereas NH-6 is the one on the right.We reached Kharagpur junction and took the right exit,which is the right exit.As because the left goes straight through Kharagpur town and is a long detour.I was a bit confused here and so rang ADC da.He guided me to the correct road and we were spared the ordeal of getting into Kharagpur town.
Upto Kharagpur: 112 Kms.

From here onwards,its NH-60 right upto Bhubaneshwar,and not NH-6. After crossing Kharagpur,the road surface changed to concrete and it was a pleasure to drive.I pushed upto 145+ Kmph and was frequently admonished for that.We crossed Belda in no time and fast pushing into Jaleshwar.
Upto Belda : 151 Kms.

Jaleshwar is basically Bengal-Orissa border and we were warned by everybody about the stupid toll Orissa Govt. was collecting.As we reached Jaleshwar,there was a long queue of trucks on both sides of the highway,but I honked my way through thanks to the pair of Hella Red Grills.I reached the barricade and had to get down to go into a shanty (yes,its a shanty made of dried leaves compared to the amount of toll these persons are collecting daily!) to pay toll.I managed to pick up a verbal fight,but they were pretty adamant.Either pay toll or go back.The other option is to go through a long detour through Baripada and quite a bit of jungle to avoid this tax.I finally paid Rs 800 and was given a receipt in Oriya for the same.This particular receipt is valid for 6 months from the date of issue.It is issued by Additional RTO,Balasore.
Upto Jaleshwar: 179 Kms.

We did start from there pronto to make up for the lost time.Road condition was pretty good except innumerable diversions here and there.These diversions are very prone to accidents,especially at night.We infact saw two trucks in a grissly head-on collision,which had allegedly happened 2 hours before we passed the spot.Police was there,bypassing the spot for traffic on the highway.

We finally drove into Balasore at about 1.45pm and stopped at a Assam Oil petrol pump.The owner,a very very nice young chap named Ravi Saraf,whom I befriended immediately took us to another petrol pump he owns about 300 yards away.He offered us nice chai and we sat in his AC office for about half an hour.He has a splendid collection of rare books and guns.He promised that next time we come this way,he is going to arrange a visit to Simlipal for us.We had lunch there,and started at about 2.30pm finally.
Upto Balasore: 236 Kms.

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 15th April 2009 at 15:14.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:50   #19
BHPian

I forgot to add that I took 15.95 liters of petrol at Rs.40.75/L to fill up the tank again at the Assam Oil outlet,which is a division of IOC.

I drove pretty fast as we had almost 250 Kms more to go and good roads were about to come to an end.

The highway stretch between Balasore and Bhadrak is in a bad way with lots of places where work is incomplete.The bridges have been partially built whereas the roads leading into them are in shambles.Few stretches are quite narrow and potholed.Although NHAI website mentions that this stretch of roughly 60 Kms is incomplete,its roughly about 80 Kms of bad roads.About 10 Kms is really bad and difficult for low GC cars.Rest is motorable but nothing to be proud of for NHAI.The thing which bugged me constantly,even on the return leg of the journey,was that I never saw any road-work being done in this stretch.Why? So basically this part of the highway would remain the same for God knows how many more months.Not even in a single spot could I find work being done to make this stretch at par with the rest.We literally trundled into Bhadrak at about quarter to four in the afternoon.
Upto Bhadrak: 313 Kms.

Beyond Bhadrak,the highway is again superlative.I picked up speed and twice crossed 150+.The only thing here worth mentioning is a peculiar attitude shown by almost all two-wheelers on the highway.They come straight at you on the wrong side of the road,with their headlights on.Don't really know whats the idea behind this,but thats what happens all the time.

Scenery was very nice,although it was late January and greenery was sparse on both sides of the highway.My AC was on mostly to cut down on wind noise,and I had the ICE (Yep! It was done just before my trip) keeping us humming tune after tune most of the time,except when we were chatting amongst ourselves.

We reached Cuttack.We got down to have tea and little snacks.But we started again soon as it was already quarter to five in the evening,although sunlight was there.
Upto Cuttack: 416.3 Kms.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:23   #20
BHPian

Highway between Cuttack to Bhubaneshwar is pretty congested.There were scores of buses and two-wheelers and driving fast had to take a backseat.There are quite a few narrow bridges (over dried up rivers like Koakhai and Katjuri).We reached Bhubaneshwar finally when it was dusk.
Upto BBSR : 443 Kms.

Roads in BBSR are very very congested at half past 5ish in the evening.Loads of two-wheelers,local public transport,lots of trucks going towards Chennai etc all fight for whatever limited road space there is available.I had to drive sedately without an option.Finally there comes a huge roundabout where to move towards Puri,one has to take the third exit.The fourth exit continues towards Chennai.The highway changes here as BBSR-Puri highway is NH-203.This particular road surface is pretty ok,but there are innumerable twists and turns of the road.Traffic is pretty dense and as it was dark already,almost all the cars,SUVs,and local buses comes straight at you at breakneck speed with their high beams on.I had no option but to light up my fogs as well as low beams.Intermittent switching between high and low did the trick for me more than often due to the wattage of my headlight bulbs.

One thing one needs to be careful of is the amount of cycle and motorbikes travelling in the front with non-existent backlights.So when a car comes with its high beams on,straight at you,be very cautious as you won't get the space to swerve to the left.The road goes through Sakhigopal and quite a few densely populated crossings.About 20 odd Kms from Puri,there is a narrow broken bridge over the river Daya,on which only one vehicle is allowed to pass at a time.But surprisingly,there wasn't any traffic jam at the place.We crossed Pipli,which was a very densely populated stretch once again.We crossed Raghurajpur,and was nearing Puri.

Finally there was a road sign,which we could read because of my headlights,which said "Welcome to Puri".We were so very pleased,but drove on through the winding roads of Puri town right upto 'Bada-danda' (in English that stands for Main Road,Puri) from where one can see the famous and imposing Sri Jagannath Temple.I drove towards our hotel beside the sea.We reached in a short while and the time was 7pm.
Upto Puri: 494 Kms.

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 15th April 2009 at 16:33.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:41   #21
BHPian

Epilogue:

The trip was extremely memorable for all of us for more than one reason.It was also a childhood dream-come-true for myself as well.We spent 4 well-earned days there and the weather was so good at that time.Bathing in the lovely sea,great food and to top it all we had the entire hotel to ourselves although at that time,because of the holiday weekend,getting a hotel room was next to impossible.Actually it wasn't a hotel but a Guest House of a MNC with all amenities like parking,etc.

PS: Moderators could you please change the thread title to "Kolkata to Puri,end January 2009"
Old 30th April 2009, 10:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Can anyone post an update on the latest road conditions between Calcutta and Cuttack? My brother is planning to drive down in May.
I think those like btirthankar or the GQ run guys can give the latest and greatest information.
Thanks.
Old 30th April 2009, 13:13   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Guys,
Can anyone post an update on the latest road conditions between Calcutta and Cuttack? My brother is planning to drive down in May.
I think those like btirthankar or the GQ run guys can give the latest and greatest information.
Thanks.
Overall its a green signal from me.

The road surface has been repaired. at the worst stretches.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...lingastan.html
Old 30th April 2009, 13:32   #24
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the quick update---looks like smooth sailing then!
Old 30th April 2009, 15:38   #25
BHPian

I wish I had taken ample pictures in this trip,but most were videos taken on a Sony Handycam.I will try and upload a few of them along with a few pictures taken with my N73.
Old 30th April 2009, 16:12   #26
BHPian

To correct you, "Bada Danda" in Puri doesnt mean Main Road. When translated to english, it means "Grand Road"and that is how it is designated in Puri!
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:48   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep.mishra View Post
To correct you, "Bada Danda" in Puri doesnt mean Main Road. When translated to english, it means "Grand Road"and that is how it is designated in Puri!
Thanks for pointing that out mate.
It indeed is called Grand Road,my bad.
Old 16th November 2010, 21:39   #28
BHPian

Till date,I have done Kolkata-Puri-Kolkata 7 times (yes!),with my Estilo.

Update on roads: mid November 2010

Kona - as usual patches of really bad surface.
till Belda - Good surface.
Belda upto Balasore - Very good concrete surface.
Balasore to Bhadrak - Better than before,with most of the flyovers ready.Few stretches still to be ready.Diversions much less than before.I guess this particular stretch will be absolutely ready in an years time.
Bhadrak to BBSR - good surface,even the number of toll plazas have diminished.
BBSR to Puri - same road condition with very high congestion (mostly 2 wheelers)

Good news - Haven't seen/met the infamous Jaleshwar tax collection booth on my last 3 ventures,since March till date.

Bad news - Bottleneck just after BBSR,as that particular stretch is being widened right now,so chance of getting stuck is high.
Old 17th November 2010, 00:44   #29
BHPian

What was the driving duration with most of the roads done up ?
Old 19th December 2010, 21:48   #30
BHPian

Re: Kolkata to Puri mid november,guidance please

7-8 hours maximum with time for food and other things,and never pushing the throttle too hard.

Last edited by ultimatechamp : 19th December 2010 at 21:50.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks