Team-BHP > Travelogues > Route / Travel Queries
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2008, 18:29   #1
BHPian

Transit visa for london

Hi guys

i am coming to india for 1 month on december 7th from US. i am thinking of booking through virgin atlantic. but i have to change flights in London Heathrow terminal 3. i arrive in london from Newark (EWR ) at 8.00 PM the flight to bombay is at 10.00 PM. so do i need a transit visa for that. i will not be leaving the airport.

MODS : I Searched but could not find any details about it so i opened a new topic. if i posted in the wrong place please move it to appropriate forum.

Thanks
Old 27th October 2008, 19:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

No. I'm pretty sure you wont need a transit visa if you are not going out of the airport.
Old 27th October 2008, 19:11   #3
BHPian

Dear Abhiram,

You do not need to apply for transit visa in this case as long as you are not getting out of the airport.

OT:Are you taking another VS flight from London to Mumbai?. Isnt 2 hours a bit too close?. No issues if you are flying via Virgin to Mumbai.
Old 27th October 2008, 21:12   #4
BHPian

yes i am flying from london to mumbai via virgin so that will not be a problem.

Thanks for the answer nikhil and artofzen.
Old 28th October 2008, 11:12   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

No transit visa as long as you stay within the passenger interchange lounges. You won't really have much time to loiter around especially if the EWR-LHR flight is even a bit late!

DO ensure you through-check in your luggage to BOM and collect your LHR-BOM boarding cards at EWR itself. The transit desks at LHR can have horrendous queues!
Old 31st October 2008, 12:10   #6
BHPian

Abhiram, please check up with your travel agent - I am almost sure that you will need the transit Visa for UK. Rules have been changed in the recent times and AFAIK you need the transit visa just to touch down UK.
Old 31st October 2008, 13:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

You wont need a transit visa, infact you wont even need to go thru immigration if you just changing flights. All you need is your on ward journey ticket and a vaid Indian Visa (if you not an Indian Citizen)

I know this as when i used to join my ships in Miami from India, i used to transit at Heathrow, and no Visa was required.

My only suggestion would be to book your luggage to India straight from Newark as sometimes 2 hours is to less a time to do all this stuff. And check at the terminal gate at heathrow before you board your fight to India, if your luggage has been loaded on the flight.
Old 31st October 2008, 14:01   #8
BHPian

I said transit visa is required becasue, last week my wife was travelling to Dublin and Carlson Travels - her travel agents - suggested her to avoid London. They mentioned she required transit Visa for London as per the new rules and had very less time to apply for the same.

However if this is not the case, I stand corrected.
Old 25th November 2008, 07:46   #9
BHPian

Which flight was she supposed to take to Dublin from London?. Most probably it must have been a flight from either Stanstead/Luton/Gatwick airports which is far away from Heathrow where most flights from India arrive.
Old 25th November 2008, 13:42   #10
BHPian

If you do not have a valid visa for the UK, you WILL NEED A TRANSIT visa for the UK.

This is mandatory.
Check Do I need a visa?

Any carrier will first check your visa (transit or otherwise) and only then will they let you check in.

This is true if there is an equipment change (aircraft change, where you have to leave your arriving aircraft and change into another aircraft). As both VS & BA have a hub in LHR/LGW you will need a transit visa to step out of your aircraft.

Let me have more information on your present US visa so that you can be guided correctly I assume you do not have visa for the US as mentioned in the website.

regards

M M

Last edited by mmmjgm : 25th November 2008 at 13:58.
Old 25th November 2008, 14:26   #11
BHPian

Dear Friend,

Hethrow is a big airport.

Firstly you go to transfer counter if you dont have the onward boarding card.
If you have onward boarding card , check in the help desk where the boarding
gate is and the time of the boarding. Once you locate the place of the boarding
you can walk arround. For this visa is not required.
If the onward flight is over 8 hours gap then only they issue transit visa.

Hope this information helps .

Thanks
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:37   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Transit visa for london

Quick query on UK visa (standard visitor visa) - in the list of documents, it is not mentioned about photographs. Are they required?

Link: https://www.gov.uk/standard-visitor-visa
Old 23rd November 2016, 12:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by menonrajesh View Post
I said transit visa is required ... They mentioned she required transit Visa for London as per the new rules ...
Hi Rajesh, was your wife having the same airline / carrier or was it different carriers for that itinerary. If you are using LHR as a point to take another (local / regional ) carrier, then it involves moving across terminals. In the case of the OP - he has the same Airline so other than the security screening (once for sure, sometimes twice) there is no need for a Transit Visa - his passport will not be getting an immigration stamp for UK.
Old 28th November 2016, 09:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ01 View Post
Hi Rajesh, was your wife having the same airline / carrier or was it different carriers for that itinerary. If you are using LHR as a point to take another (local / regional ) carrier, then it involves moving across terminals. In the case of the OP - he has the same Airline so other than the security screening (once for sure, sometimes twice) there is no need for a Transit Visa - his passport will not be getting an immigration stamp for UK.
If you're changing terminals then yes transit visa would be required. If you're booking via make my trip, clear trip etc, most of these websites mention it clearly when you select such an itenary.
Old 28th November 2016, 12:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

If you have an Indian passport and a valid US visa (which I assume because you are coming over from the US and are checking for transit visas)

You should not need a DATV (direct airside transit visa) if you stay within Heathrow. Meaning - if you don't exit the airport to another one - such as one flight arriving at Gatwick and then your India flight taking off from LHR, or where there is an overnight stay involved at London.

https://www.gov.uk/check-uk-visa/y/i...ewhere_else/no

---------

Exemptions
You don’t need a visa if you have one of the following:

a visa for Canada, New Zealand, Australia or the USA (this can be used for travel to any country)

---------

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhiram7912 View Post
Hi guys

i am coming to india for 1 month on december 7th from US. i am thinking of booking through virgin atlantic. but i have to change flights in London Heathrow terminal 3. i arrive in london from Newark (EWR ) at 8.00 PM the flight to bombay is at 10.00 PM. so do i need a transit visa for that. i will not be leaving the airport.

MODS : I Searched but could not find any details about it so i opened a new topic. if i posted in the wrong place please move it to appropriate forum.

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks