Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:21   #1
BHPian

Panvel to Goa ( NH17 or ANY OTHER?)

Hi Team,

I have been trying to get detailed info on the route from Panvel to GOA and back via the Pune -- Nipani -- Amboli -- Sawantwadi route.

So far I have always been taking the NH17 to travel with my family every Christmas and find the Ghats section quite tiring for them and also feel that there is a lot of time wasted as well climbing these Ghats. The total distance from Panvel to Margao Goa would be around 580kms for me.

This Year Iam planning to take a different route if possible with your guidance offcourse but will continue using NH17 unless you TeamBhpians specify otherwise.

The Queries that I have are:

1. Is there any other route that can be taken which will relieve me of the Ghat section to some extent ( Less Ghats as compared to NH17?)
2. I feel that I could take Pune expressway to some extent as the roads will be staright and good. Please advice.
3. How many Kms will the new route be as compared to the 580kms via the NH17?
4. Can the new route be easily followed like the NH17 which is pretty straightforward?
5. Could someone guide me with a detailed route plan for the new route? like where to take an exit etc etc...? cause it would be a first time on new roads and would travel during the day.
6. What about the road conditions of the new route as compared to the NH17?
7. last of all what would you guys suggest ? NH17 or the new route ?

Everyone share your experiences on this as my decision will be based upon your feedbacks.

Cheers,

Peter.
Old 23rd October 2008, 01:33   #2
BHPian

I can tell you what a lot of my relatives have been doing last few years - using the Pune highway till Nipani, Ajra, Amboli, Sawantwadi and Goa. The road is super all the way to Nipani, which is probably about 320 km from Pune, and you should be able to do this section in four hours. Panvel to Pune also can be done mostly on the expressway I think. Others may cast more light on this. Pune to Goa is abt 440 km.
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:10   #3
BHPian

Three friends + Wife, me did this in a Indigo Marina, last october, I have been using the NH17 for GOA since 2001, and love it for the drive pleasure, but if I want to travel strees free and fatigue free, it will be via Pune highway till Nipani, Ajra, Amboli, Sawantwadi and Goa. Wide, straight roads, a more kms compared to NH17, but much faster.
Also check out with H.V.Kumar (road bible). And since you are gonna be doing this during Xmas, NH17 should have more vehicles than normal.

All the best
Old 23rd October 2008, 13:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
I can tell you what a lot of my relatives have been doing last few years - using the Pune highway till Nipani, Ajra, Amboli, Sawantwadi and Goa. The road is super all the way to Nipani, which is probably about 320 km from Pune, and you should be able to do this section in four hours. Panvel to Pune also can be done mostly on the expressway I think. Others may cast more light on this. Pune to Goa is abt 440 km.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
Three friends + Wife, me did this in a Indigo Marina, last october, I have been using the NH17 for GOA since 2001, and love it for the drive pleasure, but if I want to travel strees free and fatigue free, it will be via Pune highway till Nipani, Ajra, Amboli, Sawantwadi and Goa. Wide, straight roads, a more kms compared to NH17, but much faster.
Also check out with H.V.Kumar (road bible). And since you are gonna be doing this during Xmas, NH17 should have more vehicles than normal.

All the best
Team,

Thanks for your inputs on this , will check out with H.V. Kumar as suggested. Yes indeed Stress free and Fatigue free driving is what Iam looking at as I will be reaching Mumbai from Uk and leaving the same day for Goa and may have problems adjusting to the Time zones and Body clock ..hence would prefer a more comfortable route.

I will take the Panvel---Pune----Nipani---Ajra---Amboli---Sawantwadi--Goa then , could someone having detailed route info share it with me please ? like a route chart or something so that I dont get lost ?

Also if I start with the Pune expressway starting from Panvel does it actually take me to Nipani bypassing Pune or through Pune?

If through Pune then is it a straight road to Nipani from Pune then?

Apologise for so many Queries team , its just that I havent made the trip on that route before so need to be well prepared as iam taking my Family along with me.

Cheers,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter : 23rd October 2008 at 13:48. Reason: Adding info
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:00   #5
BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/route-...preciated.html
Bombay - to - Pune is a simple"impossible to get lost" route ...After pune (not the city continue on the Xpresssway) you take NH-4 from pune via katraj-kolhapur go upto nipani just after nipani town take a right turn(no need to go till belgaum) and go via Ajra-amboli till sawantwadi(NH-17) from sawantwadi you will pass through goa border much better roads, and no traffic did this route around the same time last year, as most of the trip (bombay till Nipani) is on 4 lane highways, good speeds and peace of mind.

All the best and have a good time

---------------------------------

"Did you exchange a walk-in part in a war for a lead role in a cage."
Old 23rd October 2008, 15:12   #6
BHPian

Neofromcapone ..Thanks for the info Mate

Last edited by Peter : 23rd October 2008 at 15:12. Reason: Text Modify
Old 25th October 2008, 10:59   #7
BHPian

Have a great trip Peter. Since you are starting the trip after a long flight, try and get good sleep on the plane before embarking on the drive, leave early, take frequent breaks, no heavy lunches, coffee and Red Bull staves off the waves of sleep after lunch!
Old 25th October 2008, 15:55   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Have a great trip Peter. Since you are starting the trip after a long flight, try and get good sleep on the plane before embarking on the drive, leave early, take frequent breaks, no heavy lunches, coffee and Red Bull staves off the waves of sleep after lunch!
Hey Filcord,

Thanks for the tip especially regarding Red Bull ..

Cheers

Peter.
Old 25th October 2008, 16:13   #9
BHPian

Route Summary

Hi Team,

After Going through the replies I have received regarding the route Panvel--Pune---Nipani--Ajra--Amboli---Sawantwadi---Goa and after going through the various posts I have summarised what Ive been able to understand of the

Please add your inputs or correct me wherever I may have gone wrong.

Start on the Expressway for Pune and continue onwards ( No need to enter Pune )

Take NH-4 from Pune via Katraj-Kolhapur go upto NIPANI ( Where do I join the NH4 ? ..is there a Exit somewhere along the Pune Expressway ? Please advice )

Take the exit off NIPANI near KAVERI Hotel which is around 3 to 4 km from the actual town on Nipani.

(Landmark being ….Kaveri Hotel on your left. At that point, turn to the right, and you will see a signboard pointing to Panaji 165 kms….correct me if Iam wrong here)

From NIPANI continue to Ajra -> Amboli -> Sawantwadi -> On to NH17 -> Continue till Panaji. ( Is the route from Nipani to Amboli a straight route or will I have to ask for directions ? are there milestones that can be followed? )

Last query being …How many Ghats will I be crossing while taking this route?

Anything that I may have missed please let me know.

Awaiting your inputs on this

Cheers,

Peter.

Last edited by Peter : 25th October 2008 at 16:20.
Old 26th October 2008, 18:57   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
( Is the route from Nipani to Amboli a straight route or will I have to ask for directions ? are there milestones that can be followed? )

Last query being …How many Ghats will I be crossing while taking this route?
Oy Pedro
From Nipani, you will have to ask for directions, especially how to exit. after that ask whenever you have doubts till Amboli. Amboli to Sawantwadi is a straight run, just before sawantwadi market is the left turn to Goa.
all the ghats on the expressway are a piece of cake.
Amboli ghat is where you need to keep an eye on the road since the views are spectacular and distracting.
Old 23rd December 2008, 01:38   #11
BHPian

Hi all!!

planning to go to Goa this Xmas and I would be traveling by road for the first time and I have heard NH17 is very scenic. I plan to leave early(5 am) from Mumbai. I would like to know a few things regarding it

1) Although the route looks pretty straight forward are their particular stretch of road (ghats)/turns I need to take care of?
2)Any good eateries where we can stop by for breakfast/lunch?

Thanks alot for all your help.
Old 23rd December 2008, 10:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelWake View Post
1) Although the route looks pretty straight forward are their particular stretch of road (ghats)/turns I need to take care of?
2)Any good eateries where we can stop by for breakfast/lunch?
entire section of nh17 from panvel to goa is scenic.
on map, it may look straight but actually it is full with twist and turns and ghat. drive slowly and safely in ghat section. driver should not enjoy beauty of nature while driving and should concentrate more on driving.

lot of good eateries are on road.
at mahad, vithal kamat restaurant is there right on highway.
at chiplun, good hotels are there for lunch.

drive safe.
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:52   #13
BHPian

@ Peter

Once you exit Expressway at Pune, you are on the Pune Bypass. Go straight and after about 20 odd kms, there is a bifurcation of road. One goes to left towards Katraj and the straight one takes a flyover towards Kolhapur. Keeping going and you will go through the Katraj Tunnel and then Join the old Katraj exit on NH 4. Rest you already know.

Regarding Ghats, just take care on Khambatki Ghats and as someone else mention, Amboli Ghats after Nippani. Khandala ghat is no issue at all. Pretty much straight forward 4 lane roads.
Old 23rd December 2008, 13:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by given2fly View Post
Once you exit Expressway at Pune, you are on the Pune Bypass. Go straight and after about 20 odd kms, there is a bifurcation of road.
man,
he is starting from bombay, not pune.

though thread is started by peter, i have answered to wheelwake.
peter has already made goa trip.

Last edited by ASHISHPALLOD : 23rd December 2008 at 13:59.
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:08   #15
BHPian

@wheel, option 1 is Bombay - Vashi - Panvel - vadkal naka - then left - and then stay on that road till you get to goa and turn as per your dest (north or south goa)
Places to halt: Chiplun, bang in the middle of the journey, there is a pure for sure pump in chiplun, had a good enough resturant opp it. if you have the time dig into the erstwhile taj property now quality inn (food may not b piping fresh).

Option 2; (recomendded) refer my post for above which peter took.
Places to eat: plenty of options upto kholapur so finish eating before you take the right for the amboli ghat.

word of advice: ensure you get to you dest before sunset, things may get crowded on xmas eve, so avoidable and well get u time to rest.

Hope I am not too late, but have a great trip and merry xmas.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks